The Chat Thread

Archer

Cohesion should’t work on Aluminum - at least, I haven’t seen anything suggesting it does. And both Cohesion and Tension don’t work on Invested objects.

Also, if you want to have combat skill it doesn’t need to be “skilled”. Characters can fight with their Investiture instead of weapons: ie Dustbringers can fight with weapons, but if they have sufficient Stormlight they can also just grab things and start disintegrating them. That would only require basic hand-to-hand combat.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Gears said:

Greetings. I have recently created a character and gotten it approved. What is a good thread for an emotionless, amoral scientist that is trying to assimilate the entirety of cosmere knowledge? 

Someone from the DA may be in touch shortly :P 

However, in this current Era it's a secretive society that recruits sparingly, so you may want to get in with the Scholar's Guild first, and if you're interested in joining the DA, we could work out a plan for how best to get your character introduced, recruited, and put into the right department. I'm personally a fan of RPing guild recruitment, my main character was recruited from her initial designation of "unaffiliated" and the experience was lots of fun. If you're interested in joining the Scholar's Guild (your best public bet for Cosmere knowledge in the AV at this time) you'll want to contact @Rushu42 :]

12 minutes ago, Gears said:

Greetings. I have recently created a character and gotten it approved. What is a good thread for an emotionless, amoral scientist that is trying to assimilate the entirety of cosmere knowledge? 

I would totally suggest joining the Scholar's Guild. But then, I'm a bit biased. If you want to check it out, though, there's a thread that you can stop by. I can send my character over once she extricates herself from the current thread - or an NPC if that looks like it'll go on for a while.

2 minutes ago, BringerOfLight said:

My character is "tentatively approved"- should I start my own side story thread, or join an existing one? Is there a good RP I can just hop into?

There's a festival thread called a Masked Dance  that you can join. If you're looking for a fight, one's about to start there. There are also various location and guild threads that you could swing by, if you're looking for a conversation.

2 minutes ago, BringerOfLight said:

My character is "tentatively approved"- should I start my own side story thread, or join an existing one? Is there a good RP I can just hop into?

Hello there! We currently have an open plot working right now revolving around an annual festival, and it's basically a free-for-all with smaller mini-plots happening between groups of characters. That would probably be the closest and easiest thing to 'hop into' with little preamble. There's usually a more robust Tavern-type thread going but we currently don't have something like that actively working. I could probably spin up a pop-up tavern atmosphere within the festival thread, some kind of outdoor beer garden type thing where people could come in and out, if enough people are interested. I plan on having one of my characters meet up with another at some point in that kind of environment anyway, so I wouldn't be opposed to it.

In general, starting your own plot thread can be tricky especially if you're new or don't have a lot of people who are already on board to participate. If you do have an idea, however, feel free to pitch it here! If you get some interest, then you're good to go. Welcome!

Just now, ZincAboutIt said:

Hello there! We currently have an open plot working right now revolving around an annual festival, and it's basically a free-for-all with smaller mini-plots happening between groups of characters. That would probably be the closest and easiest thing to 'hop into' with little preamble. There's usually a more robust Tavern-type thread going but we currently don't have something like that actively working. I could probably spin up a pop-up tavern atmosphere within the festival thread, some kind of outdoor beer garden type thing where people could come in and out, if enough people are interested. I plan on having one of my characters meet up with another at some point in that kind of environment anyway, so I wouldn't be opposed to it.

In general, starting your own plot thread can be tricky especially if you're new or don't have a lot of people who are already on board to participate. If you do have an idea, however, feel free to pitch it here! If you get some interest, then you're good to go. Welcome!

Ooooh, the masked festival sounds interesting- if someone could maybe do a quick recap so I don't have to read through all nine pages to catch up, that would be amazing, but not necessary.

5 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

I would totally suggest joining the Scholar's Guild. But then, I'm a bit biased. If you want to check it out, though, there's a thread that you can stop by. I can send my character over once she extricates herself from the current thread - or an NPC if that looks like it'll go on for a while.

The Scholar's Guild seems like it will fulfill my needs. I will go find that thread.

1 minute ago, BringerOfLight said:

Ooooh, the masked festival sounds interesting- if someone could maybe do a quick recap so I don't have to read through all nine pages to catch up, that would be amazing, but not necessary.

Sure thing! You'll want to read this post in particular - it is basically a current summation of both the reason for the festival and the rough cosmology of the current iteration of the Alleyverse this Era. 

When you've read that bit, most of what you need to know is: the Festival of Rebirth is a masked summer festival that takes place annually in Alleycity. It's full of people doing festival-type things, so if you skip through the thread you'll find characters moving about, eating, interacting in small groups, etc. The main "thing" happening in there right now revolves around some people trying to apprehend a man who aided a prisoner in breaking out of a transport van. However, this is not the only thing happening in the thread, so you could easily riff off of any number of other smaller interactions happening too.

