Ookla the Paramount

The Chat Thread

AV prequel   16 members have voted

This poll is closed for new votes
  1. 1. Would you be interested in RPing in an alleyverse prequel thread?

• yes
    • no

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1,667 posts in this topic

Yeah. We should still have an Alleyverse code of laws, and have the Precursors enforcing it, but in the background, only actually being there if it is necessary for a plot.

On 8/29/2019 at 8:17 PM, Voidus said:

More threads per page.

That is...really weird. But the threads are all still there, no other change? Did this happen forum-wide?

14 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

I would say the second option, saying a government exists but keeping it in the background gives people space to create PCs related to it if they want, such as a politician character, or someone corrupt, or someone with the government involved in their backstory. I also think continuing to have a government would be a nice little hallmark of the evolution AlleyCity has gone through over the eras (like a city-wide character arc :))

I also agree with this.

14 minutes ago, RayOfSunshine said:

*sighs*

as usual, Itiah's argument has swayed me

;)

On 08/20/2019 at 4:21 PM, Sorana said:

Me, @I think I am here., @Sherlock Holmes, @Lord Furret are the core team around the GB plot at the moment. I mean we could set that one as main plot, but it was more thought of as a side plot. But it's more or less ready, with a vague outline where it can go, depending on the characters and their decisions.

Basically it's some kind of detective/ spy/ assassin setting, that can be solved by fighting or by outsmarting the other party. the large arc is, that another guild wants to take the place of the GBs and tries to destabilize the guild by killing members. They have to be stopped.

Everybody who wants to be part of the planning is welcome to do so. Who doesn't want to, but still wants to participate is welcome as well.

Can I?

I've not done much lately. 

Disclaimer: This is purely a proposal. I do not in any way speak for the mod team, or the Alleyverse as a whole.

So, I've noticed something we have extremely... lacking in the Alleyverse. I'll compare this situation to the Reckoners RP, as it's an issue they've had as well. Vanillas. A term used for those without powers. Regular people, people who have no powers, no magic artifacts. Just people.

And there comes my idea.

For a month or so now, I decided that, next era, I would RP a vanilla NPC. The plan was to ask everyone not to control actions directly. This character would progress as far as they progressed, untill, as I was fine with, someone killed them. Then I would make another vanilla NPC, and keep going as such, in this pattern. I would have character development, maybe eventually some of them would get soulcasters, or a shardblade. Maybe they would convert to a religion. Maybe they would join a guild. But my purpose for them would be to have real characters, real people, who act as they should, can die with a whim of the godlike entities in the Alleyverse. Because we have those NPCs in the Alleyverse. And we do kill them. But we don't show what they should act as, that they're people, with emotions.

And I started thinking to myself, what if that's not enough? One person, with one character? The Alleyverse would still be supremely unbalanced. And that's where my idea comes in, the proposal I warned you about in the disclaimer at the beginning of this post.

I would ask the mod team, as it is, to add a sixth character slot. Something not the same as the rest. A Vanilla slot. The Vanilla would not have over thirty points in skills, and would not have any investiture. They would be similar to an NPC, killable by anyone, with the difference of no one controlling the actions.

Yes, it would add work to the workload. But I think it's worth it. To add a dimension to the Alleyverse, an important one, we haven't had. And, of course, not everyone would have one of these characters, in all likelihood. But with this, the random extra character wouldn't subtract from your whole, and gives motivation.

And, you know, if you're not up to the task you could always make me a mod :P (I'm joking, btw) 

-Ark1002, Triarchy Member, Head of Recruitment, Ghostblood Extraordinaire

Hey Ark, this is a really cool idea. That being said, if people haven’t been making too many uninvested characters now, how will creating another ‘vanilla slot’ give people motivation? Most people already do have a slot or two available for characters, but still don’t make any uninvested ones. Why would adding an extra slot for the purpose change that?

Also, worth noting we do have some (rather awesome)  uninvested characters like Eve. But I do see your point, that there’s an imbalance, I just don’t see how another slot would aid that? Though I have tried myself to try and get some very low-level NPCs in some of my posts (most notably Wes, who somehow evolved into actually having a purpose, Patrick Miller, who I fully expected to be killed by Queen Elsa Steelheart, and Neil Patrick Carter, NPC :P).

So, in conclusion, I think you have a point about the imbalance, but I’m not sure if creating another slot for it is how we solve it.

-I think I am here, aka ITIAH, aka Itiah :P 

Edited by I think I am here.

