The Chat Thread

Archer

4 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

I've received feedback on this idea (thanks, @ZincAboutIt), and I was wondering if anyone would be more likely to want to join if there were also an RP element at play - say, if people created characters to roleplay in the office and chase down stories as well as writing articles. Is that just more work, or does it sound like more fun?

It sounds like a lot of fun. I'd be up for it I think.

=====

@Voidus

Originally zinc and I wanted to use  the Boarding House for exactly that purpose. Then bees claimed dips on the tavern, so I kind of stepped back. As @ZincAboutIt

is now talking about a completely new place that idea might have died? I'm not sure honestly, we didn't discuss it again, although for me it would still be an option.

Edited by Sorana

14 minutes ago, Sorana said:

It sounds like a lot of fun. I'd be up for it I think.

=====

@Voidus

Originally zinc and I wanted to use  the Boarding House for exactly that purpose. Then bees claimed dips on the tavern, so I kind of stepped back. As @ZincAboutIt

is now talking about a completely new place that idea might have died? I'm not sure honestly, we didn't discuss it again, although for me it would still be an option.

Yeah given everything going on I think the Boarding House may still be a good idea as a jumping in point for new players and characters.

11 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

What do I do? 

You can hop into The Masked Dance where there’s some plot going on, or one of the shops or Mac’s Boarding House, where you can interact with other characters! 

So I guess I’m pretty late to the conversation, and it seems like you all may have continued it elsewhere, but I just want to say that some kind of tavern, or general meeting place sounds like a really good idea to me. My character Desmund has been ready for some time, but I just haven’t decided to introduce him yet. I think that a thread where a lot of characters can gather without anything intense would be very appealing. It would give me a chance to get a feel for my character, as well as practice RP’ing, but without the pressure of any type of plot. This next part is just me, but perhaps there can be some magical aspect to it as well which prevents any type of fighting; or at least redirects it. That way, if someone has a character who’s naturally aggressive, dangerous, etc., they can still join without necessarily contradicting their character’s personality, and yet it’s a little safer/easier for the newbies. 

edit: Again, it’s just an idea. You all are the ones in charge, so I trust you’ll find a good solution regardless.

Edited by Rosharan A.C.

11 hours ago, Rosharan A.C. said:

just want to say that some kind of tavern, or general meeting place sounds like a really good idea to me.

We reactivated the Boarding House Thread. If you want to, you could move him there. There is no magical 'fight prevention' in place, but I suspect it will be peaceful. Can't guarantee that, but I do trust my character to step on the toes of anybody who threatens her guests, so your character is as safe as they can be.

14 hours ago, Sorana said:

We reactivated the Boarding House Thread. If you want to, you could move him there. There is no magical 'fight prevention' in place, but I suspect it will be peaceful. Can't guarantee that, but I do trust my character to step on the toes of anybody who threatens her guests, so your character is as safe as they can be.

Oh nice! That’s fine, I think it’ll be perfect.

How long is the period you're supposed to wait for double posting? I kinda want the panicking Byron to visit Cassie's store while she isn't there, but that would just be a long post from me, and I was the last to post there from last Friday.

(Although if someone wants to post something there, that would solve the problem... xD)

43 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

How long is the period you're supposed to wait for double posting? I kinda want the panicking Byron to visit Cassie's store while she isn't there, but that would just be a long post from me, and I was the last to post there from last Friday.

(Although if someone wants to post something there, that would solve the problem... xD)

The best is probably to edit you old post, but that might not notify people. Otherwise, just do what you did here and ask for someone else to post. If that doesn't work you can probably double post?

Edit: Added a post for you

Edited by kenod

3 hours ago, DramaQueen said:

Would anyone be interested in joining a detective agency?

It's definitely not going to be run by a dangerous murderess.

Gentle reminder that solving crimes that you yourself committed only half counts as detective work. And if you're a duo who solves the crimes that the other person commits, that's just called flirting. I suggest rebranding as a Detective and Questionable Dating Agency, if this is the case. :)

52 minutes ago, Archer said:

Gentle reminder that solving crimes that you yourself committed only half counts as detective work. And if you're a duo who solves the crimes that the other person commits, that's just called flirting. I suggest rebranding as a Detective and Questionable Dating Agency, if this is the case. :)

Well, my character has three personalities...

Rosaleine, a dumb blonde secretary at Anarchy Incorporated

Mania, a murderess who goes by the pseudonym Magnolia and runs the detective agency. She actually solves crimes, but not her own. She leaves false trails and follows them.

The third one, they call unknow. She never remembers being this person, but this is the personality that decides who to kill.

18 hours ago, DramaQueen said:

Would anyone be interested in joining a detective agency?

It's definitely not going to be run by a dangerous murderess.

I would be willing. I have a Skybreaker character who works well in that field, I think.

Here is his character sheet as a resume after a fashion.

Spoiler

Name: Nuemark Bordeux

Investiture: Knight Radiant: Skybreaker 4th ideal.

Spren: Annette, a quiet and serious yet optimistic Highspren. She rarely shows herself to anyone, even Nuemark unless in shardblade form.

Special Skills and/or additional tools and weapons: Sleek, mid-size, automatic pistol. It has a single-stack magazine capable of holding eleven rounds and a four inch barrel. Spren, Annette. She turns into a 6 foot long, double fullered, straight blade, as broad as four fingers with an 'L' shaped spike near the tip and a Scandinavian grind. The spike is about 9 inches long and a diamond cross section. She has long, slender, quillions and a straight nagel. Bordeux is skilled at fighting with both his pistol and his "Nett-blade". He  is a sound tactician.

