What happened to wax`s parents?

Supreme King Z-arc

Question

10 answers to this question

14 minutes ago, Mistspren said:

More seriously, it might not be terribly relevant. I haven’t read the MB era 2 in a while, but I don’t think Wax’s parents were around while he lived in the Village. Note that I may be incorrect here. If this is the case, it’s likely an event Wax has come to terms with over the years, and more a filler than a plot point.

They're still alive post-Village, because Edwarn lords it over them that Wax "couldn't cut it" in Terris society.

Batman* isn’t allowed to have parents.

Spoiler

*Waxillium Ladrian

More seriously, it might not be terribly relevant. I haven’t read the MB era 2 in a while, but I don’t think Wax’s parents were around while he lived in the Village. Note that I may be incorrect here. If this is the case, it’s likely an event Wax has come to terms with over the years, and more a filler than a plot point.

On 9/25/2018 at 9:26 AM, Mistspren said:

it’s likely an event Wax has come to terms with over the years, and more a filler than a plot point.

While that may be true, it is possible that Wax's father may have something to do with the story in "The Lost Metal", since in Shadows of Self, Bleeder tells Wax that "She hasn't even killed his father yet", which implies that he may be alive, though Wax thinks contrary. 

Edited by Dor

9 hours ago, Dor said:

While that may be true, it is possible that Wax's father may have something to do with the story in "The Lost Metal", since in Shadows of Self, Bleeder tells Wax that "She hasn't even killed his father yet", which implies that he may be alive, though Wax thinks contrary. 

First off, welcome to the Shard!

Second, Bleeder was talking about an entirely different sort of father there. When Wax heard that, he immediately assumed father-in-law, meaning his actual birth father isn't around to be a consideration. Also, if Wax's parents were alive he wouldn't be Lord Ladrian because the title would have passed to Wax's father (the one with the noble blood) before it went to Wax.

Edited by Weltall

On 9/1/2020 at 0:48 AM, Weltall said:

Bleeder was talking about an entirely different sort of father there. When Wax heard that, he immediately assumed father-in-law, meaning his actual birth father isn't around to be a consideration.

It could be possible that Bleeder wasn't referring to Lord Harms, because she didn't make an attempt on his life in the book. 

On 9/1/2020 at 0:48 AM, Weltall said:

Also, if Wax's parents were alive he wouldn't be Lord Ladrian because the title would have passed to Wax's father (the one with the noble blood) before it went to Wax.

It could be that no one knew he was alive, like it was with Wax's uncle and sister.

However this is just a theory and its certainly more probable that I am wrong.

Edited by Dor

On 8/31/2020 at 3:18 PM, Weltall said:

First off, welcome to the Shard!

Second, Bleeder was talking about an entirely different sort of father there. When Wax heard that, he immediately assumed father-in-law, meaning his actual birth father isn't around to be a consideration. Also, if Wax's parents were alive he wouldn't be Lord Ladrian because the title would have passed to Wax's father (the one with the noble blood) before it went to Wax.

And yet it would be a classic case of Sanderson Misdirection, wouldn't it? It is a little bit odd for her to refer to Lord Harms as Wax's "father"... Even meaning father-in-law... When he hadn't actually married Steris yet

It seems quite possible that Wax's father was about as dead as his uncle Edwarn and sister Telsin turned out to be, possibly for similar reasons... And Wax "wouldn't be Lord Ladrian" either if just Edwarn were known to still be alive and to claim the title.

And to put it in further context, this is what the exchange is between Bleeder and Wax:

I have much work to do, Bleeder said. I need to free everyone in this city. Harmony... moves us like pieces on a board.

"So you'll kill the governor?" Wax said. "That will somehow free the city?"

Yes, it will, Bleeder said. But of course I can't kill him yet, Wax. I haven't even murdered your father yet.

Wax felt suddenly cold. But his father was already dead.

That phrasing, "haven't even murdered your father yet" is also puzzling (or a clue), as if that were a prerequisite step to take in her plans before killing the governor.

As we find out later, Bleeder had already killed Innate and was taking his place, right? Making speeches that inflamed, rather than quelled, popular resentment, and so on. So either Bleeder is just lying about who she has or hasn't already killed, to mess with Wax's mind, or she means "kill the governor" as in "to stop taking his form so people think he's still alive".

So when was she planning on faking Governor Innate's (second) death?

And did she mean to imply that she has Wax's father's bones and has posed as him recently, as she had Bloody Tan? No rusting way, right?

Brandon has said that Bleeder was not refefring to Wax's biological father or his future father-in-law and we shouldn't be overthinking that conversation.

Questioner 1

In Shadows of Self Paalm tells Wax she hasn't killed his father-- she hasn't killed his father yet. Is Wax's father still alive?

Brandon Sanderson

Uh, that was not who she was referencing.

Questioner 1

Okay.

Brandon Sanderson

Mmhmm.

Questioner 1

Was it Marasi's father?

Brandon Sanderson

Um--

Questioner 1

Because that's who Wax assumed.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, um--

Questioner 1

It was what he assumed?

Brandon Sanderson

It is what he assumed, yeah-- No no no no no! It's not what he assumed, sorry.

Questioner 1

Then she tells him she's not talking to him, so--

Brandon Sanderson

Nope, no, no. She is not talking-- she was talking about something else completely. Not Wax's father and not Marasi's father.

Questioner 1

Okay.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, sorry. I had to work through that scene, that's why-- yes. There is a different reference there.

Questioner 2

Is it the one that it turns out to be? Is that what she was talking about, or is there more trick there that we don't know yet?

Brandon Sanderson

Um-- It's-- No, don't work to hard on this one.

Ad Astra 2017 (May 5, 2017)

Sounds like that might have been a bit frazzled by the time the exchange happened since Wax did assume Bleeder meant Lord Harms, but the key takeaway is that Bleeder was not talking about Wax's father. The last line rather heavily implies that Bleeder was referring to the person she later killed, Father Bin.

Edited by Weltall