The Chat Thread

Archer

Just now, Arcc1002 said:

i like it that way. I think that the day might be more serious, a time of introspection, where everyone stays home, and then at night it all flips.

Ooh, that is cool! The daytime period could be for looking forward through the year, mapping out plans or goals. Then once night falls, it's time to celebrate! I like the idea of the celebration lasting more than one day. Maybe three? Three is a fun number.

I think it would be lots of fun to add in "archetypes" for masks or costumes the way that some cultures do during festivals like this. They could be based on the old timeline, but exist only as mythical people/creatures/or "roles". Since I believe Voidus and the Stranger will both be actual canonized mythology, we could have people dressing up as them (5 Boxings says the Stranger will dress up as the Stranger for some incognito irony :P). 

Some ideas for dress-up archetypes:

The Stranger

The Lonely God (Voidus)

The Spymaster (Mac)

The Baker (an important TUBA founder/leader of choice)

The Assassin

The Scholar

The Acolyte

The Lady of Shadows (a reference to Aylitha perhaps, in her new role as the boogeyman)

Any other suggestions?

So, here's what we've got:

The Day of Rebirth, in which, at night, everyone puts on masks and it's like a carnivals. Drinks are probably rolled out en masse, and everyone who drinks is probably gonna be pretty out of it by the end of the night. It's like new years, masquerade balls, halloween, and summer solstice fairs rolled into one. Day is day of introspection. Created by the Stranger to celebrate his own accomplishment.

11 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Ooh, that is cool! The daytime period could be for looking forward through the year, mapping out plans or goals. Then once night falls, it's time to celebrate! I like the idea of the celebration lasting more than one day. Maybe three? Three is a fun number.

I think it would be lots of fun to add in "archetypes" for masks or costumes the way that some cultures do during festivals like this. They could be based on the old timeline, but exist only as mythical people/creatures/or "roles". Since I believe Voidus and the Stranger will both be actual canonized mythology, we could have people dressing up as them (5 Boxings says the Stranger will dress up as the Stranger for some incognito irony :P). 

Some ideas for dress-up archetypes:

The Stranger

The Lonely God (Voidus)

The Spymaster (Mac)

The Baker (an important TUBA founder/leader of choice)

The Assassin

The Scholar

The Acolyte

The Lady of Shadows (a reference to Aylitha perhaps, in her new role as the boogeyman)

Any other suggestions?

I think there has to be The Storyteller (Hoid reference) in there too.

12 minutes ago, Arcc1002 said:

Created by the Stranger to celebrate his own accomplishment.

I have to admit I prefered the idea, that the foundation of Alleycity is celebrated, or maybe really the Solstice/ the beginning of a new year.

Just now, Sorana said:

I have to admit I prefered the idea, that the foundation of Alleycity is celebrated, or maybe really the Solstice/ the beginning of a new year.

That could be the in-world reason everyone celebrates it. We would all celebrate it though because it was designed as a kind of meta-celebration.

Just now, Sorana said:

I agree that in the in world perspective it's that, but more it was the Stranger put it in when he made it

Also, I think there should be much less human archetypes. 

Such as:

The Chasmfiend

The Honorspren

The Cryptic

The Koloss

And whatever else

Also, I like the idea of adding

The Inquisitor

Some of this stuff would be from Alleyplanet, but as it is a worldhopper society, I think it's rational to add stuff from other worlds, maybe some non-cosmere stuff too?

Just now, Arcc1002 said:

Some of this stuff would be from Alleyplanet, but as it is a worldhopper society, I think it's rational to add stuff from other worlds, maybe some non-cosmere stuff too?

Totally sensible. Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if people dressed up as literally anything. We could have hordes of people dressed up as weird creatures from any and all worlds, heck, even people dressing up as Shards from their home worlds. When else are you going to get to dress up as Ruin, or one of the Hallandren gods? The point of archetypes though is that there aren't very many, because the archetypes play out the "story" of the party and then go back to sleep once the party is over. But yeah, I definitely could see people dressing up as literally whatever they wanted.