Weaknesses: Not altogether sane. Too trusting. Very strong moral compass (not always a weakness). Follows laws of his guild to the letter (as any skybreaker should).

Physical characteristics: Male, 6ft, 165 lbs, jett black hair, worn at a medium length, and parted in the middle, icy blue eyes (previously a muddy green). Upturned nose. Arched eyebrows. Athletic. Often wears a charcoal crombie over a dark maroon vest with a black cravat, chocolate colored, button down  shirt, and slacks with wingtips.

Family: Father, Mother, Brother, Brother, (Father and first brother disceased).

Home Planet: Roshar

History/Biography: Born 20 years before the Everstorm,  Nuemark Bordeux was raised unaware of his father's heritage. His father was a Scadrian worldhopper who settled down with a dark eyed woman in Roshar and started a family. Nuemark was second of three sons. He grew up normally fairly normally, as an Alethi stonemason's son. Eventually he ended up being pressed into the army as a spearman when he was 17. His father was pressed in at the same time, as was his older brother. They had to leave Nuemark's brother and mother unprotected, but sent a portion or thier pay back through mail.

He was a quite moral young man and hated to hurt anyone as he did, but was compelled to do so as it was against the law to disobey those above you in the chain of command, and his father had always taught him to obey the law at nearly all costs. The three of them were seperated under different command. Nuemark became a very proficient fighter, however he had developed a dangerous habbit of pulling his blows right before they hit when he didn't make a conscious decision to attack someone. He also avoided lethal blows when he could, both of which he stll does to this day.            They were soon relocated to the shattered shattered plains and within a month of fighting, Bordeux was notified that both his father and brother died in the same battle. He was devastated and abandoned his strong morals for some time, embracing the chaos, leaving cold skill and power, killing parshendi with such brutality and efficiency that he soon became quite infamous. He eventually found relief from his madness in following the laws which he was always taught to the letter, compulsively. Darkathna, who had been watching him for some time, then bonded with him and their relationship somewhat helped his sanity. The shattered plains campaign ended, and Nuemark had spoken the first two ideals. He was released from duty. He checked in on his younger brother and mother, now running the farm quite well, and went off to the Alleyverse to conquer it's injustice. He ran across the Ghostbloods, hoping to bring them to justice, met the people in the guild and decided to swear to their law instead. Unfortunately, Nuemark still suffers from frequent intrusive thoughts and images of  commiting violent acts upon many people he meets, particularly those he cares about. He obsesses over these and comes up with ways to convince himself that the "man in the thoughts" is not him, chiefly through compulsive behavior, such as regularly placing a hand on each of his weapons in turn, to prove to himself that just because he has them, doesn't mean he has to kill with them; always washing his hands after combat, whether it be mere sparring or a battle in which he killed half dozen, though it seems to him that he receives more frequent images the greater violence in which he is involved. He doesn't tell anyone but Annette about the internal struggles he has and thus, despite being charismatic before the war, he does seem rather closed off to most people these days.

Guild: Ghostbloods

Oaths:  

Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination.

I swear to seek justice, to let it guide me, until I find a more perfect Ideal. 

I swear to the will and laws of the Ghostbloods. This is  my Oath.

I will seek out traitors and oathbreakers in the Alleyverse and bring them to justice. This is my Oath.

Edited by Elend Venture

Wow, I haven't been down hear in a while. I would love to be part of the newspaper PM.

I was actually toying with the idea back in era 4 of re entering as a character who ran a newspaper. honestly sound like a great way to catch back up 

@Rushu42 

Hey...

I recently heard that the dark alley is not very known in this era, like a bogeyman they said.

How hard would it be to sell spikes to them?

this is of course only to gain contact with them...

further trade deals would be profitable for both sides.

I just want to ask if there is any way my character could contact them

6 hours ago, Lord_Silberfarben said:

Hey...

I recently heard that the dark alley is not very known in this era, like a bogeyman they said.

How hard would it be to sell spikes to them?

this is of course only to gain contact with them...

further trade deals would be profitable for both sides.

I just want to ask if there is any way my character could contact them

I’m not sure why the DA would need to buy spikes as they are more than capable of making their own - indeed likely more capable than anyone who isn’t part of the guild. Also, someone wanting to sell spikes to the DA would be like someone from our society wanting to sell something to the cabal of lizard humans secretly running our world. It would make someone sound pretty crazy to openly look for them. More than likely you’d need to have someone from the DA reach out to your character instead.

Edited by ZincAboutIt

On 27/07/2020 at 4:01 AM, ZincAboutIt said:

I’m not sure why the DA would need to buy spikes as they are more than capable of making their own

I hadn't considered this, i just have a lot of surplus spikes after some character development.

Also, someone wanting to sell spikes to the DA would be like someone from our society wanting to sell something to the cabal of lizard humans secretly running our world.

Well, i could say i know of them from two of my vissions. 

It would make someone sound pretty crazy to openly look for them.

I didn't explain myself well. i didnt mean openly look for them.

only some way for my character to contact them.

overall, thanks.

and i think i might just keep the spikes for something else in the future

God, I just spent 45 minutes writing, rewriting, and then scrapping a question about Steelrunners. First, I was going to ask about a seeming contradiction in steelmind filling and relativity, then I realized that the problem could easily be solved when you add Intent. Then, I was going to ask a more general question about intent with a steelrunner example, until finally I realized it was a stupid question that I can answer myself, then I scrapped the whole thing.
That's an hour of my life I'll never get back. 
If your wondering how this pertains to the Alleyverse, the whole reason I was asking was that my first and currently only character submission was a steelrunner, and I needed to check some things.