Challenge of Champions [2v2]: Ambrosia/Atticus vs. Max/Mara

I think I am here.

Predictions and Thoughts!  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win this fight?

• Ambrosia/Atticus (Ark1002)
    • Max/Mara (Itiah)
  2. 2. Would you like to see more 2v2 battles?

41 minutes ago, Ark1002 said:

I want to win, but I'm scared what will happen with Atticus if I do... so I hope to win with Atticus dead.

I feel ya. I also want to win, but I think there’s a strong chance one of the twins is going to die, so I’ve prepared what’ll happen to Mara if Max dies and what will happen to Max if Mara dies... and neither of the options are good.

Also, ouch, point blank bullet to the face.

Also, what does this mean now? Do I control Atticus? How does that work? Is he like another character I can use now? I need to get Archer up in here to explain this to me before I do anything. :P

@Archer

Night frowned. There seemed to be an unusual amount of excitement among the spectators. True, the battle was getting more intense than ever, nearly to its climax- but there was something happening in the stands. Night narrowed his eyes. Then he saw it. On the other side of the stands, a double bagel. 

Now, Night wasn't quite sure what he was seeing. To be honest, he'd never even heard of something as outlandish as a double bagel. And maybe it was the Ones Above toying with his thoughts, but Night knew was that he absolutely must have one of those bagels. Nin and Hateka, his Aviar, sensed Night's powerful emotions and took flight, diving towards the man with the tennis racket and the double bagel.

Edited by PrinceDusty

Atticus: 62 HP

Ambrosia: 87 HP

Max: 50 HP

Mara: 33 HP

I'm not in a position to comment on any long term impacts of combatant's actions. However, I can describe what I think will happen between Atticus and Max. 

The shot to the face, if it does not him, may break Max's control of Atticus. It depends if he's able to maintain the rioting. If Max can, he'll be able to give Atticus suggestions that Atticus will be inclined to follow. Atticus will resist suggestions less the more general, appealing, and similar to his normal routine they are. (But if Max is clever, he can trick Atticus the way Ruin tricked Spook). For example, getting him to shoot Ambrosia will be harder than getting him to punch a wall. Getting him to repair his power pack will be harder to do than getting him to destroy it. Max has a pretty good hold over him, so these kind of things are possible, but it will all come down to Atticus' internal struggle to resist Max and stay true to his code of conduct. The more Max pushes, the more compliant Atticus will be, but he'll be capable of less too (since his brain's being fried). That's my take on the matter. I'll be very interested in seeing how it plays out. 

Isaac loaded his double bagel launcher (which looked like a T-shirt cannon, but the name didn't conflict with any trademarks) and started firing the sweet breadstuff at random people in the crowd.

"People of Stadium! The day has come. Consume this delicious snack, and join the double bagel revolution! You know it's safe because everybody's doing it!" He laughed in a manner that was nothing short of maniacal. 

Edited by Archer

Fang Steelpushed himself into the air after noticing his fellow Ghostblood's distress at not getting one of the many flying pastries that soared around the stadium. He grabbed one in his mouth and absently batted away an annoyingly large brightly-colored bird as it tried to steal it from him. He landed on the other side of the arena, squishing some poor man, and hopped into the aisle, Slicking his paws and running to back to Night's and his seats. He jumped back onto the chair and nosed Night's head, proffering the double bagel with pride. 

On 04/10/2018 at 10:48 AM, Ark1002 said:

Atticus screamed, and howled, and twitched. He squirmed on top of Max, in a incredibly base and primal form, then it hit him. He froze, starting to become under the control of Max. He was weakened, nearly controlled, and pulled out his small handgun. Fumbling, he shot it at Max's head from point blank. Then he went still. He was under Max's control.

Ambrosia's knife flew true, sinking into the exposed neck, and she smiled. She pulled it out, blood gleaming. Then she saw Atticus. Spasming. Rust and Ruin! 

Max was winning. He felt Atticus’ mind bend under his influence. He had just about taken control when Atticus took out a shaky gun and pointed it at Max’s head.

Max only had half a second to manoeuvre his face out of the bullet’s path but he was too slow. The bullet whizzed and smashed into his ear. Pain coursed through Max as he clutched it and screamed. As Atticus stopped squirming Max tried to crawl into a ball, and then it hit him why Atticus wasn’t attacking.

