The Chat Thread

Archer

Just now, MacThorstenson said:

I object to this. The DA are clearly the friends of the people. In any alleyway in the city you can stroll right in and leave with magic powers. TUBA doesn’t do that. 

Ah, apologies, the quotes were meant to indicate derisive sarcasm. I agree wholeheartedly. 

The DA has infinitely more soul than TUBA ever will.

Drat. Another era before my totally planned character can be used. Hecking frickfracksnicksnackpaddywhacktictacapplejackcrackerjackrollbackcomputerhackquarterbackbiofeedbacksticklebackdiamondbackleatherbacksteeplejackflankerbackcounterattackantikickbackmultitracksilverbacksmokestackgunnysackpaperback.

I have a complaint with the fact that 40K is on the poll again. We already had this discussion last era, it's gonna be tiresome if it comes up every era.

Also, I argue that it's similar to how we can't tone down the DA. It's longstanding lore. Sure get rid of phykers (spelling correct?) and that, but keep space and chaos marines (or as I accidentally called them in a conversation, spaos marines). There's at least two people with space marine characters, and they're established lore.

48 minutes ago, RayOfSunshine said:

I have a complaint with the fact that 40K is on the poll again. We already had this discussion last era, it's gonna be tiresome if it comes up every era.

Also, I argue that it's similar to how we can't tone down the DA. It's longstanding lore. Sure get rid of phykers (spelling correct?) and that, but keep space and chaos marines (or as I accidentally called them in a conversation, spaos marines). There's at least two people with space marine characters, and they're established lore.

Of course; but much like how we decided to stop using Aon Tia cards, we can decide to limit certain aspects of the RP if everyone agrees. (Or not, as we decided with the DA. We’ll see.)

The fact that it keeps coming up means that there is still contention around it. There’s no reason to artificially restrict conversation just because we talked about it last time. 

Ark, it’s Psyker’s.

10 hours ago, MetaTerminal said:

Of course; but much like how we decided to stop using Aon Tia cards, we can decide to limit certain aspects of the RP if everyone agrees. (Or not, as we decided with the DA. We’ll see.)

The fact that it keeps coming up means that there is still contention around it. There’s no reason to artificially restrict conversation just because we talked about it last time. 

Ark’s not saying that we shouldn’t limit portions of the lore, in fact, he specifically said, to get rid of the psykers. He is simply arguing that since spaos marines are an established part of the lore, that have been around since era one, they should be kept in the rp. He is also stating, that those of us who were there when this came up before, agreed that the Black Crusade should remain, even giving them an exception to the NPCs rule, that it is now annoying that they are being put up in another poll. The same way that the original rod decided to have the Dark Alley, which led to a guild that is so over powered that the rest of the guilds only are able to do anything because they allow it, we agreed to keep WH40K, as it is an integral part of the rp, from the Seven Day War, which I narrowly missed, to the Battle of the Den, which was mainly me, to the Rift Saga, the Black Crusade, with there space marines, have changed the rp, and they cannot be removed.

Edited by Darth Woodrack

Given that they're currently sitting on the lowest amount of votes I'd say that putting them in as an option isn't a trivial thing. Not everyone has been around for every era and had a chance to vote previously, that doesn't mean they shouldn't get a say in what happens in the RP.

In addition I'd question whether answering a poll (Which you don't have to answer at all if you don't want to) once every 6 months is really so onerous a task as to warrant complaint. I imagine writing that post took longer than actually selecting an answer would have.

Being an established part of lore does not necessarily mean something would have to remain playable and significant for all future eras either, retconning is not necessarily the only way to resolve the issue if we as a community do decide not to continue to include 40K worldbuilding in the future of the RP.

Maybe we could simply make a moratorium on new characters using all this WHK40(??) stuff. I am of the opinion that trying to jam another author's magic system suite into this rp only leads to confusion, but the point about lasting effects in established canon is valid. Instead of trying to somehow unknit them from the world or the AV lore, maybe we just limit them to what they are now, no new people using them, and if those space marine characters are killed or retired then perhaps we can discuss phasing out the whole thing at a later date.

