Challenge of Champions [2v2]: Ambrosia/Atticus vs. Max/Mara

I think I am here.

Predictions and Thoughts!  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win this fight?

• Ambrosia/Atticus (Ark1002)
    • Max/Mara (Itiah)
  2. 2. Would you like to see more 2v2 battles?

I'm pretty sure @Grey Knight said steelpushing didn't work on power armor, but with the sheer power level I'll respond with it working partly.

Atticus felt incredibly strong emotions, dampened by his power armor's resistance. All he felt was anger. Sheer anger. He continued to cause pain in Max. Then he started to stumble. And fell over entirely, landing on the ground about 10 feet from Max. He hit the ground, and hoping Ambrosia would help, looked back at the girl, Mara, and focused the lense on her head, trying to cause as much damage as possible, so she wouldn't do that again.

Ambrosia saw Atticus hit the ground and knew she needed to help. She tapped steel and burned pewter, running toward Max.. She pulled out her shockwave hammer and swung it straight at him, directly at the helm.

Atticus: 98 HP

Ambrosia: 100 HP

Max: 77 HP

Mara: 90 HP

Argh. I'm having an internal debate about whether a Torture's Lens has an effective range. I'm leaning towards yes, it does, but the only info I've got to go on is the precedent of its use of Grandpa Smurf  Smedry. I think what I'll do is make it so that the closer you are, the more effective it is (because you can target specific areas of the body). 

I too have questions for GK about how invested Power Armour is. Even if it is, I suspect that the power pack of the Hellgun isn't, so you'd be pushed by that. Itiah didn't say anything specific that she pushed on, so I'll assume she blasted at everything that had lines running to it. So, Atticus is Pushed back by his backpack, gun, lenses etc, but nothing goes flying away because nothing's specifically being targeted. - 2 HP (because some of the Push probably hit the lens he has on, pushing it into the skin around his eye).

Now, to be fair, Max did use 'Duralumin level rioting' on Atticus. Dampener or not, I don't think he'd be capable of using his lens to hit Mara right now. They require concentration, and to not have duralium-level allomancy use have any noticeable effect would be... disappointing. 

@Grey Knight (summoning for Power Armour expertise) 

44 minutes ago, Ark1002 said:

She tapped steel and burned pewter, running toward Max.. She pulled out her shockwave hammer and swung it straight at him, directly at the helm.

[headcanon] Ambrosia wielding a shockhammer while steelrunning, Era Two (colorized):

Hammertime.gif.4b2026c838c0608c37b470869c1a2279.gif

Fair enough. The effects of emotional allomancy is hard to quantify though, so I'm relying a lot on your judgement to get the responses right. I don't want to make one character practically useless by ruling badly on these instances.

Edited by Archer

Mara Pushed.

Though she steadied herself, Mara still felt her boots sliding across the compacted dirt of the arena floor. Looking back up, she saw what she’d done. Atticus lay almost 10 feet away from Max. 

Good, she mentally grumbled in her head. No one attacks my brother. Only I attack my brother.

Something else came in her head at the same time. Pain. No, not again!

Arrrrgh!

Mara clutched her head, feeling it throb and ache and hurt. Thankfully, the effect seemed to be weaker than it was before. Was it because of the distance?

Regardless, the pain was less, and added to the fact that Mara’s armour was always calming her and keeping her level-headed through Aons, and Mara knew what she had to do.

Dropping a coin to her left, Mara pushed and hurled herself out of Atticus’ line of sight. She didn’t know much about Lenses, but she’d heard you’d need to be looking at a target for it to work. As she landed next to the 15 foot stone wall that surrounded the arena, she noted the large industrial spotlights along it. Huh.

Grabbing onto one of the spotlights, Mara stretched her armour’s strength and tore it out from the ground, throwing it at Atticus and propelling it to high speeds with her steelpushing. It was effectively a spotlight-cannonball.

