The Chat Thread

Archer

There's the CDS thread, but that's more focused on a single character, not for interactions between multiple rpers. If it's in the city though you can use the Alleycity thread. I think we did also have a thread for scenes between a few characters in a house, which was meant to have a place to RP private moments between characters without interference, but I don't know where that one has gone to.

Hi everyone. @Voidus and I were chatting and figured it could be beneficial to make another, more updated hospital/clinic thread that didn't have unfinished plot strings in it like the old hospital thread from... a long while ago. If you have an injured character, you can take them there, and also if your character is having a mental breakdown, or you need a place to house a mentally unstable character, you can put them there too. We brainstormed calling it the Alleycity Recovery Center, or the ARC. I have considered breaking the facility into three "wings": Physical, Cognitive, and Spiritual. Physical damage and recovery is pretty obvious. Cognitive would be for your more mentally unstable characters. And Spiritual damage sounds... complicated. Maybe someone who is still alive after poorly-done hemalurgy, or something of the sort. In any case, I really just needed somewhere to stick Vivica, and since we definitely have lots of characters that either get hurt or go insane, it seemed like a reasonable thread. But, I wanted to check first :]

I feel like putting all the mentally unstable individuals together in one place will go... horribly wrong. But I think it would be a good location to have and a really fun one to rp. 

Spiritual damage could also be some form of long-term Investiture damage, where something about a person’s Investiture is broken, ie they can’t stop storing health or something.

Just now, Ashbringer said:

I feel like putting all the mentally unstable individuals together in one place will go... horribly wrong. But I think it would be a good location to have and a really fun one to rp. 

Well also, you don't need to put everyone in there who is a little crazy, but if you need some place for them to go, this is as good a place as any :P 

1 hour ago, ZincAboutIt said:

...it could be beneficial to make another, more updated hospital/clinic thread that didn't have unfinished plot strings in it like the old hospital thread...

I could be wrong here, but isn't the whole point of location threads being across multiple eras so that there isn't clutter and a bunch of threads centered around the same idea? Hence why most DA stuff is in the DA thread, for example. What's wrong with reviving the old thread and using already-established worldbuilding? I like the concept you suggested, but it could maybe be people making changes to the way the old hospital was run and organized rather than getting rid of it or ignoring it entirely.

12 hours ago, kenod said:

I think we did also have a thread for scenes between a few characters in a house, which was meant to have a place to RP private moments between characters without interference, but I don't know where that one has gone to.

Edited by AonEne

11 minutes ago, AonEne said:

I could be wrong here, but isn't the whole point of location threads being across multiple eras so that there isn't clutter and a bunch of threads centered around the same idea? Hence why most DA stuff is in the DA thread, for example. What's wrong with reviving the old thread and using already-established worldbuilding? I like the concept you suggested, but it could maybe be people making changes to the way the old hospital was run and organized rather than getting rid of it or ignoring it entirely.

Sure, I don't actually care. But Voidus suggested it might be a good idea to make a new one. So, whatever! Really, I just want to start RPing my crazy character, and I need somewhere to put her. So wherever that is, I just want to nail it down.

Edited by ZincAboutIt

Given that it's been 12 months since the thread was last used it starts getting into necro territory and the sudden jump makes thread continuity a little awkward. If people really want to bring back the old hospital we can do that but given the lack of activity I'd assumed interest had died down.

Personally, I think that a new thread would make more sense. If there's such a long necro, I think that having two disparate storylines in the same place would be more confusing than the added clutter of a new thread. But I suppose I'm not super invested, with no currently insane or badly injured characters. 

Tyrian might also wind up “visiting” more often than not, although I cringe at his reaction to being locked in any building. Holding even a part-koloss prisoner would be... difficult.

I fourth the proposal. If fourth-ing is a thing.

3 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

Tyrian might also wind up “visiting” more often than not, although I cringe at his reaction to being locked in any building. Holding even a part-koloss prisoner would be... difficult.

I'm not sure if Alleycity is really in the business of forcing people to stay inside the Cognitive ward, this isn't exactly Victorian England :P But if he was violent to himself or others that would probably be a different story, or if he wasn't able to care for himself, etc.

Regarding the hospital: I'm with Ene, I have to admit I also thought that the point of location threads was to reuse them when they are needed again. And especially that thread never had more than scenes in it anyway, so plot continuity wouldn't be an issue for me. Especially now with E5 we could have changed it according to new needs. I have to prefer I also like if we can create no only stories for our characters, but also for the city and its places.