28 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

Hey Ark, this is a really cool idea. That being said, if people haven’t been making too many uninvested characters now, how will creating another ‘vanilla slot’ give people motivation? Most people already do have a slot or two available for characters, but still don’t make any uninvested ones. Why would adding an extra slot for the purpose change that?

Also, worth noting we do have some (rather awesome)  uninvested characters like Eve. But I do see your point, that there’s an imbalance, I just don’t see how another slot would aid that? Though I have tried myself to try and get some very low-level NPCs in some of my posts (most notably Wes, who somehow evolved into actually having a purpose, Patrick Miller, who I fully expected to be killed by Queen Elsa Steelheart, and Neil Patrick Carter, NPC :P).

So, in conclusion, I think you have a point about the imbalance, but I’m not sure if creating another slot for it is how we solve it.

-I think I am here, aka ITIAH, aka Itiah :P 

Well, a lot of people are approaching five characters. They want to leave slots open for new characters. They don't want to waste it on a vanilla. This would take the pressure off. That's my theory, anyway, and part of the reason the myself. Also, if we're going by purely selfish reasons, it would get me another character slot ;)

Edited by RayOfSunshine

I'm on my second era with an uninvested character and to be frank about it, I love it.

Initially it was a shock. RPing one of the weakest characters in a room is very different from RPing one around or slightly below the average strength. That isn't to say an uninvested character has nothing for them. 150 points of skills add up. 

But the reason people don't make uninvested characters isn't a matter of character slots (for most people). It's really because of how different an experience it can be. The character has one less protection. Even Feruchemy can add a sense of security to a character. RPing Light Acute is very different from RPing Eve, despite the fact that storing Identity isn't very useful normally. The first thing an uninvested can fall back on is their brain, rather than Investiture. They also tend to have a very different experience in Alleycity. Weaker invested characters also get the feeling for this too, but less so. To be in a city ruled by godlike entities is very different when they're powerless.

I am all for there being more uninvested characters in the Alleyverse. There is an imbalance, I agree, of the ratio of invested to uninvested, but I don't believe this is the way to solve it. 

This is where to start:

38 minutes ago, RayOfSunshine said:

They don't want to WASTE it on a vanilla.

We need to create a mindset in which people understand that uninvested characters aren't a waste. 

Because, truly, if anything they're much more rewarding.

Edited by Silva

5 hours ago, Silva said:

We need to create a mindset in which people understand that uninvested characters aren't a waste. 

I agree with Silva here.

Lena is around since Era 2 and writing her is so much fun. Yes, every other character around can kill her, but so far she's still around I enjoy it a lot. Actually she's more fun, than some of my invested ones, because there are risks to her actions. I really need to think about her posts and about the actions she does, and there are so many possibilities for her to go.

Yes, if you look at a duel, then she'll die within the first ten seconds, but that's not because she has no investiture, it's also because I didn't give her a single fighting skill, and it's fine. She's simply a character, that has to influence the story in another way than a fight.

Edited by Sorana

You're right, Silva. It isn't a waste, that was just my guess as to how it might be perceived. 

On 9/2/2019 at 3:53 PM, RayOfSunshine said:

Disclaimer: This is purely a proposal. I do not in any way speak for the mod team, or the Alleyverse as a whole.

So, I've noticed something we have extremely... lacking in the Alleyverse. I'll compare this situation to the Reckoners RP, as it's an issue they've had as well. Vanillas. A term used for those without powers. Regular people, people who have no powers, no magic artifacts. Just people.

And there comes my idea.

For a month or so now, I decided that, next era, I would RP a vanilla NPC. The plan was to ask everyone not to control actions directly. This character would progress as far as they progressed, untill, as I was fine with, someone killed them. Then I would make another vanilla NPC, and keep going as such, in this pattern. I would have character development, maybe eventually some of them would get soulcasters, or a shardblade. Maybe they would convert to a religion. Maybe they would join a guild. But my purpose for them would be to have real characters, real people, who act as they should, can die with a whim of the godlike entities in the Alleyverse. Because we have those NPCs in the Alleyverse. And we do kill them. But we don't show what they should act as, that they're people, with emotions.

And I started thinking to myself, what if that's not enough? One person, with one character? The Alleyverse would still be supremely unbalanced. And that's where my idea comes in, the proposal I warned you about in the disclaimer at the beginning of this post.

I would ask the mod team, as it is, to add a sixth character slot. Something not the same as the rest. A Vanilla slot. The Vanilla would not have over thirty points in skills, and would not have any investiture. They would be similar to an NPC, killable by anyone, with the difference of no one controlling the actions.