“Hey, I heard you wanted to e famous!” Mara remarked as she throw another spotlight, Pushing it at Atticus and watching it trail the first.

She picked up a third along the wall, and shot that too. “How does it feel now to be in the spotlight?”

Max was just happy he wasn’t fighting Atticus anymore. That man’s armour was tough. Ambrosia, he could deal with. Ambrosia didn’t have any armour.

As she ran towards him all Max saw was a blur. A very scary blur. Wait, what was that? Max stretched his eyes and the Aons helped him. A hammer. She was running at high speeds and was going to swing a hammer at him? Oh no.

Max only had a split second to react. Ambrosia was fast. Now he sort of understood said Rashan was hard to beat.

Digging his heels into the ground, Max raised his hands, activating the Aons all over his armour. Durability, strength, stability. The air shimmered and a green defensive field surrounded him. With Ambrosia steelrunning, Max wondered how bad the shield would hurt when she ran into it.

Ark, I will be disappointed if Atticus doesn’t react to that pun :P

Edited by I think I am here.

Ambrosia: 100 HP

Max: 77 HP [hammer damage pending]

Mara: 86 HP

There's no extra points for witty banter. :P Also, you have to pay for any damages you cause to the stadium. Spotlights are 100C apiece. Plus installation fees. 

- 4 for the torturer's lens attack. 

I'm going to hold off listing the damage of the hammer attack until after I see what Ambrosia does. 

5 hours ago, Archer said:

There's no extra points for witty banter. :P Also, you have to pay for any damages you cause to the stadium. Spotlights are 100C apiece. Plus installation fees. 

The Canton of Combat will (and always has) cover the costs for Arena repairs, ever since Devaan almost lit the stadium on fire by setting himself on fire. Just bill the canton and they'll send some men over to fix it.

Devaan studied the fight carefully. They were keeping it to ranged attacks. Why were they doing that? Max would be more suited close-up and Mara could back him up. Atticus and Ambrosia should be trying to whittle away at the twins, using range, It seemed that those two had the upper hand in this fight right now. The Power armour was a very valuable tool, but not as strong as the armour that the twins were wearing. Devaan made them himself. All they had to do was push themselves and the armour would lend them a hand. Devaan finished off his chouta anxiously and hurriedly ordered a horneater dish that he couldn't pronounce. Astiel looked at Devaan astounded.

"How are you not bigger than the training grounds?" He asked incredulously.

"Bendalloy Feruchemy" Devaan mumbled through the food

"He eats less when he's in public" Silphio muttered

"I heard that!" 

"I didn't understand that, with all the food in your mouth"

"Just watch the damnation fight Silph"

"Yes sir"

Astiel smiled. Silphio hovered in the air to try get a better view of the arena.

Atticus got up, then widened his eye as the spotlights hurled toward him. He turned around and sat down, steel showing him exactly where they are. The world of blue could be helpful. Very helpful.

"Eh, it's okay. I always thought it would feel better, and be a bit less scary."

He clicked the button on the side of his head and switched to Transporters Lense. He turned, looking at Mara, and teleported.

Standing behind her head, he clicked again. Flamebringers lense. 

"It's time to bring on the heat."

He fired.

Ambrosia's eyes widened at the Aon shield. She hadn't seen that coming. She leapt into the air, and, flaring pewter, pulled out her second hammer. She brought them both down toward the shield as hard as she could.

I try not to disappoint.

Edited by Ark1002

13 minutes ago, Ark1002 said:

He clicked the button on the side of his head and switched to Transporters Lense.

Just for clarification, I imagine him having a cylindrical container of lenses built into his helmet by his eye, then they pop out over his eye when you flick the appropriate switch. Is that accurate? 

