The Chat Thread

Archer

Hi. I'm new to the site, was looking through roleplay stuff and stumbled on this. I looked over the guides and part of the character thread so I could figure out generally how the creation process went and what I was looking at. It was there that I read someone directing another new person to here, so hopefully I'm in the right spot. Started looking at other threads, to get an idea of how stories generally happened, I hope no one minds that. I'm not sure what your policy is on people reading just to read. I got sucked in quickly, my roommate's had to ask me everything twice for like two days now.

So I was wondering, a couple things. I saw the character creation guide most recently posted to the character creation thread, and saw a later mention of it that said it was meant to be updated. Would it still be fine to use that to build with or has it been updated?

My second question: What time period is it in all the worlds that cross this one, or does it matter? Could you come from either Mistborn era, for example or is there a such thing as "current time"?

My third question: Is there anything that happens that acts similar to a highstorm? I ask because one of the character ideas bouncing around in my head is a Singer (ah, is? was? Questions!) and knowing if they're stuck in one form will heavily influence how I build their backstory and play them, if I go with that one.

A bit of backstory on me and my RP experience. I've been doing it for almost ten years, but almost entirely on MUDs/MOOs etc. so there were game mechanics, shorter emotes, quicker response times, very strict rules about the IC/OOC divide and what kind of information you could have that your character was allowed to know, so I'm used to partitioning off information, creating a set of knowledge the character has as well as their personality and history. I've never done a more storylike RP before, but I feel like they'd be a good fit for me. I was always incredibly slow at writing emotes because I was writing little bits of book.

39 minutes ago, SingingMosaic said:

Hi

Hi! It’s perfectly fine reading just to read, so don’t worry about that. About the character sheets, as of now they’re fine to use for character-building, it hasn’t been updated yet to my knowledge.

There is a ‘current time’ in the Alleyverse, which is roughly Era 2 Mistborn and Roshar in the middle of fighting Odium. For the other planets, the settings are assumed to be how they’re depicted in the books (regardless of how much time has passed chronologically) simply because we don’t have any other version of those worlds to go off on. However, it’s very open, so if you want to have a character from Mistborn Era 1, for example, it’s totally within possibility that the character could’ve fallen into an inter-dimensional alley and ended up in the modern-day Alleyverse.

To your third question: yes! We have the AlleyStorm, which in addition to doing everything a highstorm does (minus crazy destruction, you can be outside in the middle of it), also enhances all Investiture, kind of like a nicroburst that lasts for a couple minutes. It rolls around whenever is convenient (:P) and can be used to change forms for Singers.

Glad to have you in this RP, Mosiac :).

Welcome to the Alleyverse!

Just to add on to the response about time, though ITIAH pretty much covered it, there is a current 'max' time that someone could be from which is whenever the most recent book has been published (conveniently) but a character can be from any previous point in Shardworld history. We've got plenty of both era 1 and era 2 Mistborn characters, etc.
Basically the 'current time' is what time it would be if you went from the AV back to a Shardworld but due to time being wibbly wobbly and timey wimey, you can be from any time period.
Now I'll stop because it's possible I've already made this more confusing instead of simpler. :P

Looking forward to seeing you around the RP, let us know if you have any questions. @I think I am here., myself ( @Voidus ) and @Sorana are the mods for the RP so feel free to message or tag us if you need anything, but we have an amazing community who will all help out too.

Clicked on something in into the Dark as I was reading it, I accidentally hit space on something the screenreader doesn't read a proper label for. Hopefully it was harmless and it was upvote. Not sure if the system has anything like downvote. Hopefully not. Anyway if any oddness happens my bad, point any people going huh what at this. If not and it was an upvote, then good, I know where that is now, and also good, I like most of what I've been reading everywhere. :)

Edit: Thanks guys, thanks. I will never be able to sarcastically ask, "Want a cookie?" the same way again. lol

Edited by SingingMosaic
Added something, fixed something, avoiding double posting.