Yes, it would add work to the workload. But I think it's worth it. To add a dimension to the Alleyverse, an important one, we haven't had. And, of course, not everyone would have one of these characters, in all likelihood. But with this, the random extra character wouldn't subtract from your whole, and gives motivation.

This is an interesting idea, and one I wouldn’t mind. 

On 9/2/2019 at 5:24 PM, Silva said:

I'm on my second era with an uninvested character and to be frank about it, I love it.

Initially it was a shock. RPing one of the weakest characters in a room is very different from RPing one around or slightly below the average strength. That isn't to say an uninvested character has nothing for them. 150 points of skills add up. 

But the reason people don't make uninvested characters isn't a matter of character slots (for most people). It's really because of how different an experience it can be. The character has one less protection. Even Feruchemy can add a sense of security to a character. RPing Light Acute is very different from RPing Eve, despite the fact that storing Identity isn't very useful normally. The first thing an uninvested can fall back on is their brain, rather than Investiture. They also tend to have a very different experience in Alleycity. Weaker invested characters also get the feeling for this too, but less so. To be in a city ruled by godlike entities is very different when they're powerless.

I am all for there being more uninvested characters in the Alleyverse. There is an imbalance, I agree, of the ratio of invested to uninvested, but I don't believe this is the way to solve it. 

This is where to start:

Because, truly, if anything they're much more rewarding.

I agree with everything Silva said! I don’t know if RPing Deteca counts, especially now that I’m going to start giving her Voidmaking, and she’s never been an NPC, but characters with supposedly less power can be really fun. 

I'd be down for a Vanilla-only character slot. I'm guilty of wanting to play one but not wanting to waste a slot when there's a chance I could think up some really cool power combination to explore shortly afterwards.

Just now, Invocation said:

I'd be down for a Vanilla-only character slot. I'm guilty of wanting to play one but not wanting to waste a slot when there's a chance I could think up some really cool power combination to explore shortly afterwards.

yeah.

Vanilla is cool, but I love power combos way too much, which is why I think it's a good idea.

Is it just me, or did the Alleyverse just slow down a lot?

36 minutes ago, Lord Furret said:

Is it just me, or did the Alleyverse just slow down a lot?

I imagine it's probably normal, as the Era is about to turn over, plots of this Era are winding down or closed altogether, and people are planning their next moves.

It did. 

We have a lot of stuff planned, but we need to wrap up the main plot and then we can start the next Era and launch all of the plots. 

At this point, am I correct in saying that everyone is just doing whatever except for the people fighting/going to fight Ajax or the Conquerers? 

Yep. 

Hopefully the fight between Ajax is wrapped up in a post or two, and then we can officially launch era 4. 

It does look like that will go quickly, what with him just having been handed over to Voidus, but what about the rest? We can say the army just got finished off when we wrap things up, but the Conquerers should probably be killed onscreen so as not to leave things hanging. 

5 minutes ago, AonEne said:

It does look like that will go quickly, what with him just having been handed over to Voidus, but what about the rest? We can say the army just got finished off when we wrap things up, but the Conquerers should probably be killed onscreen so as not to leave things hanging. 

The DA has Mac, Voidus, the Stranger and Aylitha. That combination can kill all the conquerors in roughly three seconds. 

1 hour ago, kenod said:

The DA has Mac, Voidus, the Stranger and Aylitha. That combination can kill all the conquerors in roughly three seconds. 

Oh definitely, though that does mean the group currently trying to kill them won't get to. I don't really care though :P

4 minutes ago, AonEne said:

Oh definitely, though that does mean the group currently trying to kill them won't get to. I don't really care though :P

True, and I have to admit I'd rather prefer to deal with them in a different way, given that a number of my characters are fighting them too (including, weirdly enough, Aylitha). At the moment it seems like it will take to long to actually finish the fights though, especially since Ark has been offline for a few days now (or at least doesn't have enough time to write large write-ups).

I would care, as I'm trying to kill of my character in a cool and dramatic way fighting a conqueror which as far as I can tell were made so us non god entities could actually fight something during the boss fight, I would not like it if they were destroyed by a bunch of god entities.

In other words, what Kenod just said.

Ps. In this context, god entity refers to anything that bypasses, or ignores, the point system.

I agree with Ark, and Silva. Though, I would like to point one thing out to you Silva; We don't really have normal univested individuals, we have univested individuals, in insane circumstances, or with incredible skill. Just pointing this out.