The Chat Thread

Archer

The Alleyverse has something called the Alleystorm, which arrives on some intervals (and when plot-relevant) and grants Stormlight, as well as fueling almost every Invesiture for free during the storm. I’m not entirely sure how it works, though.

Shadesmar essentially is the same as on Roshar. Although, the Dor is still accessible to use Selish magic; it’s just not in the Cognitive Realm... or something.

Also, Transportation/Transformation don’t need Shadesmar to work perfectly: Transportation can be used as traditional teleporting for a higher Stormlight cost, and Transformation can be on touch and intent as well as from Shadesmar.

Someone more experienced can probably answer it better, though.

The Alleystorm was created in E0. Several characters worked together to summon the storm and to enable one of them to form a bond with the Alleyspren. The most important part is, that yes the storm replenished Investiture just like a Highstorm does.

Shadesmar is a more difficult question. We never decided on how the cognitive realm looks in the Alleyverse. So far when we needed it (like several scenes with Althea) we never outright stated that the characters were still being located in the Alleyverse. While the word Shadesmar is used for the cognitive realm, it officially only refers to the one on Roshar, and that's a little what we used. If they were in Shadesmar, they were in Shadesmar. I know that this is no clear solution, and if we had a clear definition of how the cognitive realm in the Alleyverse looks like we could stop with that slight workaround, but for now this is what we have.

Regarding Transportation/ Transformation: This part is a little it the same as with Aon Dor, or with Epics (depending on from when in the Reckonerverse they come). All kinds of Investiture can be accessed and the rules are the same than in the world they originated from. That is because of the Worldspike. The Worldspike is the center of the Alleyverse. It was created to form a universe connected to all others around, and therefore the different types of Investiture/ Magic work.

If I were to start the Alleyverse Post again, would anyone be interested in writing articles for it? I'm not sure I'd be able to keep up with both writing all the articles and editing it together, but I'd be willing to take on at least part of that.

30 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

If I were to start the Alleyverse Post again, would anyone be interested in writing articles for it? I'm not sure I'd be able to keep up with both writing all the articles and editing it together, but I'd be willing to take on at least part of that.

Yes, if I am told what to write as I have no knowledge of the current affairs of the Alleyverse.

My apologies for the double post, but as this is completely unrelated, I think it's alright. I was told [in the Alleyverse PM] that to make a thread, one should bring it up in the Chat Thread. As such, I am bringing it up here. The Anarchist is going to start a business called Anarchy Incorporated which will be a thread where people can pay to bring down organisations. Thoughts?

2 hours ago, Gears said:

The Anarchist is going to start a business called Anarchy Incorporated which will be a thread where people can pay to bring down organisations. Thoughts?

What sort of organizations would you be taking down? Would this be a plan to topple the guilds?

25 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

What sort of organizations would you be taking down? Would this be a plan to topple the guilds?

This is the part where my vision falters. The main problem with this lovely idea is that the only organisations are the guilds, and toppling them seems like something I shouldn't do at the moment. The Anarchist would love to topple the Guilds because that individual is addicted to chaos. If it's alright, I would love to make a thread that is plotting to topple the guilds. However, I would of course be willing to not topple the guilds. 

In this Era there’s at least one secret guild that could work against this group if you want. Also, technically this era can be re-written as needed so all the guilds could topple and be re-formed after the timeline is righted in Era 6.

Also it’s rather ironic that an anarchist is creating a corporation :P

5 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

In this Era there’s at least one secret guild that could work against this group if you want. Also, technically this era can be re-written as needed so all the guilds could topple and be re-formed after the timeline is righted in Era 6.

Also it’s rather ironic that an anarchist is creating a corporation :P

Wonderful. It's good to know that an end goal of eliminating the guilds won't break anything. And yes, the Anarchist understands that humour. However, corporations tend to increase productivity, so Anarchy Incorporated will exist soon.