32 minutes ago, SingingMosaic said:

Clicked on something in into the Dark as I was reading it, I accidentally hit space on something the screenreader doesn't read a proper label for. Hopefully it was harmless and it was upvote.

Yep thanks for the unsolicited upvote! :P We don’t have downvotes here, also, so no worries on that regard.

Yeah, those got taken out a few years ago, and weren't actually really used, except in a few cases. We did/do have negative ranks though, but you can't reach them anymore. There are still some ancient accounts of trolls floating around the shard though which managed to get really low with their rep.

15 hours ago, SingingMosaic said:

Clicked on something in into the Dark as I was reading it, I accidentally hit space on something the screenreader doesn't read a proper label for. 

Edit: Thanks guys, thanks. I will never be able to sarcastically ask, "Want a cookie?" the same way again. lol

May I ask what a screenreader is? 

You’re welcome :P 

6 hours ago, Voidus said:

None that managed to achieve the awe-inspiring rank of 'Rotting Chasmfiend Corpse' though. Only one has achieved that honour. :D

Do you still have a screenshot? 

It's OK, it happens in headphones, also they're good, don't worry. :)

I used to read everything in Braille. I'm reading Stormlight in Braille again in anticipation of book 4 and I forgot how much I'd missed actually reading. Now that I have something that I can connect to the computer for that, I might start again.

It's a fairly monotone voice, sadly. I got used to it eventually, trying to fill in the gaps with my imagination.

• 1 month later...

Um... so I don’t know if this is the right place to ask this, but I have a question. I would really love to join the Alleyverse, and I have a character, but is there a place that I could start RPing? (And do you guys WANT random newbies just jumping in? I don’t want to be a nuisance) 

6 hours ago, Soulbinder said:

Um... so I don’t know if this is the right place to ask this, but I have a question. I would really love to join the Alleyverse, and I have a character, but is there a place that I could start RPing? (And do you guys WANT random newbies just jumping in? I don’t want to be a nuisance) 

We love it when we get new members, worry not! 

You could have them be in the Alleycity Thread. There have been a few new characters recently, you might be able to get together and talk. (*guiltily looks at Salad*) Or you could have them walk into a guild thread if you want to join one. 

14 hours ago, Tana'kai_humaka'aban said:

Anybody interested in joining a guild? Specifically a guild dedicated to monitoring diseases. 

The Alleyverse doesn’t have any pandemics going on at the moment, so that guild might have a tough time if you started it :P I also don’t have any free characters. 

4 minutes ago, The_Archivist said:

Can anyone point me to a thread that explains the major plot? And where i can find the other eras plot?

The main plot is in this thread, basically, a cave system has been found under the city and some people are exploring it, then they found atium. It's probably too late to join it but I would advise you to follow it because in the last pages  @Fatebreaker has been preparing things for the next era.

For the other eras you have the wiki https://alleyverse.fandom.com/wiki/Alleyverse_Wiki

@The_Archivist

As @mathiau already mentioned this era's plot is basically over. @Fatebreaker and @Voidus want to finish a few interactions, and then we can start discussion about the next era. Regarding a timeline: I can't tell you, when everything is ready, irl a lot of things are pretty crazy right now.

So if you want to start right now, please do it, we always announce a new era starting in the chat thread first and give everybody time to wrap things up. If you have an idea for a small plot, you can always start a new thread, although in the past it was usually better to pitch the idea here first and see who is interested to write it with you. But both ways work fine. Or you start with some fluff, and have your character meet someone else's in a tavern, get into writing them.

Edited by Sorana

19 hours ago, 18th Shard said:

I found this gem from a signing a few years ago. 

From the man himself:

https://wob.coppermind.net/media/snippets/273/5084_13.mp3

I believe we have a thread for that in this very subforum. (I love how he agrees without even knowing what it is. Brandon, you trusting man :P) Ele also asked whether there were bind points in the digestive tract, iirc.