Cultivation's name

Sandra

3 minutes ago, Sandra said:

A random thought: Could Cultivation's vessel's name be Dawn as in Dawn's Shadow, Dawnshards, Dawnsingers? Don't have time to think about it any more as I'm at work. It just crossed my mind. Please discuss ;-)

Cool idea! I expect when we learn her name I'll slap myself in the forehead like I did when Ashyn - Shin was brought up. I figured Ashyn was the Tranquiline Halls, but I didn't realize the name Shin was reference to Ashyn.  It was staring me in the face for 3 books and I didn't see it. 

We figure Dawn refers to Dawn of Civilization, ancient times. But I could see it being her name. 

I'm very skeptical based on the other known names for shardholders. Ati, Tanavast, Leras, Edgli, Uli Da, Bavadin, Rayse, Aona, Skai, and....Dawn? I don't think so. 

I think it's more likely that dawn has associations with the Origin and the direction East, and thus overlaps with religious worship related to the Stormfather. Or, perhaps, it's a holdover from humans' time on Ashyn, maybe some kind of Kingdom of Dawn style branding. 

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, RShara said:

Yep, that's the closest we've got. I'd love to know why she's called Slammer.

Maybe because she is the Shard that is keeping Odium locked into the Roshar system now that Honor is dead. I would like to think she was in law enforcement before she Ascended. That would explain why Cultivation never liked Hoid very much. Hoid isn't the a strict law follower.  

"That's going be a little harder, there's only one around these parts, and she and I never did get along." Hoid referring to the one woman who is his own age on Roshar WoR Ch. 55

slammer - a correctional institution used to detain persons who are in the lawful custody of the government

• Chaos locked this topic