Ambrosia: 96 HP

Mara: 86 HP

So, now I have to decide how strong the shield is. My headcanon for Max right now is that he's dressed up like that DC hero, Blue Beetle. (And Atticus is Firestorm. 'Bring on the heat' is kinda like 'the heat is on!', right?). Anyway, Ambrosia's bringing down those hammers at the speed of an arrow, but they have the weight of hammers. That would do about 30 points of damage to the average person, but I'm going to rule that the forcefield holds. It dissipates afterwards, but protects him from the initial hit. To Ambrosia, it feels like she just hit a brick wall with a hammer. If it were her fists, that would do a lot of damage. But she was holding them by handles so.... - 4 HP for hitting what was an unexpected obstacle at high speed (her armour absorbed any other damage).

CORRECTION: Itiah, assume Ark meant to write 'Traveler's Lens' not 'Transporters Lens'. 

And if Itiah doesn't mention it, the spotlights will smash into the far wall. Despite being out of Atticus' line of sight, pulling the spotlights out would be noisy, so he'd have time to register the attack. That's why his action was acceptable.

26 minutes ago, Ark1002 said:

I think you are forgetting about the shockwave though. The technology would have made the blast a lot more powerful, and I think it would still damage him, though not nearly at full.

That's why I had the forcefield dissipate. I felt that it was strong enough to take a lot of damage, and to redirect the force of the blast away from him, but it would be expended in the process.

Fang does, as a matter of fact, enjoy being scratched. 

As he leaped into the air with the power of a Steelpush, Fang summoned his friend from Shadesmar into his mouth as a long rod and used the sunlight of the day to make it gleam obnoxiously. He dropped back into his seat a moment later and savored how many of the spectators were shaking their heads and covering their eyes. He howled again and felt his spren form, visible to everyone else, on his head, howling as well. 

Max felt the shield disappear and looked up. Ambrosia was directly above him. She’d swung her hammer at the shield, it appeared. That was bad.

What was good, however, was that Max could predict her landing. Taking one step and outstretching his Shardplate hand, he reached out for Ambrosia’s foot, to pull her sharply to the ground.

When he was done, he grabbed Ambrosia and attempted the tightest bear hug he could make, flaring his Aons to just squeeze.

He Rioted Ambrosia too. Whatever pain she felt would feel worse.

“It’s time to bring on the heat.”

Mara tried not to double over laughing, despite the fact that her spotlight attack had failed horribly. On the far wall, the spotlights smashed into debree.

On the other hand. Mara knew where Atticus was now. Behind her. Close. And presumably attacking with some sort of fire weapon.

Turning around abruptly Mara took a chestful of brief flame before ducking, counting on her Shardplate’s Aonic manoeuvrability and speed to slide between the legs of Atticus, appearing behind.

Power source. All of the Marines at the Canton said the weakness was the power source. Take that away, and you were just a man with an insanely heavy armour.

Grabbing on the power armour backpack firmly, stamping her feet on the cold dirt ground, Mara got the backpack in a hold before Pushing on everything else on Atticus’ armour.

She also Pushed on the Spotlight debree. While Pushing Atticus would send him backwards, Pushing on the spotlight debree would push Mara and the backpack power source the other way. Hopefully the two powerful pushes could tear the pack off of Atticus’ back.

As she strained underneath the pressure, she found her voice.

“Hey, stop fighting,” She croaked to Atticus. “You’re Pushing yourself too hard.”

Ba dum tiss

Fuuuny joke

Night laughed deeply at Fang's impulsive trick and scratched the hound's back as he landed. Ambrosia and Atticus seemed to have the upper hand, but Max and Mara seemed to be getting the hang of it quickly. He wouldn't be surprised if the tide turned.

Edited by PrinceDusty

Being squeezed, Ambrosia felt pain. (Assuming not more then normal, as he didn't say it was.) Her Sentinel robes should have protected her more, but the rioting made it worse. Her brain went into a more primordial state, seeking weaknesses. She had dropped the hammers on the ground, and Max was armored, but still. Then it came to her. She pulled out her gemheart. Then she appeared slightly in front of Max, hoping the absence of her would tumble him to the ground. Then she pulled out her laser rifle and shot toward the middle of his body as many times as she could manage in short concession. Hopefully the Aon defenses will be totally exhausted after that.