Zinc: as a temporary solution to the debate, so we can move on, that seems like a good idea. As long as it is temporary. As in, we either phase them out later, or open them back up.

Voidus: By that logic, many of these people weren’t around when the DA became gods. Why aren’t we voting on that?

11 minutes ago, Darth Woodrack said:

Voidus: By that logic, many of these people weren’t around when the DA became gods. Why aren’t we voting on that?

Very simple reason: No one has asked to.
If there was a section of the community that took issue with it then we would, though that's also a little more foundational to the Alleyverse than 40K is, given that it's the source of the RP's name and all, removing it would be somewhat more difficult. But if that's what the community wanted to do then we could have a conversation about it certainly.

I agree with Zinc. Established characters should remain, but for now, no new characters should be created. Maybe those with an 40k character, can offer an explanation of the technology they are using. Like Grey once told me ,that their place basically works like Shardplate here. If we create these equivalents, then even those without knowledge about the 40k lore could easily grasp their abilities.

As we're also voting about the strength of characters: is there some kind of progress regarding the "character advancement" question in general?

5 minutes ago, Sorana said:

As we're also voting about the strength of characters: is there some kind of progress regarding the "character advancement" question in general?

A little. It'll definitely be implemented in some fashion, we're just trying to work out where exactly we draw the line for when a character should be able to advance and by how much.

52 minutes ago, Darth Woodrack said:

when the DA became gods.

Honestly I find this assertion to be a bit unfair. The vast majority of active DA characters fit within the 150 point limit, have actual limitations/weaknesses, and don't simply stroll through the rp with no issues, obliterating plot lines and doing whatever they please. They can (and do) get hurt, run, hide, experience pain, struggle and exist to further the storyline instead of waylay it. If people have qualms about a select few characters then that's one thing, but the entire DA is hardly a giant cabal of demigods who get to skirt any and all consequence.

While that is true about the majority of the people there is the fact that they have Voidus, the Stranger, and I don’t even know how many god entities in the group. There is also the fact that the organization itself, through sheer numbers, countless hemalurgic abominations, and all of the other stuff the DA has, that essentially, the DA could do whatever they want. I do want to address this, but I think it can wait until the aftermaths of Fate Breakers plot.

I have a simple question about Zinc’s proposal; NPCs? What would happen to them?

I, personally, am totally fine with the DA as it is. Yes they are strong, but most settings have some stronger entities, and those that rp the few stronger characters do that in a way, it doesn't impede on anybody else. I like that there is a force able to defeat all others, that there is a subtle threat. It adds a lot to the setting, and makes it way more interesting.

DA aside, with Fatebreakers planed plot, we can always discuss this at another time.

Are there any other ideas regarding the next main plot?

2 minutes ago, Darth Woodrack said:

While that is true about the majority of the people there is the fact that they have Voidus, the Stranger, and I don’t even know how many god entities in the group. There is also the fact that the organization itself, through sheer numbers, countless hemalurgic abominations, and all of the other stuff the DA has, that essentially, the DA could do whatever they want. I do want to address this, but I think it can wait until the aftermaths of Fate Breakers plot.

The emphasis there should be on the word could. Yes, the DA could do whatever they want. If they were going to do that, though, they already would have. As it stands, there's some solid restraint there and no real power flexing unless needed, and when the big guns do come out, it's only after a good bit of talk about if it's actually needed. Trying to curtail what anyone could do (before they do it in a way that needs to be limited) is useless and just adds a ton of red tape to doing anything that drastically reduces how much fun certain things can be.

6 minutes ago, Darth Woodrack said:

I have a simple question about Zinc’s proposal; NPCs? What would happen to them?

What does it really matter? They're NPCs. 

Also, unrelated to anything else other than my own realization I forgot to do something earlier, I'm a fan of keeping the AV to Sanderson stuff pretty much only, or it'll get too chaotic, though if we do end up adding some more things, I have ideas for that.