1 minute ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Totally sensible. Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if people dressed up as literally anything. We could have hordes of people dressed up as weird creatures from any and all worlds, heck, even people dressing up as Shards from their home worlds. When else are you going to get to dress up as Ruin, or one of the Hallandren gods? The point of archetypes though is that there aren't very many, because the archetypes play out the "story" of the party and then go back to sleep once the party is over. But yeah, I definitely could see people dressing up as literally whatever they wanted.

Those are things I'm just saying might be more common. I get what you mean though.

I think you could have it as originally the masks started as a representation of characters in creation myth, which expanded to a Halloween-like masks/costumes of literally everything in the cosmere - but the original mythological masks are the classic symbols of the holiday, and so they are more common overall. 

Probably an adapted version of this mythos:

Spoiler
On 5/19/2018 at 8:37 PM, MacThorstenson said:

In the beginning, there were the universes. Every possible one existed separate and apart form the others. Nothing connected them except for the primordial vacuum that they floated in. This vacuum is known as the Void. It is impossible for mortals to understand the Void in its true essence. To attempt a description, I will use the metaphor that I was told once. The Void is like the alleyway between buildings, but on a inter-cosmic scale. The universes are like different buildings in a city, and the Void is like the Alleyway in between the two buildings. 

There was a being who resided inside of the Void. His name is Voidus. similarly to the Void, it is impossible to understand his true form, but to try to understand him, I will use a quote from a very helpful member of the reptilian royalty. He stated that "A Voidus is pages upon pages of Epic profiles, It is a spike in the back in a dark alley. It is a slowpoke with a horriffic crab monster parasitically attached to its tail. It is, to put it simply... the void that is in all of us."

Voidus wanted one thing, to be able to push the bounds of knowledge, and sell cookies while he was at it. So he used his ability to maneuver around universes to found an organization that would accomplish these goals. They would push the bounds of the most complicated and elegant of sciences, Hemalugy, and sell the spikes in cookies. The trick was actually getting people to buy their products. The members of this organization were the People you wouldn't want to meet in a Dark Alley. The people who would stab you in the back with a spike. Those who were connected with Voidus. Who shared his purpose, his drive. They played to their advantages, selling cookies in the backs of dark alleys. This was the foundation of the organization modernly known as the Dark Alley, known as the DA for short. 

To accomplish their second goal, Voidus realized that they would need a base of operations. To do this, he set up labs on the various worlds, because communication was impossible between the universes for anyone that wasn't a cosmic being. Unfortunately, these labs kept on rediscovering the wheel. They would make the same discoveries, once one on Earth discovered something, one on Nalthis would discover the same thing a week later. He realized that they needed a way to communicate, to share ideas for the progression of science. To accomplish this he founded the allies. He took some of the essence of every single universe, and wrapped around a single spike that he had stabbed through a random universe, to spike out its cosmic stability. He inserted the spike into the void, and stabbed it into it. This new found place, where bits of all the universe were connected, became the alleys. They became the  shortcuts between buildings in the cosmic city. This was to be the Head Quarters of the Dark Alley.

The World Spike was a hemalurgic spike that literally holds the alleyverse together. It was placed by Voidus in the beginning. To help prevent accidents, <REDACTED FOR SECURITY REASONS*>.

Visually, the Alleys looked like an endless plane of alleys cutting through a city of empty buildings. Truly infinite, they followed no logical order, shifting and moving themselves to create the shortest path to what ever place a person needed. Its important to note, that the alleys are not under our control. As members of the DA, Voidus lets us manipulate the alleys to better achieve our mission. People who aren't members of the alleys don't have access to their spacial warping abilities. They aren't able to move the alleys like we can. The allies were connected to the different universes through their allies. Anything that was perceived to be a Dark Alley in the multiverse, could be used to teleport into any part of the allies by a denizen of the dark allies.

