The Chat Thread

Archer

Closing off the previous poll.

Poll: Era Prep
Results:

Spoiler

1. What content should be available in the Alleyverse?
All of Brandon's books (Cosmere, Non-Cosmere, WoT, etc.) = 22
Cosmere books  = 13
40K  = 10
Brandon's published and non-anthology books  = 8
Custom Alleyverse content (Our own worldbuilding)  = 19
Other (Please specify or PM a mod if you wish to remain anonymous)  = 2

2. What level of strength should player characters be next era?
Same as current  = 13
Stronger than current  = 8
Weaker than current  = 2
UNLIMITED POWER!! (No character power limits)  = 2

Consensus here seems to be to basically keep using what we've always used, however 40K did not manage to get a majority vote in favour so that may be something we want to discuss.

New poll will be up soon regarding plot for next era.

2 minutes ago, AonEne said:

So, with the poll closed, I'm allowed to create a poltergeist character, correct?

We'll need to work out the scoring for them, but at least from an existential perspective they should be okay.

All right, fantastic.

So of course nobody has to answer this right now, think about it, talk about it in the mod PM, whatever you need, but is the poltergeist point count on the Index going to remain 800?

43 minutes ago, AonEne said:

All right, fantastic.

So of course nobody has to answer this right now, think about it, talk about it in the mod PM, whatever you need, but is the poltergeist point count on the Index going to remain 800?

The poltergeist point count will remain at 800, with the caveat that it is 500 if you only promise to take control of your characters/NPC's. 

The issue is that the body switching gives you immortality, in addition to being able to give you tons of lives in a fight, finally it basically gives you the abilities of a kandra, without any of the weaknesses. That combination of powers is incredibly OP.

Just now, MacThorstenson said:

The poltergeist point count will remain at 800, with the caveat that it is 500 if you only promise to take control of your characters/NPC's.

Or if other people specifically give me permission?

1 minute ago, MacThorstenson said:

The issue is that the body switching gives you immortality, in addition to being able to give you tons of lives in a fight, finally it basically gives you the abilities of a kandra, without any of the weaknesses. That combination of powers is incredibly OP.

That's very fair. I'll have to think of some awesome weaknesses, clearly. Thanks, guys!

1: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2: I was wondering if I could use The Tattered One in a CD, non combative role, as an npc. He’s instrumental in the side plot Ark and I are cooking up, and I do have a way to retcon him into the power scale, for and after FB’s plot. He would only show up in phone calls, videos, or as an NPC to converse with his allies, and would never, without the express Vincent of everyone involved, and most likely a brief poll, actually be involved in combat. So, can I do this? Note: his character has significantly changed, he is now much less homicidal, and is worshiping a different god that only he can hear.

18 minutes ago, Darth Woodrack said:

without the express Vincent of everyone involved

Here, have my Vincent. I don't want him anymore. I'll even mail him express!

Vincent: :(

(I assume you meant consent? :P)

Also, what's the screaming for?

Edited by AonEne
I like to question screaming when it happens

19 minutes ago, AonEne said:

Here, have my Vincent. I don't want him anymore. I'll even mail him express!

Vincent: :(

(I assume you meant consent? :P)

Also, what's the screaming for?

I did mean consent. I have no idea why my phone thought it was Vincent.

Warhammer lost.

Ah good, a pole that won’t cause a ten page long heated debate.

So, I've been thinking about it for a few days now, and I have some thoughts on the future of the Black Crusade.

Firstly, refluffing them to be Radiants or Epics isn't a terrible idea. I particurally like the idea of Teutonic Radiant knights. But it has problems. Namely, that such a move would require huge amounts of retconning. The technology and lore of Warhammer were instrumental in multiple big plots, from the Seven Day War, to the leveling of the original Alleycity,  to the attacks on the Waystop. I don't think fundamentally changing that is a good option. 

But I think making more character items have direct analogues to Sanderson magic is a good idea. It wouldn't even be that hard- power armor functions like Shardplate, power weapons and relics work like Shardblades, and guns are, well guns. (Typing this gives me deja vu, for some reason.) I'd just have to revise my old points values and add more options.

8 minutes ago, Grey Knight said:

Firstly, refluffing them to be Radiants or Epics isn't a terrible idea. I particurally like the idea of Teutonic Radiant knights. But it has problems. Namely, that such a move would require huge amounts of retconning. The technology and lore of Warhammer were instrumental in multiple big plots, from the Seven Day War, to the leveling of the original Alleycity,  to the attacks on the Waystop. I don't think fundamentally changing that is a good option. 

So I have a potential solution to this. The world is about to go through an alternate shift. What if this re-working of the Marines occurs during the shift, and then is simply kept from Era 5 onward? The past would still be able to stay as it was and be relevant, no retconning required. It could stay as it was and everyone would remember it. But going forward they could be something that is more in line with the Sanderson theme of the rp. This shift is an excellent time to be able to finesse something like this without it seeming absurd. 

24 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

So I have a potential solution to this. The world is about to go through an alternate shift. What if this re-working of the Marines occurs during the shift, and then is simply kept from Era 5 onward? The past would still be able to stay as it was and be relevant, no retconning required. It could stay as it was and everyone would remember it. But going forward they could be something that is more in line with the Sanderson theme of the rp. This shift is an excellent time to be able to finesse something like this without it seeming absurd. 

That's a good solution, yeah.

And it opens up excellent plot opportunities for when some actual space marines come back from one of the other solar systems, utterly confused as to what the heck is going on :D