How would non-shard people defeat a Shard?

Sunbringer

Ok, so the original Shards shattered Adonalsium right? So could a group of people theoretically do the same thing to a Shard, and if so, how would you do that? What sort of methods would you use? What sort of things have already been shown as possibly being able to do that?

Edited by Sunbringer

The most rational answer for how Adonalsium was shattered is some kind of weakness within Adonalsium that could be exploited. Adonalsium seems to have been something closer to force than a person, just like Dor and Mists.

But even if it was aware like a Splinter, it still was a force of creation, and might have created something capable of destroying it (mabye Dawnshards? who knows?). But even in that case we can assume that Shards wouldnt be that stupid, and wouldn't be defeated unless you have got anti-shard weapon from other shard or leftover from Adonalsium.

Nightblood might be effective against Dor, because it is now a blind cognitive storm without rational thoughts, but any alive shard would push back, and push back hard

OK so I was just looking at the letters to Hoid we find in Oathbringer and I found something interesting. In Autonomy's letter to Hoid, she refers to him as the "Bearer of the First Gem" so I looked at what the first gem was, and apparently it was used in the original shattering of adonalsium. Not sure what this means, but there are definitely some things that are able to do things like this.

On 28-9-2018 at 6:45 AM, Chaos said:

I'm going to move this to General Brandon Discussion :) 

Wouldn't it make more sense to put this in Cosmere Discussion?

On 28-9-2018 at 4:34 PM, Gauntlet104 said:

I'm not an expert by any means, but I think Nightblood might be able to do it. Seeing as how it destroys things in all three realms I think that means it would be able to kill a shard or at least its host.

Not gonna work:

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/96-holiday-signing/#e3194

Questioner

Hypothetically could Nightblood Splinter a Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

Uh, Splintering a Shard takes more power than Nightblood has.

On 29-9-2018 at 7:27 PM, Sunbringer said:

OK so I was just looking at the letters to Hoid we find in Oathbringer and I found something interesting. In Autonomy's letter to Hoid, she refers to him as the "Bearer of the First Gem" so I looked at what the first gem was, and apparently it was used in the original shattering of adonalsium. Not sure what this means, but there are definitely some things that are able to do things like this.

Where do you have this from?

The only thing the coppermind has on it is that it's been theorized to have been used in the shattering (https://coppermind.net/wiki/First_Gem), with a link to this WoB:

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/355-idaho-falls-signing/#e10439

Valhalla [PENDING REVIEW]

So, you talked about a weapon made by the enemies of Adonalsium, and you said it doesn't exist in it's original form. Do any remnants of it still exist in the Physical Realm?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes.

Have we seen any of those remnants on-screen?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

*pause* RAFO.

In current continuity (and people would know this), Hoid's immortality comes from this. People who have read Dragonsteel know that.

Which doesn't really tell us much. In fact, the First Gem isn't even mentioned in this WoB, and arguably the coppermind shouldn't even mention this.

It's a theory, but it's gonna be hard to find something that hasn't been theorized.

Edited by Leyrann

On 10/2/2018 at 10:43 AM, Leyrann said:
On 9/29/2018 at 1:27 PM, Sunbringer said:

Where do you have this from?

The pre-chapter random messages in Oathbringer. In one of the parts there are a couple of letters from shards to "Cephandrius" who I think I found somewhere is Hoid.

On 10/2/2018 at 10:43 AM, Leyrann said:

So, you talked about a weapon made by the enemies of Adonalsium, and you said it doesn't exist in it's original form. Do any remnants of it still exist in the Physical Realm?

WHERE DOES HE SAY THAT!!! I seriously need to check out wherever you found that.

6 hours ago, Sunbringer said:

The pre-chapter random messages in Oathbringer. In one of the parts there are a couple of letters from shards to "Cephandrius" who I think I found somewhere is Hoid.

Yes, he's called Bearer of the First Gem there. We don't hear anything else about the First Gem however, and we have no idea what it is.

(Cephandrius is Hoid by the way, yes)

4 hours ago, Sunbringer said:

WHERE DOES HE SAY THAT!!! I seriously need to check out wherever you found that.

Best way to find more is probably to just search "weapon adonalsium" on Arcanum: https://wob.coppermind.net/adv_search/?query=weapon+adonalsium

Off hand the only thing I can think of is heavy amounts of aluminum, though I think that's been disconfirmed as the weapon that shattered Adonalsium. 

Alternatively, would an aluminum hat prevent a Shard's future sight from seeing you/reading your mind?  Maybe get a bunch of people wearing aluminum to trick a shard into acting against its own intent.

I don't think aluminum really has many uses as a weapon against a shard. All it is is immune to investiture. As awesome as that is, it's not going to be nearly enough for someone to use against a shard. You could block with a shield, but still won't be able to hurt it.

On 10/7/2018 at 10:29 PM, Sunbringer said:

On 10/7/2018 at 11:49 PM, Sunbringer said:

Hi @Sunbringer, welcome to the Shard!  

You may want to read the Welcome Post.  Double posting is actually against the forum rules.  If you need to add additional comments, you can just edit your previous post by clicking the "edit" button.  

On 10/8/2018 at 1:01 PM, What's a Seawolf? said:

Off hand the only thing I can think of is heavy amounts of aluminum, though I think that's been disconfirmed as the weapon that shattered Adonalsium. 

Alternatively, would an aluminum hat prevent a Shard's future sight from seeing you/reading your mind?  Maybe get a bunch of people wearing aluminum to trick a shard into acting against its own intent.

Yes, I would think in fighting a being that is like 99.9999999999% Investiture one would want to use a metal that resists all Investiture. Not sure if it is the actual weapon, but I would use Aluminum at least to protect myself. He RAFO'd the question in the most recent WoB I could find. https://coppermind.net/wiki/Aluminum

Boskone 54 (Feb. 17, 2017)
#7Feb. 18, 2017 

We know aluminum affects mental magic and emotional magic. Would it affect the hole in your soul that’s created by Hemalurgy? If you had an aluminum spike, would that make it easier, less easy, or no difference for Ruin to take control of you?

Brandon Sanderson

Aluminum resists Investiture generally, even when it’s not Invested itself.

Calamity San Antonio signing (Feb. 26, 2016)

Paladin Brewer (paraphrased)

Was aluminum used in the Shattering of Adonalsium in any way?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

RAFO

Edited by Child of Hodor

• Chaos locked this topic