To cover his creation from the rest of the multiverse, Voidus created a more physical representation of the alleys. If the Alleys were the cognitive realm, subject to the perception of Voidus, or whoever needed to use them and was granted power by voidus, this was the physical realm. Subject to the physical laws of earth and the cosmere and randland (these were the universes closest to the alleyverse) it was what most would consider the normal part of the alleyverse. It was built using the alleys as a base, a foundation, which were built using the world spike. 

People eventually found out about the allies. This physical plane was where they could safely reside. (for non denizens, the allies posed a danger. without cognitive manipulation it was nearly impossible to avoid the hordes of eldritch horrors that populated this plane.) On this physical plane, people gathered into guilds, each one with a goal. Many guilds rose to oppose the DA, but they eventually fell as they weren't strong enough. Other guilds survived for many years. Then, the plague struck. This was known as the plague of inactivity. It destroyed many guilds, most of their members left, either to join the infected, or to escape its horrible effects. The DA was able to survive, because of the Allies, and the fact that it could always retreat to its original labs on various worlds. It was the only guild left in the wreckage. 

Eventually, activity returned to the Alleyverse. With new guilds such as the Canton of Combat, TUBA, the Ghostbloods, the Liebrary, among others. you can see this modern history of the Alleys by reading various records. 

*Please note that the defenses of the world spike have been written and recorded, and when the RP reaches a point where they are necessary to reveal, the DA will provide a description with timestamps to show when they were finalized.

4 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Yeah, NullBlade is definitely dressing up as Steelheart, feel free too confuse it with a Superman cosplay :D

4 hours ago, 18th Shard said:

I think you could have it as originally the masks started as a representation of characters in creation myth, which expanded to a Halloween-like masks/costumes of literally everything in the cosmere - but the original mythological masks are the classic symbols of the holiday, and so they are more common overall. 

Probably an adapted version of this mythos:

Reveal hidden contents

How about: exactly that but everybody think the DA is a myth too except for a few conspiracy theorists whose theories looks nothing like what the actual DA is like?

28 minutes ago, mathiau said:

Yeah, NullBlade is definitely dressing up as Steelheart, feel free too confuse it with a Superman cosplay :D

How about: exactly that but everybody think the DA is a myth too except for a few conspiracy theorists whose theories looks nothing like what the actual DA is like?

The DA is a thing. That's already known in world. It just isn't known as an all encompassing guild of gods that could destroy all else in its.

Equivalent (or maybe even a bit less?) to the Ghostbloods or TUBA.

8 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

The daytime period could be for looking forward through the year, mapping out plans or goals. Then once night falls, it's time to celebrate! I like the idea of the celebration lasting more than one day. Maybe three? Three is a fun number. 

Proposition: the first day is one of thinking about the past, the second is for thinking about where you are and what you can do right now, the third is for planning the future and making goals or resolutions. All three nights are celebrations. 

I love all the planning so far! 

8 hours ago, AonEne said:

Proposition: the first day is one of thinking about the past, the second is for thinking about where you are and what you can do right now, the third is for planning the future and making goals or resolutions. All three nights are celebrations. 

Thinking about the past seems a bit too similar to thinking about where you are, same thing for thinking about what you can do and planning the future, how about : first day you think about the past, first night you enjoy the present, the second day you plan for the future and second night there originally was no celebration but people like to party so in the end they put one anyway?

19 hours ago, AonEne said:

Honestly, I don't really like three days. We have enough trouble in the AV with all our Rp taking months and being only a single in game day.

Three nights could very well be the entire era xD

I’m good with one day or three days. If we did one we could maybe have thinking about the past in the morning, then present in the middle of the day, future in the evening, party at night, or something. *shrugs* 

It could be interesting to do a plot that all happened in a day sometime...but that’s another topic.