3 hours ago, BringerOfLight said:

Basically, it's an annual festival with themes of Rebirth. OOC, it celebrates the start of Era 5/ the Stranger's new world. Various people showed up and held conversations, but this got sidetracked when a mysterious white van was attacked by a KR Leecher named Tyrian. This freed the dangerous prisoner that the van was transporting, a character named Silas. They killed the guards, then Silas vanished and Tyrian fleed to set up an ambush. He is being pursued by Althea, an Elsecaller, while Aln, leader of the SG, and Byron, a cadmium savant, are debating how to help. 

I think that's a rough overview, but I have no doubt that I missed some important details.

Edit: Zinc beat me to it. Curses.

Edited by Rushu42

11 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

Basically, it's an annual festival with themes of Rebirth. OOC, it celebrates the start of Era 5/ the Stranger's new world. Various people showed up and held conversations, but this got sidetracked when a mysterious white van was attacked by a KR Leecher named Tyrian. This freed the dangerous prisoner that the van was transporting, a character named Silas. They killed the guards, then Silas vanished and Tyrian fleed to set up an ambush. He is being pursued by Althea, an Edgedancer, while Aln, leader of the SG, and Byron, a cadmium savant, are debating how to help. 

I think that's a rough overview, but I have no doubt that I missed some important details.

Thanks so much!

54 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

Basically, it's an annual festival with themes of Rebirth. OOC, it celebrates the start of Era 5/ the Stranger's new world. Various people showed up and held conversations, but this got sidetracked when a mysterious white van was attacked by a KR Leecher named Tyrian. This freed the dangerous prisoner that the van was transporting, a character named Silas. They killed the guards, then Silas vanished and Tyrian fleed to set up an ambush. He is being pursued by Althea, an Edgedancer, while Aln, leader of the SG, and Byron, a cadmium savant, are debating how to help. 

Sounds exiting! I'll definately join...when I'll finish doing all those prezentations to get better marks at the end of the year-_-

On 6/9/2020 at 11:32 PM, Sorana said:

Hey @Fatebreaker

could you give me/ us a quick update on this Era's main plot? We're nearly a month in and there's no real mainplot thread, so I'm a tad curious about the current state of the planning and how it will work. Thank you!

So far, it's sort of split between the hospital and the festival. I haven't been pushing the main plot very much for two reasons. The first one is that one of the big points of this era is to allow players to explore the alternate realities of their characters and have their own side plots within it.The main plot of this era will be to discover the true nature of this reality and revert it if possible. Unlike other eras, when this era ends all of the sideplots end, due to the world reverting (at least for the most part).

The second answer is that life this past month has been nuts. As a colored person in the US whose wife is a nurse, it's a hectic time on a number of fronts, and my creative energy has definitely suffered. I'm not trying to make excuses or garner sympathy, I'm just being honest about my general output or lack thereof. I will try to get things moving, apologies if things have seemed directionless or lackluster. 

If you'd like a breakdown of the plot points I have planned, feel free to DM me! While few things are set in stone at this point, I'm happy to share my general goals.

Thanks for your patience :)

A concept for the guild and at least another person or two to join it, I'd suggest playing for a while before going about something like that or if you already have a specific idea for a guild then talking about it here and seeing if anybody else would be interested.

OK JAZZ CLUB TIME
So over on the Discord, we've had a discussion about whether the club would be a location with its own thread, or if it would be something that would be able to exist between threads (thus placing it on the same level of reality as the Worldspike), or just both.
But as for the club itself, the name of the club is currently undecided, but it'll have live jazz performances in one side of the first level, with a few floors going up after that (ambient jazz quietly diffusing all levels) and it'll be the most snootily expensive place ever (caviar and cognac, for example (not together (I hope))).
Can't afford these meals that'll cost you an arm and a leg? We'll have alternative payment methods. Want to pay in money anyways? You'll be able to start a tab (with atrocious interest, of course). Want to ignore money existing and purchase whatever you want regardless of cost? Go ahead, it's what we all do already.
It might be a little bit more fun, however, to work out alternative payment deals or stuff like that. But that's besides the point, as we haven't even decided how the club will exist.
POLL POLL POLL POLL POLL POLL POLL
v   v   v   v   v   v   v   v   v   v   v   v   v   v   v   v   
https://www.strawpoll.me/20349514

1 minute ago, Spren of Kindness said:

If someone's already asked this, I'm sorry for clogging up the thread, but how different does my character have to be from me?  Do I need to use a different name?

I would guess "enough that you don't confuse yourself with them" :)

(Also, your pseudo is awesome)

39 minutes ago, Spren of Kindness said:

If someone's already asked this, I'm sorry for clogging up the thread, but how different does my character have to be from me?  Do I need to use a different name?

Mathiau is right, you can effectively make your character as self-insert as you'd like, but they do need their own name and backstory. In this RP you generally roleplay as a character in the third person, not as yourself. So, feel free to base your character on yourself, but they do need a 3rd person, somewhat independent identity for the RP itself. Welcome! :]