Max was in agony, but a small part of him still held on, still kept up the Riot on Atticus’ mind. He felt it, cracked and broken, and a little part of him was disturbed at what he’d done. Another part was in glee. He’d done it. He was in control.

The feeling swept past Max and almost dimmed the pain, like a drug. He was in control. He might have sustained an injury, but Atticus was his now.

Opening his eyes a fraction Max caught a glimpse of Ambrosia. She looked worried, and was looking towards Atticus. She wouldn’t know, would she?

Leaning towards Atticus’ ear, Max whispered a command through gritted teeth.

“Pretend. Pretend nothing happened, that you shot me and that’s all. Pretend you’re not under my control, and gain her trust. You can do that, can’t you? You do that all the time. Isn’t it appealing? Pretend you’re still on her side. Pretend I don’t own you. And then, when she least expects it, I’ll tell you when to strike.”

Max forced himself to his knees, and then his feet, walking away about ten paces, and then tapped some more Nicrosil to enhance the zinc more, just for good measure.

She’d nicked her. That was all. Mara had a knife in her neck, and all she’d done in return was nick Ambrosia with her swords. It was nothing. It was pathetic, really. Mara would’ve done something now if she wasn’t in shock.

Oh. Ambrosia. She grabbed onto the knife in Mara’s neck and pulled it out. Still in shock, she thought, slightly bored. Still -

AAAAAAHHHHH

Ow. Owwwww. Mara’s neck racked with pain as she felt rage burn within her. Oh, that hurts, she growled mentally, looking towards Ambrosia, who seemed distracted looking at Atticus. Oohh, you’re going to wish you never even did that.

Crawling closer and taking off one of her Shardplate gloves, Mara observed the glowing red Aon Sheo embossed in it. Holding the glowing gauntlet in her other hand, Mara got up on her feet before throwing it as hard as she could to the back of Ambrosia’s head, Aon Sheo still glowing.

Ambrosia saw something out of the corner of her eye and tapped steel, going four times regular speed. She saw the fist, and realized she couldn't dodge in time. So she pulled out her gemheart and teleported, not knowing where she would land.

She opened her eyes, appearing to be in some form of tunnels, underground and with no sunlight in sight.

"What in the storms?"

Atticus's rage was contained, but it fought at the bond. It tried to splinter it, tried to spread to another human. If he became powerful enough... he could take Max instead.

He fought himself as he walked closer to Ambrosia, who was about to be attacked. Then she disappeared.

Ha. Lets see him take advantage of me now.

Atticus: 62 HP [36 points of damage possibly pending]

Max: 43 HP

Remind me to order more gold metalminds. We’re going to need them afterwards. The bullet Max took to the ear will have an impact on his ability to hear (obviously). The pain and bleeding will be a hindrance as well. But it’s survivable. I’ll put the damage at 7 HP.

As for the thrown glove attack, let’s talk this out. Mara throws the glove at Ambrosia. Atticus approaches Ambrosia. Ambrosia disappears. The glove… I’ll let Itiah decide what it hits. ;)

In the tunnels, Ambrosia will be met by a very surprised cadmium misting and an Elantrian. To get out, she's going to have to teleport again, the elevator's too slow. If she tries to stay down there, the Elantrian will teleport her out, but he's likely to drop her off in an inconvenient spot out of spite, so you'd be better to leave of your own free will. You are teleporting blind though, so you might end up somewhere just as bad (since the combatants are likely to move from where they were when you left). 

Isaac paused. Something big had just happened. Ambrosia had disappeared. Did she just vaporize her? Cool! he thought. 

12 hours ago, Ark1002 said:

Ambrosia saw something out of the corner of her eye and tapped steel, going four times regular speed. She saw the fist, and realized she couldn't dodge in time. So she pulled out her gemheart and teleported, not knowing where she would land.

She opened her eyes, appearing to be in some form of tunnels, underground and with no sunlight in sight.

"What in the storms?"

Atticus's rage was contained, but it fought at the bond. It tried to splinter it, tried to spread to another human. If he became powerful enough... he could take Max instead.

He fought himself as he walked closer to Ambrosia, who was about to be attacked. Then she disappeared.

Ha. Lets see him take advantage of me now.

