The Chat Thread

Archer

5 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

If you're looking for something to write, you can bring a character by the Scholar's Guild; we're not sure how we're going to proceed in the scene.

Poller should be heading there (along with Sorana's character Temeria), but I feel like their interaction needs some amount of RP.

My other characters... they're kinda in limbo. I tried to get more than Althea to react toward Tyrian, but that didn't work. Cassie's in the Anarchy Inc thread, also waiting.

And Byron is literally running around the city as I wait for a good time to insert him / I wait for some power developments to get pseudo-approved. He could be more main-plot related, as the altered reality is already messing with his head and I'm planning to have it start messing with his powers. But I also don't want to push that too strongly when I don't know if that's even how this reality-shift is meant to work.

3 hours ago, Ashbringer said:

Poller should be heading there (along with Sorana's character Temeria), but I feel like their interaction needs some amount of RP.

My other characters... they're kinda in limbo. I tried to get more than Althea to react toward Tyrian, but that didn't work. Cassie's in the Anarchy Inc thread, also waiting.

And Byron is literally running around the city as I wait for a good time to insert him / I wait for some power developments to get pseudo-approved. He could be more main-plot related, as the altered reality is already messing with his head and I'm planning to have it start messing with his powers. But I also don't want to push that too strongly when I don't know if that's even how this reality-shift is meant to work.

Fair enough. And I believe that Sorana's on vacation at the moment, which could be the cause of your delays. Let me know if you want Byron and Aln to interact some more (I was kinda interested in exploring that dynamic).

1 minute ago, Rushu42 said:

Fair enough. And I believe that Sorana's on vacation at the moment, which could be the cause of your delays. Let me know if you want Byron and Aln to interact some more (I was kinda interested in exploring that dynamic).

Yeah, I know, but that's not all of the problem. Tyrian being essentially bound to bees?, who posts relatively rarely, is another bit, along with just general inactivity in the plots I'm a part of.

Oh, I have a plan to get Aln and Byron to meet again... but I do need either Sorana or another mod (or someone) to check something before I run it, as I'd be essentially adding another ""ability"" to his Savantism. :ph34r:

Although now that I think about it I may as well drop it here. Byron can already shrink his bubble to a much smaller size than normal. What I want to add is the ability to internalize the bubble, so that it's time slowing only affects his own body and nothing else (nothing around him, not even the clothes he's wearing, just his physical body). How I have his bubble work is that generally the smaller the bubble, the slower the time, so he'd essentially put himself in almost stasis and any attempt to move him would start being weird to physics. The strain he's going under could force him into it.

That sounds like something the Scholar's Guild could be called in to see and/or fix...

:)

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

Agreed - but it's also rather busy at the moment. When Sorana gets back from her vacation, you could try her boardinghouse, or you could just post in the General Alleycity thread and see if anyone wants a conversation.

@A Windrunner

I already joined in a tavern of some sort. I can’t be in multiple places at once, right?

So, since Byron is currently running around in circles, I figure I should probably just spill the ideas I have for him interacting with the reality shift.

Spoiler

So, Byron isn't native to the Alleyverse, and therefore almost all of his history would be unaffected by the reality shift here. However, his mother was from the Alleyverse, and while she is long dead thanks to Byron's time skipping, the shift still affected her and somewhat affected Byron as well, changing his connection to various worlds and powers. And for Byron, this rewriting occurred while he was deep in the Alleys, which resulted in it changing him... improperly (?). 

In the current, altered timeline, his mother was a Willshaper. That's why the lightspren has been following him around - in one reality, it was bonded to his mother, and he has sufficient Connection to it and Roshar to bond to it.

However, in the original timeline, she was something else entirely.

She was a cytonic.

That's why Byron has such good reactions, since his mind is cytonically enhanced to react at insane speeds. (If he progresses here, he'd develop his Sense and possibly figure out FTL teleportation - from what I can tell, mindblades would be too overpowered in conjunction with his bubble).

However, Byron's currently split between these two powers. He should only have one, as only one version of his mother should have existed, but that's... not what happened. So right now he can't really use either of the powers, but gets shades from both. Eventually he'll have to hone one and not the other, but for now he's swapping rapidly between periods of attracting the lightspren but being unable to form a bond and periods of having cytonically-enhanced senses but being unable to truly process them, with some periods of both (like right now) wreaking havoc on his mental state and his control over his cadmium bubble.

The main problem is... I don't know if that works. At all. Fatebreaker hasn't been online in a month, so I don't know if I can ask him if that's a plausible result of the conditions Byron was subjected to. And I don't want to just do it and be the one that doesn't fit with what's happening to everything else. 

So... can that work? Would it invoke a reaction from Aylitha? Thoughts? Questions? Cookies?

*hands over a cookie*

Personally, I think that would work fine - we really don't have set-in-stone rules for how this works, it's been left open so people can pretty much do as they like in regards to their characters, so long as it's plausible in terms of history.