Addtionally now with E5 at least I loose some potential scenes I've lined out, as the hospital played a vital role in some of character's backstories.

But in the end it's easy, if it's against the rules to reuse it, it's against the rules.

Edited by Sorana

Alright, well, I really don't mind so much as long as I don't have to wait for whoever runs the hospital thread (whoever that even is) to respond to me or my characters, if I can just kind of write my own thing or write interaction, that's fine with me. Or, I can create a separate thread just for a mental health clinic, that way the hospital can be kept for people who are hurt or sick, but this could be like a special center, more niche in scope.

4 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Alright, well, I really don't mind so much as long as I don't have to wait for whoever runs the hospital thread (whoever that even is) to respond to me or my characters, if I can just kind of write my own thing or write interaction, that's fine with me. Or, I can create a separate thread just for a mental health clinic, that way the hospital can be kept for people who are hurt or sick, but this could be like a special center, more niche in scope.

The hospital could always be completely written by those with characters there. For a while some healer characters used to work there, and were tagged, but usually all npcs can be controlled by whoever wanted to do it.

And I would be the one to run it, now that's Ax is mostly inactive, I think.

But again, I certainly don't want to break any site rule. I'd rather throw my plans away than do that.

Edited by Sorana

I just checked the thread, so to clear up exactly what type of necro it would be: just less than a year, so not that bad considering we have threads like The Newcago Court which get necroed all the time, and as far as I can tell from skimming the last few posts there are no lingering plot threads. The last characters to be in there left it.

Necroing has also always seemed a bit different for RP threads to me. I mean, we still use the guild threads and threads like CDS and it doesn’t matter. Last era’s in-between eras thread got necroed a few times with people adding their scenes, and Voidus decided to reuse it for in-between E4 and E5 as well.

There’s nothing in necroing this that we wouldn’t have done before, and in a city as important as Alleycity, the number of lasting named locations we have is...not super high. Especially if you take out all the tavern-type places. I agree with what Sorana said about building the place along with the characters; writing over history (in the unInvested, normal-people-way) all the time just makes for a creation that feels transient to me. And from a writing standpoint, making use of what you already have to accomplish something as opposed to creating something new for every occasion is usually the preferable option, leading to a better product. 

I, uh, have strong feelings about this, I guess lol. 

Edited by AonEne

Well, if it's not again the site rules, I would prefer to use our existing hospital instead of a new one. I do have scenes planned there and am nearly done writing them and I would prefer to be able to have them happen. I won't be able to do that with a new place.

As Ene said, it's one of our few named locations, and I personally don't see the point in creating a new one. It will always be a location that is used for a while and then will have to rest aside when nobody is in need of it. If I remember correctly, we might even have had some insane people there already, although I'm not entirely sure of that. Our hospital saw several different plot lines, to simply throw it away feels a little sad to me, especially as it has been around for nearly two years now. For me we are also writing the history of this city, and while exchanging our taverns has become something like a tradition, I like the thought that some places, like the harbour, the hall of legends, and said hospital are around and witness what we do.

It also leads me to a different question. While I can see that we might IC build a second hospital, what do we do with threads like The Harbour? The city has only one, and that has been established. If we now go with a new hospital, what do we do if someone needs the harbour again? Create a second thread, and therefore a second harbour that hasn't existed so far?

In the end the most important thing is, that we have such a place. I like the possibility, because I also think people are more likely to get their characters injured if they know, that they can control some NPCs at a hospital and get them fixed again.

3 hours ago, Emi said:

I could also agree with, those, who want to make it, "building" a hospital maks sense. I wasn't here in the previos eras, but anyway, I'm on yes!

We do have one. The question is wether we continue with what we have or create a new place. ^_^

Edited by Sorana

Alright well clearly the people against this idea have way stronger opinions than the ones for it - I for one don’t care - so can we call it solved and move on? 

Edit: I'm going to just post in the old hospital thread. If I need to move something at some point, just tell me. 

Edited by ZincAboutIt

Can someone give me a TLDR of what happened with the re-Spiking and the time jump? I’m trying to have Byron be sort of stuck between two powers, but I don’t know if the timeline is supposed to be a permanent or temporary jump.