Max saw Atticus walk towards Ambrosia and Ambrosia dissapear  just as a glowing red gauntlet sailed through the air where she had once been. Looking at it from a distance, Max could see how Atticus was standing near to where the glove would land.

“Get hit!” He yelled at Atticus, commanding the armoured man to step into the path of the glove.

Now, where had Ambrosia gone?

Mara dropped to the ground as Ambrosia disappeared, unable to keep her balance. She fumbled, attempting to get up again but failing. Ambrosia had dissapeared, and Mara didn’t have one of her gloves.

Well, if she wasn’t fighting right this moment, the least she could do was prepare. She wasn’t going to be taken by surprise again.

Getting herself into a kneeling position and then a -albeit clumsy- standing postion, Mara took the time to bring out an assortment of daggers and coins from her coat, ready to Push into the next enemy that moved.

She saw Atticus moved, and prepared to attack, but Max raised a hand, his eyes telling her all she needed to know. He’d done it. Controlling a spiked was one of the most despicable things someone could do, in Mara’s mind. Controlling Hemalurgy had been what led to the Abominations, and for that reason Mara had never told Max how to do it. 

But he’d figured it out, it seemed, and Mara wasn’t sure whether to be proud, relieved or disturbed, because Max looked pleased at his control.

Or maybe that was just her mind acting up.

Atticus: 26 HP

Max: 43 HP

The Sheo harms Atticus. 

I'll also not take any blood loss damage for the twins, assuming that they'll take the opportunity to bandage their wounds etc.

The double bagel food truck appeared and sat on both Isaac and Stush.

Edited by Archer

Fang happily licked Night’s face a couple of times, knowing that human had only two reactions to that: acceptance of their fate or disgust. He then looked back at the arena, his tongue still hanging out of his mouth, and noticed two things. 

Ambrosia had disappeared. 

Atticus was being controlled by one of those Rioter monstrosities. 

That was wrong. No dog should have to worry about having their actions influenced by a Rioter or Soother. Of course, whoever was doing the Rioting usually lacked a conscience, and they had no trouble hurting other people, even when it wasn’t necessary. Dogs aren’t the playthings of Rioters or Soothers, no matter how many spikes! Fang thought at that soulless kid who had taken charge of Atticus’s brain. Fang nudged Night with his nose and gestured at the arena with a paw.

Edited by Archer

Sorry about my inactivity, I was busy all day yesterday and most of today.

Atticus saw the gauntlet. It would go in front of him.

Then the voice.

"Go in front of it!"

He stepped forward.

Then stopped.

Time seemed to slow as he fought. Don't do it! I don't want to die! Do it! Step forward! NO! I WON'T! You will do it, or YOU WILL DIE!!! NO! Atticus hesitated as the guantlet flew toward him. He tried to go forward then stopped. And back flipped out of the way.

"I AM NOT YOUR SLAVE!!! YOU NEED TO DIE FOR THAT!"

A strange feeling filled him. And he was temporarily stabilized by pure force of his rage.

Ambrosia saw the two standing in the tunnels. They looked angry, rushing towards her. So she teleported again.

Ambrosia landed silently behind Mara. She stood there, looking around. And saw what happened to Atticus. She looked back down, at Mara. And then at Max. Rage filled her. Then it was replaced by a sense of purpose. So she whispered under her breath, words she never thought she would say.

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."

She reached down, grabbing Mara's hand. Her cold hand gripped hers.

"I have to end this. For my brother."

Then she DIVIDED.

Welcome back, Ark!

Because of the events that led up to it, I've still got to have the Sheo harm Atticus (as I did previously). He was blindsided by it, he didn't have time to move. He was headed towards Ambrosia, Mara threw the glove at Ambrosia, Ambrosia telported, causing the glove to fly through where she'd been and into Atticus, who couldn't see it before because Ambrosia had been in the way. 

As for Ambrosia, I guess since Mara didn't move, she could conceivably teleport behind her. But I've got to draw the line at becoming a KR mid-fight. The circumstances are right for it, but it's really not fair for the other contestant. It gives you too much of an advantage. I'd prefer to have these duels be a contest of ability to write and use your resources effectively, to react to your circumstances using what you're got and what you can find in your environment. Ambrosia already has lots of investiture. She has a lot of potential. Develop what you've got before adding new stuff, to paraphrase Brandon. So please, rework that last post.