Evilspren and Nightblood

Ripheus23

What if the extra X in Nightblood is something like "evilspren"? Shashara would've been trying to visualize evil itself being destroyed, right? But unless she was visualizing tons of different kinds of evil objects, people, events, etc. being destroyed/negated/cancelled out/etc., it seems her Command would've lacked a tangible element, unless Shashara were thinking of an "evilspren" and the sword destroying such an entity.

It could even be that she was thinking, say, of one specific of the Unmade, experienced when the Scholars were doing research on Roshar. Or perhaps some other Voidspren (if those could be encountered at the time). Or even... Odium? I guess that would only be if Odium had manifested personally to her or someone who described his manifestation to her.

IDK how powerful Nightblood should be in the end, but at least being the incidental solution to one of the Unmade seems like a legitimate role for him to play in the story.

Like other said, regardless of Nightblood's mantra. He has no idea of what the "Evil" is and indeed he simply try to apply this etiquette to everything he could to then destroy it.

In the end, most of Nightblood's judgement comes from the self awareness of the ones he judges and using some very meh criterias. I will be not surprised to see some "evil jerk" holding Nightblood and slaughtering "innocients people"

I am curious how much Nightblood's own evolving opinion could make a difference.  For example, you could probably make the argument to him that corrupted Spren are evil by virtue of having been corrupted from their original/true selves.  Taken further and darker, what would happen if you convinced him a whole shardworld (like say one created whole by a pair of Shards violating the Shard's agreement of non-intervention) is inherently Evil by virtue of being created Gods in defiance of such a Godpact?  By Heraldic Logic the Gods are the top of the Authority food chain, obeying or defying them could be a reasonable definition of Good & Evil.

1 hour ago, Quantus said:

I am curious how much Nightblood's own evolving opinion could make a difference.  For example, you could probably make the argument to him that corrupted Spren are evil by virtue of having been corrupted from their original/true selves.  Taken further and darker, what would happen if you convinced him a whole shardworld (like say one created whole by a pair of Shards violating the Shard's agreement of non-intervention) is inherently Evil by virtue of being created Gods in defiance of such a Godpact?  By Heraldic Logic the Gods are the top of the Authority food chain, obeying or defying them could be a reasonable definition of Good & Evil.

Nightblood just relies on his wielder to decide what is evil or not. So it's not convincing Nightblood, so much as convincing whoever is holding him.

17 hours ago, RShara said:

Mmmm Brandon says in the annotations that Nightblood doesn't really understand what evil means. So I don't think Shashara had anything specific in mind when she visualized the Command.

Don't you have to visualize something to Awaken an object?

An evilspren, in any event, would be an ambivalent thing, seeing as (by comparison) honorspren don't per se know, absolutely, what is honorable. (I'm thinking of Kaladin's debate with Syl in OB, don't recall where it is exactly.)

On 9/28/2018 at 0:57 PM, Quantus said:

By this definition, anyone opposing Odium would be considered evil as well

On 9/28/2018 at 3:41 PM, Calderis said:

Yes. And she seems to have envisioned the destruction aspect of his command exceedingly well. The evil part? Not so much. 

I suspect that she didnt herself have a detailed and/or intellectualized definition of Evil, but instead just had a subconscious, Visceral reaction to things that she felt were Evil, and that it was that Subconscious and Visceral discomfort that Nightblood is inciting in people when he Tests them.

On 9/29/2018 at 2:29 PM, Solant said:

By this definition, anyone opposing Odium would be considered evil as well

Arguably, Yes, depending on how you framed it.  Which is my point, if Nightblood has the potential to interpret his command on his own, there are a lot of very narrow and incomplete definitions of Evil that he could be talked into adopting. 

Edited by Quantus

• Chaos locked this topic