The Chat Thread

Archer

5 minutes ago, PrinceDusty said:

Gah I have been not posting for ages(I've still been online though) because I was going to save my 100th post for my 1st theory but I screwed that up :/ so hey I'm back I'll jump into Well of Descension tonight

I bet I'll use my number 1000 without even noticing....

We could do that.

But one of the common side affects of handwavium is that it makes my head hurt to see all these rules broken. And we are already breaking so many of them.

Regardless, if one were to have kinetic investiture, they could recharge the sand using that. Now, I'm not entirely sure what constitutes kinetic investiture, but they say its investiture that is currently being used. I believe that if I were to awaken a pile of sand with a useless command, that the sand would absorb that and recharge, or if I set glowing spheres into a pile of used sand that they would absorb the stormlight being leaked.

Nah, I think im good now.

I have the Wobs to back it up. https://wob.coppermind.net/events/324-emerald-city-comic-con-2018/#e9288.

This one says that the investiture would recharge the sand, making it white again, though the investiture would need to be kinetic, as various other Wobs mention that the sand only reacts to kinetic investiture.

oh ok, wasn't it also mentioned before that all the places in all the books exist inside the Alleyverse? Maybe that's outdated information since that was before the map, but the sun that's above the Alleyverse could very well have the same recharging properties (and while I haven't read White Sand, I don't see why it would be specific to Taldain's sun unless it's actually been stated that the sun's light was Invested by a shard)

Yeah, it is stated that the sun is invested and that's why the sand gets recharged by that specific sun.

I've always thought that the alleyverse was a kind of, in between place. Thats how we are able to access the Dor, and have spren bonds and the such. But that breaks down when there is a specifc place in the Cosmere that is responsible for something, like taladins sun. Because we dont share the same sky as the cosmere, we don't have any light from that sun reaching us.

I haven't read White Sand (I have the prose downloaded, but it's low on my To Read list) but I trust that Mac knows what he's talking about. The same issue applies to the Dor, we shouldn't be able to use Aons this far from Elantris. 

In practice, we've avoided acknowledging these restrictions. Even our stormlight consumption is higher than should be possible to sustain this far from Roshar. I like the Alleystorm as an explanation for this. 

I'm a fan of following the rules of a magic system as closely as is possible without restricting the flow of the RP too much. It provides a fair playing field, prevents confusion, avoids OP actions etc. And it follows the 'build on what you've got before adding new stuff' rule. But some systems' biggest restriction, the thing that makes them interesting, is geographically or resource connected. 

Case study: aluminum. In the books, Scadrial has developed some technologies at a different rate than Earth did. This was because their magic made it too easy to get by without innovating. Their weakness is this stunted development. But when Earth is thrown into the mix, some resources become easy to obtain. Aluminum, for example. This changes the dynamic, making it so Alleyverse interactions are different from one you'd find in the cosmere. 

That's what gives this RP so much potential. I'd caution us not to abuse this potential, but I think it ought to be explored. 

Back to the sand mastery thing. We've made the exception for the aons, it seems only fair to do the same for sand mastery. I too dislike too much handwavium, so I'd recommend inventing am explanation that means the rules aren't broken, just expanded on. Even if that explanation is just the presence of a Shard in the Alleyverse, or the influence of the worldspike. So long as we come to some concensus on it. 

Spitballing here, we could alter the properties of Alleyverse sand. Make it so some sand on the Alleyplanet doesn't have the same restrictions as sand on Taldain. I'm not sure how the mechanics of that would work though. 

Those are my thoughts on the topic. This is certainly a conversation worth having, so I'm pleased to see the fruitful discourse that's happening. 

I didn't realize about the Alleystorm. I had thought it was like a one time occurrence during the 7 day war, and hadn't happened again. If its actually weekly, then that could also work. I'm tempted to go for that, since I have no idea how much investiture it would take to recharge sand on account of brandon not having figured out a system of measurement for investiture. Like, how many breaths would it take to recharge sand, or how much stormlight, how much feruchemic charge, etc.

As for the Dor, I believe I actually have way that that could work. The Craftsmen base is in the shape of a Aon Rao, which similarly to elantris, is a giant power booster for Aons. and we know from SH that 

Spoiler

the IRE have access to the dor through weird tubes in the CR.

I assumed that Mack had set up a system where one of those things takes the Dor to the Base, where it is amplified by the Aon Rao.

Though I still haven't figured out how the Dor even works, because we don't have it completely filling the CR. Access to the CR and using the Dor are mutually exclusive, but I think i will figure out a way it could work soon.

Hello everyone! I'm officially joining the alleyverse. I've started in the Well of Decension thread. I think some sort of energy well tied to the Worldspike that lets out a pulse could be how sand is recharged here. If we are keeping the Alleystorm it should probably be significantly reduced in intensity. A starting point should also probably be determined, although it might spread out from that central point to everywhere in the alleyverse.

Edit: Is the whole alleyverse closer to the cognitive? Because it seems elsecallers travel between both realms fairly easily.

Edited by xinoehp512

Welcome to the alleyverse! We are glad to have another homeless with us. 

As to the world spike, I’m not sure how that would work, on account of it literally being a giant hemalurgic spike. Now maybe, if we made it in a constant state of hemalurgic decay, then it could charge from the “radiation” from the decaying chunk of the spirit web. But if that happened, then the entirety of the alleyverse should be constantly losing stability and falling apart.

I think the alleystorm is the best bet, and just saying that it can recharge sand is the best option.

I think that I will also use the method of manually charging the sand with kinetic investiture a few times, if no one is opposed to it. The reason why I want this sorted out is because I’m going to make a new character, who is a sand master. He’s not going to do much though mostly sit around and make a sand garden. 

23 hours ago, Archer said:

worldspike

...Wait, I havent actually done anything in the alleyverse yet (other than have a character)... Is a worldspike, like, Hemalurgy on the world level?... Or a spike into the worldspire?

Anyway, I am not sure how I am supposed to get started, but I would love to join this as well.

3 hours ago, Furamirionind said:

...Wait, I havent actually done anything in the alleyverse yet (other than have a character)... Is a worldspike, like, Hemalurgy on the world level?... Or a spike into the worldspire?

Anyway, I am not sure how I am supposed to get started, but I would love to join this as well.

Essentially it is. Its a spike that holds the trait of being a stable universe. We, (the DA) took it from another universe, and made the alleyverse out of it. It bears no relation to the worldspire.

In order to get in, I would suggest just reading the pinned threads, then creating a charcater and posting it on that thread, then jumping into on of the RP threads.

5 minutes ago, MacThorstenson said:

Essentially it is. Its a spike that holds the trait of being a stable universe. We, (the DA) took it from another universe, and made the alleyverse out of it. It bears no relation to the worldspire.

In order to get in, I would suggest just reading the pinned threads, then creating a charcater and posting it on that thread, then jumping into on of the RP threads.

Cool.

...I have read the threads, and created a charecter (sent it to archer etc.).  I just havent done any of the actual role playing yet. : )