Atticus felt the push. If he didn't do something it would break the energy to his power armor. So he did something. He pulled off his helmet, turned around, and spat in the eye slit of her helmet. Space Marines have acid spit. At the same time he strained, pulling out of her grip, but was pushed some. Then, angry, he flipped in the air and shot at her with his gun, while also using iron on her to bring her closer.

"I can't unless you start pulling your weight."

So, to summarize, this should have been named: Pun Wars, Atticus vs. Mara

Meanwhile, Grey Knight was beaming with joy. Somehow, his half-baked, utterly random Warhammer 40k concepts were being actually taken seriously.

It had come a long way from a single character with Shardplate and a bolt rifle, Grey Knight reflected. Then he ate another kernel of popcorn, and sat back to enjoy the fight.

5 hours ago, Grey Knight said:

Meanwhile, Grey Knight was beaming with joy. Somehow, his half-baked, utterly random Warhammer 40k concepts were being actually taken seriously.

I hope you’re enjoying this, Grey. Space Marines are storming tough!

Also,

6 hours ago, Ark1002 said:

Assuming not more then normal, as he didn't say it was.)

I said Max was flaring his Aons in the hug. He has Aons for strength as well, so it would be pretty painful. I still think your attack works, though, so I will respond.

Max squeezed. He thought he could feel Ambrosia’s panic as she frantically searched for a solution. This Shardplate was useful. Suddenly, Ambrosia was no longer in grip, as Max stumbled a couple steps at the sudden dissapearance. She was in front of him.

Max watched as she brought up a laser gun and began shooting at his chestplate. Ha! He mentally laughed. The chestplate is the most well defended part of this armour! Still, that didn’t stop it from hurting. He needed a weapon. Fast.

His hands found the warhammer. It was huge, and perfect for a Shardbearer. Plus, Max was highly proficient in staffs, and a warhammer was just a staff with a weight on one side, right?

His strength Aons helped him as Max held the warhammer in both hands, fully outstretched. He swung once to bat the gun away, and swung to hit Ambrosia square in the side in the backswing, pouring his strength into the attack.

Mara screamed.

Everything had been going so well. She’d just been about to pull of the power pack completely, just about to rip it off of Atticus. And then he’d taken off his helmet and spat in her helmet.

It hadn’t hit her directly in the eye, no, but it had hit a soft part of her cheek below it, and it hurt like HELL. It hurt more than it should have. It burned, and Mara knew that the pain was being somehow increased.

Acid what you did there,” she mumbled.

Fight or flight. It seemed so familiar. Too familiar.

But the helmet was off. Atticus’ helmet was off. In that brief struggle, that brief sensation of incredible pain, Mara let go of the power pack. 

And grabbed the helmet.

Atticus pulled out of her grip and brought his gun around. The helmet Mara held in her hand was large, and so Mara held it in front of her, using it as a shield. She felt like collapsing. She felt like giving up. But.

With the helm off, Mara could see Atticus’ face. It had a spike in one of the eyes. Hemalurgy. Instantly, Mara’s fatigue seemed to dim. This man was an abomination. This man was a monster. This man was evil. Immediatly, Mara knew what she had to do. She had to kill this man.

Dropping a coin, Mara shot at Atticus (she’d already Pushed the helmet into the crowd where he couldn’t get it). As she flew at Atticus, she grabbed onto his shoulder plates and brought up a fist.

“You know, I would normally say a joke here,” she growled, and her fist glowed red. Aon Sheo glowed dangerously. “But I don’t think you’d get the punchline.”

She aimed a punch square in the face with her Shardplated fist, a point blank Aon Sheo to activate on contact.

