Where Did Toh Go?

Child of Hodor

What happened to Evi’s brother Toh? The Coppermind article on him doesn’t say. https://coppermind.net/wiki/Toh

He drops out of the story after Evi and Dalinar get married. They were on the run seeking asylum, I would think he’d stay in Alethkar to take advantage of that protection. I doubt he’d just move back home.

I’m not thinking he’s secretly important and we never learn anything about Dalinar’s other relatives like his parents, but I just find it odd he was introduced and then disappeared. He never visited his nephews nor does he get a cursory mention as far as I can find.

My wild theory is that the Iriali queen is accusing Dalinar of theft because Toh went and told the Iriali that Dalinar was given shards in exchange for protecting Evi and he got her killed. 

Edited by Child of Hodor

I think naming him ‘Obligation’ even if a large number of readers never get it is kind of awesome. After all, he and Evi were seeking an alliance that would obligate Dalinar and Co. To provide support and defense..

A sort of nod to all of the fans who stuck with WoT for 20 years. 

15 hours ago, IllNsickly said:

I think naming him ‘Obligation’ even if a large number of readers never get it is kind of awesome. After all, he and Evi were seeking an alliance that would obligate Dalinar and Co. To provide support and defense..

A sort of nod to all of the fans who stuck with WoT for 20 years. 

I wouldn't say he has toh towards anyone though, at least not that we know of.

10 minutes ago, What's a Seawolf? said:

Wherever he is, I'm sure Dalinar is going to publicly reveal what really happened to Evi.

Which will bring Toh back into the story as a very angry brother-in-law.

Dalinar heavily implies that he'll lay bare his whole life in the meandering preface to his autobiography which is parceled out in the epigraphs. Him causing her death is his main reason for going to the Nightwatcher. Would be a huge omission. 

Btw, is Dalinar's preface the worst Cosmere epigraphs? I love the Chapter 2 epigraph "I needed to write it anyway", something about it just cuts to the heart for me. Most of it is pointless rephrasing of the same thing and feels like padding. Reading it all at once it really hits me: he is using a lot of words to say nothing. 

Oathbringer has more chapters than any of the other books, so not all the epigraphs can be winners and Dalinar DID just learn how to read and write so I don't want to be too hard on the guy :)https://coppermind.net/wiki/Oathbringer/Epigraphs

11 minutes ago, Child of Hodor said:

Dalinar DID just learn how to read and write

This is an important thing though. Spoken and written text are very different, in particular with spoken text repeating itself a lot more. If you've never written or read a word in your life this might very well be the result.

• Chaos locked this topic