things you never noticed

king of nowhere

It sounds so obvious now but in The Final Empire Kelsier and Sazed have a chat about a new religion that Kell could follow and the following quote about the Valla was kinda obvious foreshadowing: "Oh, they had leaders. Dead ones, true, but leaders nonetheless" - "The loss of the Vallan leaders should have broken the people, not made them more determined to keep going" Sazed shook his head "Men are more resilient than that, I think. Our belief is often the strongest when it should be weakest. That is the nature of hope." Kelsier nodded. "...I just needed to be reminded there were people who fought even when things looked hopeless"

Foreshadowing the end of the book and the Skaa's determination in the event of a certain major incident....

On 2/12/2019 at 0:19 PM, TheFoxQR said:

Not sure if this counts, but here we go. I was raised in a mostly atheist family, and as such, did not have much contact with scripture. So this kinda intrigued me. I was reading an English translation for Voltaire's Philosophical Dictionary recently, and came across these passages:

I'm pretty sure Brandon either consciously or unconsciously drew on some version of this to form the Knights Radiant. The fact that they call Honor "Almighty" kinda corroborates that.

In Jewish theology we hold that one can pray to God without any intermediary, at any time and in any language and He always answers (albeit in ways we don’t always recognize and sometimes with a no). So the ten orders of angels are more interesting to know about than actually important for the day to day. Why bother with servants when you can speak directly to the king whenever you choose?

On a completely different topic, that translation needs work. It’s not a very good one. You’d be better off reading the Hebrew, or seeing if there is a better translation available- one written alongside the original language would be preferable.

On 2/15/2019 at 4:01 PM, Lidolas said:

I'm re-reading WoKs now.  I just got to Chapter 12.  It's when we are introduced to Dalinar.  The title of the chapter?  Unity

In WoKs, Moash gets introduced before anyone else in Bridge 4. Even before Rock.

• 2 weeks later...

Listening to Well of Ascension right now. In one of Elend’s first lessons with Tindwyl, she is telling him he can at least learn to defend himself properly. Maybe be a passable warrior. But then she adds that he’ll likely never be the kind of king who leads a charge. Guess who leads the charge of Atium mistings against the Koloss in Hero of Ages. Emperor Elend Venture. :)

In The Final Empire Kelsier recalls one of the lessons Gemmel taught him about Steelpushing.

When you Push on something, it’s like you’re throwing your weight against it, the old lunatic had said. And you can’t change how much you weigh—you’re an Allomancer, not some northern mystic.

"Some northern mystic" is of course a Terris Feruchemist with the ability to store weight in an Iron metalmind.

Which 2 abilities did Wax have again? ;)

Edited by Thurin

Sorry for the double post, but at the end of WoR, Wit tells Jasnah,

I once spent the better part of a year inside of a large stomach, being digested.

And then in Edgedancer, it mentions,

She liked to pretend he hadn’t actually gotten eaten. He’d winked at her as he’d jumped into the greatshell’s gaping maw, shocking the crowd.

• Chaos locked this topic