Clarity

Ambrosia tapped speed, literally jumping on to him. Then she pulled out her knife and stabbed it into the eye hole, clicking the button to release the chalklings. They had a command to eat the target they were stabbed into.

Atticus felt a tooth fly out. A lot of teeth fly out. And his jaw, his jaw was broken. That had hurt. And that made him angry. He couldn't talk, so he just made a rude hand gesture and pulled out one of his extra lenses. Shamefillers lense. He focused it on her. It filled a victim with shame until they literally explode. She shouldn't have done that. She needed to die for that.

Uhhh... Ark, Aon Sheo is the Aon for death.

Also, Itiah, may want to rewrite post so it says: She aimed a punch square at the face with her Shardplated fist, a point blank Aon Sheo to activate on contact.

Less dictative of his actions.

Edited by BitBitio

1 hour ago, BitBitio said:

Uhhh... Ark, Aon Sheo is the Aon for death.

It’s fine. I’ve talked with Archer about this. He’s just going to take a bunch of HP off in one go, nothing too overpowered.

Also, thanks Bit. I will edit the post.

"Good shot Mara!" Devaan called out. Silphio whooped as he saw Mara's gauntleted fist flash out. They finally took the fight to close combat. Silphio looked closer

Oh no.

Silphio saw the spike sticking out of atticus' eyes. What if Max saw that? Would he freeze up in the middle of the fight?

"The helmet will keep him calm" Devaan muttered, figuring out what was wrong at the same time as his pupil.

Astiel looked confused. "Keep who calm? Father? What do you mean?"

"Max freezes up whenever he sees people who've spiked themselves. He's frozen up fighting Silph more than once, and lost each time. He has to get over his phobia before it gets him killed."

"So it's now or never?"

"Now or never"

For those of you keeping track of whose puns are better, I’ll remind you that there’s no point. 

Atticus: 64 HP

Ambrosia: 89 HP

Mara: 81 HP

Mara took a blast of flamebringer’s lens to the chest. Normally that would do about 7 points of damage, but instead it just damaged your armour. (Because both of you have strong armour, after it’s damaged once and it gets hit in the same spot a second time, have it break and your character get injured. Otherwise we’ll be here all month).

Max’s squeeze will do some damage. The coat is flexible, so he can press it into her and bruise a variety of organs and stuff. It was a super-strong squeeze for a prolonged period of time, rioted for extra impact, so I’ll put the damage at – 7 HP.

Remind me never to kiss Atticus. Acid spit is impractical in so many ways. But if you want to mutate your body to become a genetically enhanced supersoldier, fine! But don't say I didn't warn you. - 5 HP for the acid. 

The laser shots to the chest should wreck his armour. Max's breastplate is now in several pieces scattered on the ground. 

And finally, no points for the coin, but an AonSheo to the face has got to hurt. Like acid spit, it's an impractical mod to have on your armour. What if you accidentally punch someone? Boom. Dead! Last duel, I had the effect be add up over time. This time, I've decided it will just do a large amount of damage on initial contact. Like how a knife tries its best to kill you, but sometimes can't do it because you have too much health, the aon tries to smite you, but for anti-OP purposes can't. - 34 HP.

10 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

she’d already Pushed the helmet into the crowd where he couldn’t get it

I'm sorry Dave Mara, I'm afraid I can't do that. Any attempts to involve the crowd will be rebuffed. 

The helmet soared through the air, headed for the front row of the crowd. Isaac the Intern, whose sole job was to prevent this kind of thing, intercepted it with his tennis racket. With a mighty swack, he spiked the helmet to the ground. It landed among some boulders, about fifty meters away from the Atticus and Mara. 

"Sorry for the set-back, luv," he said. He then went back to eating his double bagel. 

Side note: In doing my research on lenses (this duel is keeping the Coppermind in business) I learned that Sentinel's Glass is a thing. *nudges BB* Sentinel/Alcatraz crossover confirmed.

Edited by Archer