The Chat Thread

Archer

On 4/3/2022 at 3:51 PM, mathiau said:

Let be me more clear as to what I want to know: I have a potential character who's a Willshaper who wants to prove herself to the world and to herself. Can you give me reasons she'd want to join your guild?

well the STE has a large amount of info. we have influence around the city I guess. we have nice connections with power maybe. um. SPIKES!

17 minutes ago, Emery the Windrunner said:

Hi, can I join? I’ve never really done one of these before.

Of course you can! There’s a guide for new folks pinned close to the top of the forum, that should help you get started! Then the next step is character creation. If you have any questions please do ask! We love welcoming new people.

2 hours ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

is it possible for me to have a mind controlling antagonist? 

In general, no mind controlling other people’s characters without their permission. We’ve had a mind-altering Epic before as a villain, but the key thing there (and for all OP villains) is for everyone to trust that the villain is going to be used as a plot device more so than a character. Meaning, 1) they have some sort of weakness, and 2) is used to challenge the protagonists, but is built knowing in mind they will eventually be defeated by the protagonists.

If that trust is there, people are more willing to let their characters go through mental shennagins for the sake of the plot, but even then, full on ‘I control your character now’ removes them from the RP, so you’re better off with something where they still have character agency (like memory changing) and something they can (somewhat) try and resist.

I think your best bet (if you don’t want to have ask permission each time). Is some sort of powerful Soother/Rioter or an Epic with some sort of ‘aura’ of emotional influence. Of course, the exchange here is that characters can resist against them (which can make for good RP) and can take precautions (eg. Aluminium headwear). But then that goes for all powers.

Edited by I think I am here.

6 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

In general, no mind controlling other people’s characters without their permission. We’ve had a mind-altering Epic before as a villain, but the key thing there (and for all OP villains) is for everyone to trust that the villain is going to be used as a plot device more so than a character. Meaning, 1) they have some sort of weakness, and 2) is used to challenge the protagonists, but is built knowing in mind they will eventually be defeated by the protagonists.

If that trust is there, people are more willing to let their characters go through mental shennagins for the sake of the plot, but even then, full on ‘I control your character now’ removes them from the RP, so you’re better off with something where they still have character agency (like memory changing) and something they can (somewhat) try and resist.

I think your best bet (if you don’t want to have ask permission each time). Is some sort of powerful Soother/Rioter or an Epic with some sort of ‘aura’ of emotional influence. Of course, the exchange here is that characters can resist against them (which can make for good RP) and can take precautions (eg. Aluminium headwear). But then that goes for all powers.

well they would more be an antagonist only to my character, possibly on others depending if my character gets others to help him.

18 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

well they would more be an antagonist only to my character, possibly on others depending if my character gets others to help him.

Ah, gotcha. In that case, if he isn’t going against anyone but your own character, then it should be fine. So he’s like a special NPC?

I do have to say though, I don’t know how you plan on executing this idea, but from my experience RPing your own character’s arch nemesis sort of difficult because it almost closes you off from other interactions with others (I tried doing it once with one of my characters and the result was very… eh).

Still though, if the villain’s only really going to affect your character, unless other people ‘opt-in’ to fight them, then it should be fine. I think.

Edited by I think I am here.
*insert Mark Twain’s quote about wishing he had the time to write a shorter letter here*

1 minute ago, I think I am here. said:

Ah, gotcha. In that case, if he isn’t going against anyone but your own character, then it should be fine. So he’s like a special NPC?

I do have to say though, I don’t know how you plan on executing this idea, but from my experience RPing your own character’s arch nemesis sort of difficult because it almost closes you off from other interactions with others (I tried doing it once with one of my characters and the result was very… eh).

Still though, if the villain’s only really going to affect your character, unless other people ‘opt-in’ to fight them, then it should be fine. I think.

yeah, that's pretty much it. the villain... the villain is going to be awesome.

1 hour ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

hmm, what about being able to do something like Voldemort did to ginny in the chamber of secrets, where they were manipulating and then taking memories. and can give the memories back whenever they want?

You have largely described the current plot lol XD

I realize this is a broken record but would we all like to discuss the possibility of a time skip once the current ongoing scenes wrap? I think getting it nailed down before they wrap would make the most sense because it will certainly take us a bit to decide on the time skipped. I propose a week, but I’m not married to it. Any thoughts? @Voidus @Fatebreaker @18th Shard @mathiau and anyone else with ongoing scenes?

21 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

I realize this is a broken record but would we all like to discuss the possibility of a time skip once the current ongoing scenes wrap? I think getting it nailed down before they wrap would make the most sense because it will certainly take us a bit to decide on the time skipped. I propose a week, but I’m not married to it. Any thoughts? @Voidus @Fatebreaker @18th Shard @mathiau and anyone else with ongoing scenes?

Week sounds good to me.

also the character I was talking about before would also affect random npcs. they would mainly be aimed at Darien though. I really want to tell you guys my plans, but then I don't because I know you guys are gonna love the way it will go, and I think you guys would appreciate it being a pleasant surprise.

23 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Sounds good. I just wrote a post to hopefully get Aln and Folorian out of the hospital, so we can wrap that up. @mathiau what do you want to have them do during the timeskip?

3 hours ago, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

any advice on where to start posting?

Hmm, there are a few people in Mac’s Boarding House, that could be someplace to start. It also depends if you want to go off the idea that your character has just arrived in the AV or has been here a while. That will help to decide where to jump in.

Edited by ZincAboutIt