The Chat Thread

Archer

18 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

Sounds like a very fun conversation! Aln actually avoided the Dark Alley, generally so she wouldn't know much about that anyway. (A handy coverup for my own ignorance of the specifics...). I'll let you decide when you want to put them in - presumably once we're inside.

Sounds good. What's the end result we are going for with these interactions?

18 hours ago, mathiau said:

Wouldn't Sanax's passive investiture nullification suppress Aln's boon?

18 hours ago, Ashbringer said:

I wonder if Sanax would (indirectly) just knock Poller out. That would be interesting.

Byron... more complicated :P

17 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

Probably, yeah. Looks like we've got a lot of people who heavily rely on Investiture, here ... this should be fun.

16 hours ago, Ashbringer said:

Lets see:

• Poller: Fine until narcolepsy makes him go to sleep
  • Aln: Deaf and unused to being so
  • Folorian: ... Complete sensory deprivation?
  • Zaria: Fine but powerless, no Stormlight to counter seizures
  • Byron: Either undergoing constant muscle spasms or dying from cadmium poisoning
  • Sanax: "This is fine."

Yeah not the best... @18th Shard, what would Sanax do to an Allomancer? Would it remove the actual metal like a Leecher would or just suppress their ability to burn the metal? Because if Byron can't burn the cadmium in his stomach he poisons himself...

16 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

Actually, I wonder if the opposite would happen. Unlike Aln, his inhibition was given to him by the Nightwatcher - perhaps being in an anti-Investiture field would dampen the bane.

13 hours ago, mathiau said:

There's actually more to Folorian's bane than just a sensory inhibition, in fact his senses are working perfectly fine they're just taken care by the subconscious part of his brain. What the Nightwatcher did was a magical brain-surgery (that affected the Soul and Spirit so it cannot be healed by becoming a Radiant) that wouldn't be removed by an anti-magic field just as if someone that had their limbs regrown by Progression entered the field their limbs wouldn't disappear

Aren't he seizures magical too and therefore wouldn't happen?

On another subject, I've seen Sanax used to be an Elscaller, does he still follow his Oaths?

So Sanax's powers are ... complicated. He is technically Voidmaking. This means he is an Investiture sink. Actively using investiture on him is going to open oneself up to having all of their Stormlight/actively burning metals vanish. Using it near him is probably fine unless he removes the aluminum lined gloves he is using. His abilities don't affect the Spiritweb until much more exposure occurs, so boons/banes might kind of flicker but would probably still work (if I understand how these work - I need to read through a little more of both of your posts to make sure). If Sanax removes the gloves and starts actively Voidmaking, his eyes would go black, and the Void he summons would start destroying most investiture far more potently - Breaths, invested metals, etc, - but Spiritwebs would probably remain intact.

In terms of non-burning metals, they are totally unaffected. Burning metals would probably dampen some of the effects around him, but wouldn't Leech the metal unless he touched them gloveless.

As far as the WorldForgery goes, Sanax isn't destroying anything - he merely has a slight dampening of its affects around him that allows an individual's other memories to be slightly more accessible, but anyone who isn't already aware of it would be unaffected without long-term exposure.

ROW Spoilers

Spoiler

Assume Sanax works like anti-investiture to every type of Investiture simultaneously - even anti-Investiture. This means his Voidmaking, when unleashed, would destroy a spren, though that should not happen in the interaction.

Sanax does follow his Oaths - kind of. He is still the same person who swore them and they are an integral part of who he is. However, Sanax was essentially unbonded to his spren Tsarik, resulting in Tsarik's deadeye status, when he returned from the Void. Sanax's soul is no longer capable of being bonded to the spren, as that is a bit of investiture. Sanax still has (had) Tsarik's blade - it is currently in storage at the hospital since no one trusts a mental patient with it - but he has to wear gloves to touch it if he doesn't want to destroy it.

Xanas - the alternate timeline Sanax who still is in the Dark Alley - is actively an Elsecaller bonded to a different Tsarik.

Sanax's Oaths: 

Spoiler

o   1st – Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination

o   2nd – I will be guided by logic, not by emotion.

o   3rd – I will consider all viewpoints, even those I do not agree with.

o   4th – I will seek out the correct questions before seeking their answers.