BE CAREFUL 100% OF THE COOKIES I'VE EVER GOTTEN FROM A MODERATOR IN THIS SUBFORUM HAVE BEEN SPIIIIKED

You know how Athena acted in Riordan's Mark of Athena when she had to express herself as Minerva to the Romans and Athena to the Greeks at the same time? I'm getting those kind of vibes from your description. It's a kind of false consciousness situation which implies a lot about the specific workings of the time warp, so I'd suggest being vague where possible and not trying to explain it in any expository way. That way it can be easily retconned if need be. But yeah, might as well move on if Fate isn't around, seems like a good arc build. 

9 hours ago, Ashbringer said:

So, since Byron is currently running around in circles, I figure I should probably just spill the ideas I have for him interacting with the reality shift.

Hide contents

So, Byron isn't native to the Alleyverse, and therefore almost all of his history would be unaffected by the reality shift here. However, his mother was from the Alleyverse, and while she is long dead thanks to Byron's time skipping, the shift still affected her and somewhat affected Byron as well, changing his connection to various worlds and powers. And for Byron, this rewriting occurred while he was deep in the Alleys, which resulted in it changing him... improperly (?). 

In the current, altered timeline, his mother was a Willshaper. That's why the lightspren has been following him around - in one reality, it was bonded to his mother, and he has sufficient Connection to it and Roshar to bond to it.

However, in the original timeline, she was something else entirely.

She was a cytonic.

That's why Byron has such good reactions, since his mind is cytonically enhanced to react at insane speeds. (If he progresses here, he'd develop his Sense and possibly figure out FTL teleportation - from what I can tell, mindblades would be too overpowered in conjunction with his bubble).

However, Byron's currently split between these two powers. He should only have one, as only one version of his mother should have existed, but that's... not what happened. So right now he can't really use either of the powers, but gets shades from both. Eventually he'll have to hone one and not the other, but for now he's swapping rapidly between periods of attracting the lightspren but being unable to form a bond and periods of having cytonically-enhanced senses but being unable to truly process them, with some periods of both (like right now) wreaking havoc on his mental state and his control over his cadmium bubble.

The main problem is... I don't know if that works. At all. Fatebreaker hasn't been online in a month, so I don't know if I can ask him if that's a plausible result of the conditions Byron was subjected to. And I don't want to just do it and be the one that doesn't fit with what's happening to everything else. 

So... can that work? Would it invoke a reaction from Aylitha? Thoughts? Questions? Cookies?

I think it can work? And yeah, that would definitely provoke a reaction.

5 hours ago, kenod said:

I think it can work? And yeah, that would definitely provoke a reaction.

Cool!

But the follow-up question... what would happen if they win? If it’s not a memory that’s the problem, but a powerset. I guess they would try and stabilize him back to the Willshaper side, then wipe any memory of the stress caused by both powers?

Just now, Ashbringer said:

Cool!

But the follow-up question... what would happen if they win? If it’s not a memory that’s the problem, but a powerset. I guess they would try and stabilize him back to the Willshaper side, then wipe any memory of the stress caused by both powers?

That would be a rather problematic case for them. I suspect they'll probably try to instal mental blocks to prevent usage of those abilities, though that wouldn't be a perfect fix.

Hmm. Right now Byron just has significantly quicker reflexes some of the time, the lightspren around the othe times (and still very fast natural reflexes), so he’s just barely drawing on the powers. That should work to restabilize him, at least for a while, but depending on how much Byron connects the spren to things he may realize something’s missing. So long as he stabilizes towards the Willshaper side (the false-reality side).

Either way, that could lead to him being attacked soon. I’ve been toying with the mental pull trying to take him back to the Scholar’s Guild, but it might make more sense to just have him attacked on the streets.

6 minutes ago, AmazingGoob said:

Looking at the poll why can't we do both the guild plot and the alternate universe plot? They could work quite well together.

I think that’s the plan either way; it’s just a question of which is in the forefront.

Also, 3 people have voted so far, so take current results with a grain of salt :P

Both of these options seem interesting to me, and I'd be generally open to whatever happens. I voted for Fatebreaker's plot mainly for selfish reasons - the first being that a guild-centered plot would reasonably involve the scholar's guild, and Aln's committed to a bunch of stuff this era. The second reason is much more vague: I had an idea for a plot to run that I'd be interested in, and I was looking forward to proposing it as an option next era - and the guild plan might take longer than just running with the main plot. Both of those reasons are mainly just related to me, though, so don't weight my vote too heavily.

9 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

I had an idea for a plot to run that I'd be interested in, and I was looking forward to proposing it as an option next era - and the guild plan might take longer than just running with the main plot.

Can you elaborate a little on that? I personally would be completely fine to maybe to that one and the FB plot afterwards. I don't know about the others around here, but I'd be interested to hear what you have in mind.

5 hours ago, Sorana said:

Can you elaborate a little on that? I personally would be completely fine to maybe to that one and the FB plot afterwards. I don't know about the others around here, but I'd be interested to hear what you have in mind.

I don't think it would mesh super well with the current plot/era. The idea was to run a plot mainly for non-combative characters, such as the members of the SG. It would be a mystery, probably following the trail of either Aln (?) or some other character in an investigation. The information received would depend on the points put into scholarship and intelligence.