The Chat Thread

Archer

1 minute ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Mathiau is right, you can effectively make your character as self-insert as you'd like, but they do need their own name and backstory. In this RP you generally roleplay as a character in the third person, not as yourself. So, feel free to base your character on yourself, but they do need a 3rd person, somewhat independent identity for the RP itself. Welcome! :]

That makes sense.  Thanks!

5 hours ago, Spren of Kindness said:

That makes sense.  Thanks!

No problem! The pinned thread New Members Guide to the Alleyverse is a great resource for getting the lay of the land around here, and has links to character creation threads, basic summarization of what the AV is, etc. Also, feel free to ask any questions here! This current Era (Era 5) is a bit different than usual by design, so if you're confused please speak up and we can help you out! 

---

Just a reminder that the Alleyverse Characters thread should only be used for character submission and mod approval! If you have any more questions about the Alleyverse in general, please mention them here @Spren of Kindness and we can assist you.

Edited by ZincAboutIt

14 minutes ago, Spren of Kindness said:

How long does it usually take to get a character approved?

The moment I'm back on a computer. Can't do it on mobile. Something like 12 hours probably. I don't know for sure. My tomorrow sometime.

Edited by Sorana

3 hours ago, Invocation said:

Character intro. Wait I don't have my new characters in my sig yet. Oops. It's the lifeleech character, though. My new Epic. 

What side plot? If zinc is intruiged that sounds as if you have something marvellous in mind :)

2 minutes ago, Sorana said:

I saw that :D

I was hoping for a bit more information to decide if it makes for me to move a character or not.

I couldn't give much more information without some pieces moving further. You won't have to wait for too long, hopefully, to make that choice.

29 minutes ago, Spren of Kindness said:

So should I resubmit?

You can go hit edit beneath your post, and you should be able to either put your tags at the top or the bottom of the text that's already there. Note that if the Shard forces them inside your spoiler, they don't work, tags don't work in spoilers I found recently.

Edited by SingingMosaic
typo

On 29/06/2020 at 3:29 AM, Spren of Kindness said:

I don't want to pressure anyone, but it's been almost two weeks and I haven't heard anything about my character being approved?

On 29/06/2020 at 4:58 AM, ZincAboutIt said:

In the future, make sure to tag a mod with your proposed character so the request doesn't get lost!

@Sorana @Voidus

Sorry, I've been bedridden for the better part of a week with fever so haven't been active. I think I saw that Itiah has approved this already? But if there was another character let me know and I'll take a look, just trying to catch up on everything and hopefully get some scenes written out.

Feeling much better today, I was back at work yesterday but still feeling a little off. Then I slept for about 12 hours last night and feeling 100% now, which is rare for me even when I'm not sick so woo!

45 minutes ago, Voidus said:

Sorry, I've been bedridden for the better part of a week with fever so haven't been active. I think I saw that Itiah has approved this already? But if there was another character let me know and I'll take a look, just trying to catch up on everything and hopefully get some scenes written out.

I hope you're feeling better!  Yes, my character got approved.

Hello everybody,

based on a discord discussion about a week ago we'd like to adress the whole topic character advancement. As you might have noticed that part is completely missing in the index so far, which is mostly because we as a community haven't come up with a fair way that doesn't lead to hours of more work for the mods so far.

Still we'd like to explain how our current system works. Let's say you play a Knight Radiant and want to speak your next oath. In that case you contact a mod, tell them what you plan to do and we'll approve it (or not). Basically what we're looking for is character development, that happened over some time, so please don't expect to speak an oath every single month.

Our current idea is, that at the end of each Era, when you resubmit your character sheet for the next list of characters, you have the possibility to add some advancement to their sheet. We don't want to grant everybody a fixed number of points, as we would prefer to see characters grow and evolve based on what they did in rp. We can only ask you to keep it logical, and if neccessary will decline an advancement that feels out of place. We will try this out with the transition from Era 5 to Era 6 (whenever that happens) and see if the amount of work it creates is manageable for us or not.

This also leads to something else: due to advancement your character will at one point end up over the cap limit. It's possible, but in that case we'd like to ask you to write your character accordingly. In the end, should it come to a confrontation make sure you give the other player a fair chance to win, or don't solve a plot single handedly.

Another possibility to write a 'stronger than usual' character is by using the OP character sheet. As there haven't been any submissions in a while, maybe here a short explanation. When you fill out that sheet you'll notice, that there are additional fields, like what your character can add to the story. Again, please keep in mind, that we'd like for everybody to be able to contribute to a plot or a fight, so keep that in mind while creating an OP character. Once you are done with that sheet, you submit it in the character thread. This time, we mods won't decide wether you can play the character or not, but the community will. We'll create a vote and allow some time for people to vote or ask questions in the character discussion thread. If they approve, then you can start with your character, just as you would with every other one.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask them! In general we would like to hear some feedback and your thoughts on the topic, so please let us know if you think that it can work or not.

Voidus and Sorana

Edited by Sorana

1 hour ago, BringerOfLight said:

Somewhat unrelated but can somebody send a discord link? i'd love to join.

Here you are (please not that these two don't belong to the shard and therefore aren't monitored and so on):

If it doesn't work anymore I'll create a new one.

Edited by Sorana

How does stormlight work in the alleyverse? Is there a highstorm like on roshar, or something else? 

Also, similar question, how does the cognitive realm appear? If it is different than shadesmar, that will change how the surges of Transfusion and Transportation work.