4 minutes ago, AonEne said:

18th, is there some way for Deteca to get in here? It's been a hot minute and I'm hazy on what we were doing together. Does Xanas know about Sanax yet? 

Xanas has not progressed at all for a while - everyone (me included) in that plan went on somewhat of a hiatus, so that plotline is still hanging.

14 minutes ago, 18th Shard said:

Xanas has not progressed at all for a while - everyone (me included) in that plan went on somewhat of a hiatus, so that plotline is still hanging.

Would he have suspected Mike would be at the hospital? 

40 minutes ago, AonEne said:

Would he have suspected Mike would be at the hospital? 

Not really. I haven't had any posts on his end since Cam visited.

34 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

Aln's goal is to figure out a way to reverse the Forgery, but for myself, I'm flexible. 

Sanax could be helpful-ish. Everything will come heavily filtered through his insanity, but somewhere in there he understands what's happening. He doesn't know the Stranger did it, but Sanax was there when the Worldspike was placed, so he would understand its workings.

43 minutes ago, 18th Shard said:

Actively using investiture on him is going to open oneself up to having all of their Stormlight/actively burning metals vanish.

One clarification: would being in a time bubble count as targeting Sanax (active Investiture drain), or as just being in his vicinity (a little fritzy but with Byron’s power level manageable)?

Either way would be fine RP, but knowing whether or not Byron’s going to run out of cadmium around him would be helpful.

Also, do we want Aln to run into Byron semi-randomly in the investigation or something else? He probably wouldn’t be near anyone with memory problems unless I put him in triage... he’s got a more unusual problem :P

6 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

Also, do we want Aln to run into Byron semi-randomly in the investigation or something else? He probably wouldn’t be near anyone with memory problems unless I put him in triage... he’s got a more unusual problem :P

If Aln's sneaking in the back, she's not necessarily going to end up in the mental ward right away. Her route could easily take her past his room. Alternatively, the other group could encounter them, since Poller could be brought nearby if Folorian suspects Savantism. That does have the issue that you'd be talking to yourself, though.

1 hour ago, 18th Shard said:

So Sanax's powers are ... complicated. He is technically Voidmaking. This means he is an Investiture sink. Actively using investiture on him is going to open oneself up to having all of their Stormlight/actively burning metals vanish. Using it near him is probably fine unless he removes the aluminum lined gloves he is using. His abilities don't affect the Spiritweb until much more exposure occurs, so boons/banes might kind of flicker but would probably still work (if I understand how these work - I need to read through a little more of both of your posts to make sure). If Sanax removes the gloves and starts actively Voidmaking, his eyes would go black, and the Void he summons would start destroying most investiture far more potently - Breaths, invested metals, etc, - but Spiritwebs would probably remain intact.

Aln's boon is not just a modification to her Spiritweb, it's an always active power (which is why it's affected by her bane in the first place) so I think she'd be affected. But

ROW Spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

Assume Sanax works like anti-investiture to every type of Investiture simultaneously - even anti-Investiture. This means his Voidmaking, when unleashed, would destroy a spren, though that should not happen in the interaction.

Spoiler

Pretty sure anti-Dor would destroy the stamps used in Forgery, maybe Sanax would have an effect the Respiking if he's close enough to the spike? Maybe the Stranger would have taken precautions against people using Voidmaking near the Worldspike? (Is such thing even possible?)

52 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

If Aln's sneaking in the back, she's not necessarily going to end up in the mental ward right away. Her route could easily take her past his room. Alternatively, the other group could encounter them, since Poller could be brought nearby if Folorian suspects Savantism. That does have the issue that you'd be talking to yourself, though.

Poller seems confused enough that Folorian would be making most of the talking

1 hour ago, Random Bystander said:

So, would Zaria still hear the Rhythms?

I would say yes, but it might be a little harder to attune to any particular one. It would be harder for her to hear the Rhythm another person spoke to, but I don't think anyone else speaks to them so that shouldn't come up. 

47 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

One clarification: would being in a time bubble count as targeting Sanax (active Investiture drain), or as just being in his vicinity (a little fritzy but with Byron’s power level manageable)?

Either way would be fine RP, but knowing whether or not Byron’s going to run out of cadmium around him would be helpful.