6 hours ago, Gears said:

Wonderful. It's good to know that an end goal of eliminating the guilds won't break anything. And yes, the Anarchist understands that humour. However, corporations tend to increase productivity, so Anarchy Incorporated will exist soon.

^_^ Sounds like a place where Mike could find some interesting work.

20 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Hi all! We’ve yet to get an Era 5 tavern thread up and running. I’d be willing to make and maintain a thread of this nature for anyone who wants to introduce characters, have a meeting place, or something else. Would people be interested in this?

...I'm pretty sure some of the previous tavern threads are still around in Era 5, like The Bleeding Spike?

On 7/14/2020 at 11:18 AM, Rushu42 said:

I've received feedback on this idea (thanks, @ZincAboutIt), and I was wondering if anyone would be more likely to want to join if there were also an RP element at play - say, if people created characters to roleplay in the office and chase down stories as well as writing articles. Is that just more work, or does it sound like more fun?

10 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

I've received feedback on this idea (thanks, @ZincAboutIt), and I was wondering if anyone would be more likely to want to join if there were also an RP element at play - say, if people created characters to roleplay in the office and chase down stories as well as writing articles. Is that just more work, or does it sound like more fun?

Yes. Absolutely yes.

35 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

I'd be down for that honestly.

40 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

I'd be up for that, would there be a position available for a somewhat unstable conspiracy theorist reporter?

1 hour ago, AonEne said:

...I'm pretty sure some of the previous tavern threads are still around in Era 5, like The Bleeding Spike?

Technically they are in Era 5, but no one has been around to maintain them. 

What I really care about here is giving new members a soft place to stage/introduce their new characters, learn about the world, find a plot line, etc. In addition to giving established members a place to meet. I don't care about making something new if the older threads will actually be maintained. I'd be willing to help with this because this is important to me :P 

Edited by ZincAboutIt

Just now, AonEne said:

Elend and Ax are both still here.

Alright, well we should start encouraging people to go to them then, and encouraging the people running the thread to make sure to keep up with them, or ask for help if they can't. I've seen people continuously asking how they can introduce new characters, so clearly we need a more hospitable environment to place them than in the middle of an ongoing plot. 

We've mostly been recommending the new shop threads, I believe, and the tavern has been used for some new characters fairly recently. We could also start using DIDGERIDOO again, I or others can send NPCs or characters in there to welcome newer people.

Edited by AonEne

Shop interactions are somewhat limited by nature, they're designed around a specific goal to fulfil and once that goal is fulfilled they're completed. Something like a tavern or a coffeehouse is a much lengthier more social experience. I know the Bleeding Spike saw some use a couple months back but hasn't been used much lately, and some of the NPCs there are a little aggressive for me to want to suggest it for new RPers.

I wouldn't mind us having something a little more laid back and casual like the Odd Job Tavern or the Waystop. The Boarding House may be another good alternative, not sure if we discussed what was happening with it this era? But it's nice to have a neutral place for people to meet and discuss things when they don't want to be in other threads and that then becomes an easy location for new players to meet existing characters without needing to read through an entire thread and jump headfirst into a plot.

2 hours ago, Gears said:

Yes. Absolutely yes.

1 hour ago, Invocation said:

I'd be down for that honestly.

1 hour ago, Voidus said:

I'd be up for that, would there be a position available for a somewhat unstable conspiracy theorist reporter?

1 hour ago, Ashbringer said:

I might drag Poller into this as well.

Well, this certainly got more traction! I'm thinking that it would still be affiliated with the Scholar's Guild, but not run directly from the building, so it's up to you whether your character is a member or not. I'll probably make a second character to participate. And @Voidus absolutely. Conspiracy theories are super fun to write. I'll add you guys to a PM.

27 minutes ago, Voidus said:

But it's nice to have a neutral place for people to meet and discuss things when they don't want to be in other threads and that then becomes an easy location for new players to meet existing characters without needing to read through an entire thread and jump headfirst into a plot.

Agreed, that's why I suggested DIDGERIDOO, if that sounds all right to other people?