KalaDANG

Atium Perpendicularities and other questions

5 posts in this topic

So, kind of an investiture/perpendicularity question I had as I was rereading Mistborn. How much investiture is required to create a perpendicularity? Are all perpendicularities invested at the same level? Is the reason that Preservation's perpendicularity was dangerous to use because it hadn't fully recharged yet? From what I understand, Elsecalling in Stormlight is really just creating pocket perpendicularities to travel through. So do they technically not all have to be invested at the same level? Was the amount of power in the trustwarren equal or greater than the amount of investiture in the well of ascension at the time that Hoid crosses over in Secret History? How much Atium would be required to create a perpendicularity? I mean, obviously, a lot, but is it possible that there was enough Atium in the trustwarren to create two perpendicularities if the Atium was divided and taken to different places on the planet? Would it be theoretically possible to move the Atium somewhere else and travel to and from there instead? And on the same note, depending on the Atium amounts required, could I take Atium to other worlds in the cosmere and create NEW perpendicularities to travel from? Say, hypothetically I took Atium to the cognitive side of Threnody. Would the Atium then create a perpendicularity that would allow me to cross over to the planet? My understanding of the perpendicularities is that the concentrated investiture burrows its way through the realms and creates a way to get through. If this is possible, it could allow  physical travel and observation in every planet in the cosmere. A side question, if one person alone had consumed all of the Atium in the trustwarren at the time of Hero of Ages, would they have Ascended? And how exactly does one use a perpendicularity from the physical side when using an Atium perpendicularity? Most of the time with the pools, people just jump in. Do you just jump into a pile of beads? Also, what would happen if you made a dome out of aluminum, and you covered the perpendicularity? Would that cut off cognitive access to get to the perpendicularity to cross over? Just some thoughts and questions I had. 

Edited by KalaDANG

I think that the Well was dangerous to use because of its location and because it required a uhhh mode of transportation, so to speak.

I don't think we know enough about Elsecalling to say exactly how the "mini-perpendicularity" works. It might even be so little needed that it only pierces to the CR, rather than all three (I could easily be wrong about this, so we'll see?).

I don't think the amount of atium in the Trust Warren was enough to create a perp. The perp was the Pits themselves, with atium geodes and crystals all throughout the area. I'm sure there was far more than most people ever discovered, considering the number of lines Kelsier saw when he went there to destroy them. If you had enough atium in one place, then yeah it could/would create a perp. And if you had a lot of it, you could probably move it around. But it would take a LOT. And there isn't enough atium left currently to do that.

No, they wouldn't have Ascended, because the atium goes away as it's burned. You can consecutively burn as much as you want, and it might make you a savant, but not Ascend. You'd have to have more than you could hold in your stomach to Ascend, I would think.

The dome of aluminum would function the same as a dome of any other physical substance. It blocks investiture, sure, but it doesn't seem to create anything special on the Cognitive side. It might be a bead or a wall, so Cognitive presences would need to bypass it as they would a normal representation of a wall, but it wouldn't do anything special otherwise, that I can think of.

Do atium and lerasium even exist at this point, since Brandon has confirmed that if Sazed dropped his shard, it would drop as Harmony, not Ruin and Preservation? So theoretically, they shouldn't have separate bodies/powers any longer? (Much like the WoB on the Dor being all one substance, not a mix of small particles of Dominion and Devotion?)

I guess we'll learn more in The Lost Metal. 

There's still some atium and lerasium around, but not much. Marsh has some, and there might still be a few beads of lerasium. But Ati and Leras are dead, so there's not going to be any more. Sazed might decide to create some equivalents, but as far as we know, he hasn't so far.

In the guidebook the mist spirit stabs Alendi’s friend when he gets too interested in a black glassy lake. That lake is Ruins perpendicularity, and the Pits are like an offshoot of that, or that’s how I think about it. 

Just moreninfo for the discussion