Sanax would definitely not be affected at all. Treat him like aluminum. Byron would probably feel a 'drag' on the bubble, and if Sanax starts Voidmaking or removes his gloves while in the bubble, it would start draining his metal like Nightblood would if he were wielding it (though generally less severe). 

8 minutes ago, mathiau said:

Aln's boon is not just a modification to her Spiritweb, it's an always active power (which is why it's affected by her bane in the first place) so I think she'd be affected. But

Reveal hidden contents

Pretty sure anti-Dor would destroy the stamps used in Forgery, maybe Sanax would have an effect the Respiking if he's close enough to the spike? Maybe the Stranger would have taken precautions against people using Voidmaking near the Worldspike? (Is such thing even possible?)

Poller seems confused enough that Folorian would be making most of the talking

Sounds good. The boon would probably still work on others unless he touched her, but not on him then (probably).

Spoiler

The issue there is Sanax has way too little control and power for that to work. Voidus or the Stranger might have the skill to pull that off. If Sanax could draw on enough Voidmaking for something of that power, Sanax would just turn the whole spike to a chunk of metal, destabilizing the whole planet, rendering everyone without any connection to the planet, and causing general destruction. More likely, if he tried, it would randomly erase parts of the Worldspike and then cause some kind of explosion/backlash from unbound investiture that would kill him and anyone with him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey everyone! So, I couldn't help but notice that the Alleyverse isn't super active right now. In particular, the people who were going to be running the main plot of the Era haven't really been around. @MacThorstenson and I may have an idea to essentially commandeer the running this plot and move it to a conclusion, in the hopes of keeping the RP going. Would there be any thoughts/objections to us doing so? In particular, if any of the people who were previously writing the main plot see this and want to let us know what they were planning, that would be welcome.

It’s gonna be really fun. Hopefully. There’s possibly going to be lions and tigers and bears. Maybe. There might even be a call to HR, if we don’t get left on voice mail. These things are all in flux. DA Disclaimer applies as always. 

y’all should participate. It’s a lotta fun. 

we can always use more planners. 

Edited by MacThorstenson

1 hour ago, MacThorstenson said:

It’s gonna be really fun. Hopefully. There’s possibly going to be lions and tigers and bears. Maybe. There might even be a call to HR, if we don’t get left on voice mail. These things are all in flux. DA Disclaimer applies as always. 

I'd like to help

7 hours ago, MacThorstenson said:

I don't have too much going on for the next little bit, I'd love to be involved. (Amen. DAHR phone calls are the worst. So many souls are stuck on hold there, the hold music just doesn't sound the same. We need a good conductor to keep the screams on tempo; I just hate when someone ruins the oratorio).

9 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

Hey everyone! So, I couldn't help but notice that the Alleyverse isn't super active right now. In particular, the people who were going to be running the main plot of the Era haven't really been around. @MacThorstenson and I may have an idea to essentially commandeer the running this plot and move it to a conclusion, in the hopes of keeping the RP going. Would there be any thoughts/objections to us doing so? In particular, if any of the people who were previously writing the main plot see this and want to let us know what they were planning, that would be welcome.

Go for it, I have no plans for it that I can remember. Truly my brain is like a sieve these days. Sorry I've been so very not-here! Life is just so grand these days I have no real need to escape :3 

10 hours ago, MacThorstenson said:

Always happy to help out and just started getting a little time back in my day so the timing works out nicely.

Um... yes.

We're technically in the middle of an era, but we're trying to wrap it up in some fashion. After that would probably be a new era, but you're welcome to join in now if you want.

As to what is going on, there are much more qualified people than me who can explain :P

I've started checking here more regularly, so if anyone does want any additional planning input or suggestions or whatever else, I can appear more often and I'd enjoy chiming in here or there! I might even bring Vivica out of hiding and back into rotation so if you want to do anything with her plotline let me know. Please please ping me whenever I am needed, I pretty much exclusively use my phone nowadays since it's much easier to do things one-handed with the Zinclet clinging onto me. I miss everyone here and I do miss being creative and silly so if you want to chat or whatever, please feel free to notify me in the usual way (by incorporeal post, dream visitation, astral anguish projection, or cookie-gram, of course). 

On 4/9/2021 at 8:58 AM, MacThorstenson said:

I can help, might be fun