Cosmere Colosseum: Szeth vs The Lord Ruler (Spoilers)

COSMERE COLOSSEUM  

57 members have voted

1. 1. If Szeth were ordered to assassinate the Lord Ruler, could he succeed?

Warning: Mistborn and Words of Radiance spoilers.

Ladies and gentlemen, sticks and stones of all ages! Welcome to the Cosmere Colosseum, the topic channel where we debate as to the martial skills of characters from Brandon Sanderson's work.

For our first ever episode, I chose a pair of combatants whose power is unmatched on their respective worlds--Szeth-son-son-Vallano and Rashek, the Lord Ruler of the Final Empire.

I believe these two have been matched in fan debates before, but not recently. It's time for a fair poll to determine which of these two legendary fighters will survive their confrontation.

As a refresher:

Szeth-son-son-Vallano is equipped with Jezrien's Honorblade, a weapon with all the destructive finesse of the average Shardblade combined with the trait of granting the powers of the Windrunners to its wielder. Szeth is an extremely skilled and cunning fighter, trained in Lashing, swordsplay, and the Shin martial art of kammar.

The Lord Ruler is the Sliver of Infinity himself, a Mistborn and full Feruchemist whose extreme power led to his worship as a deity on Scadrial. He is capable of Compounding every metal, and has had centuries to perfect his awesome skill.

Following in the footsteps of EMTrevor with his amazing Monster Melee thread, I will be writing a brief description of the battle once enough votes have come in.

Who will prevail? Cast your votes on the poll above!

TLR. I made a few mathematical calculations that I think are fairly conclusive.

Compounded Health+Pewter= Tanks through all attacks

Compounded Speed+Pewter+Tin= Dodges all the rest

Compounded Speed's momentum+Compounded Strength+Compounded Weight+ Reverse Compounded Pewter = Szeth-squishing Punches of Death

Reverse Compounded Soothing+Reverse Compounded Rioting= Szeth scared to death

Reverse Compounded Steel/Iron+Duralumin+Feruchemical nicrosil=Pushing on Shardblade like a boss

TLR. I made a few mathematical calculations that I think are fairly conclusive.

Compounded Health+Pewter= Tanks through all attacks

Compounded Speed+Pewter+Tin= Dodges all the rest

Compounded Speed's momentum+Compounded Strength+Compounded Weight+ Reverse Compounded Pewter = Szeth-squishing Punches of Death

Reverse Compounded Soothing+Reverse Compounded Rioting= Szeth scared to death

Reverse Compounded Steel/Iron+Duralumin+Feruchemical nicrosil=Pushing on Shardblade like a boss

I doubt he could tank through all attacks. If Szeth's Honorblade touches the spine, not even the TLR could survive.

Well, if we consider the end of WoR, Szeth has Nightblood and (possibly) the powers of a Skybreaker, including the Gravitation Powers. Wielding Nightblood, he may be somewhat weak as he may not be able to Surgebind as well (Nightblood will consume his Investiture). So Lord Ruler, with all Allomantic powers as well as Feruchemic ones, basically wins out.

And if there is ever a Cosmere Coliseum thread putting a koloss against something else, it needs to be called Cosmere Kolosseum.

Do both characters know each other's abilities? If TLR underestimates Szeth, a Shardblade to the spine would kill him instantly.

We will say that neither knows all the specifics, but each knows the other is a powerful force. TLR saw Szeth killing guards with the Honorblade and Lashing, Szeth watched TLR kill Kelsier in front of the crowd.

I doubt he could tank through all attacks. If Szeth's Honorblade touches the spine, not even the TLR could survive.

Depends on how high the cut is and where his metalminds are. If he cuts the lower spine and his metalminds are on his upper torso, his arms, or his head, I think he could heal fast enough to get it before it reaches the head. But yeah, technically not all wounds, but all the ones that are likely to hit him. With Compounded Speed, it should be incredibly difficult to even graze him. Edited by PorridgeBrick

Not really a match. As long as the lord ruler takes it seriously, he wins easily. szeths only chance is to get in a quick one hit kill at the neck/high spine before TLR gets serious.

Szeth vs either Kelsier or Vin with atium, that would be a funnier fight:)

Szeth vs either Kelsier or Vin with atium, that would be a funnier fight:)

I thought of that. I wanted to start big though... maybe in a future episode. :)

Though so far Szeth is taking a beating in the poll. I guess TLR is just so monumentally overpowered that no one has a chance against him. Well, no one besides Hoid, of course.

I also wouldn't be surprised if TLR's metalminds were invested enough to be able to deflect the Honorblade. He's had centuries to store up his attributes, even without being able to compound the abilities, a fully prepared feruchemist could tap enough speed and strength to end the fight before it even begins. I'd have to assume that an invested Szeth is somewhere around a mistborn/thug in terms of speed and reaction times, and the Steel Inquisitors gave Vin trouble without having much time at all to store speed, so having gone centuries without often having to use his reserves, I doubt TLR would need to use anything other than speed and strength to end the battle. The only way I could see Szeth prevailing is if he accidentally hit the Atium bracers, and even that is questionable considering they're god metals and would be even more invested than the rest of his metalminds. 

It might be different if Szeth had NB but in his pre WoR state he dosen´r really stand a chance. In the scenario you gave us the Lord Ruler knows that the blade is bad news, so he would just push it away and with Investure/Nicrosil-compounding he most certainly has enough power to do so. He then has 10 heartbeats to kill Szeth. What can Szeth do to survive?

Lash something towards TLR: Nope, he will just heal.

Lashing himself away (runing away): storing weight plus compounding speed and strenght equals TLR just jumping to Szeth and smashing his head.

Lashing TLR or using his martial-arts: gets himself into range to be killed by someone so fast he can´t evade. (Btw. I wonder if Feruchemical nicrosil can absorb the Lashings. My guess is no, because the Investure is external, but I might as well throw it out here.)

This isn´t even adding in some of the other stuff TLR can do.

TLR just has to Push or Pull on some of the iron in Szeth's blood (or other trace metals elsewhere in Szeth's body) and Szeth dies. Stormlight healing is powerful, but can it heal Szeth when his brain is being smashed one way and his neck yanked the other? Also, all of Szeth's offensive powers require him to get within melee range. TLR can use Allomantic steel to hold him off, then fire a series of coins at him (while tapping Feruchemical chromium to make them more deadly). Szeth might heal, but his Stormlight will eventually run out, and then he dies.

This is a joke.. lets make real matches.. Lord Ruler would crush him- he also has access to all the atium. Any mistborn with enough atium could crush anyone from Roshar.. Try Roaden vs Szeth... Or Vasher vs. Eshonia (now thats gonna be a badass fight)

Well if everyone feels that way I could change the combatants for the first match. I was thinking there might be more of an argument in Szeth's favor but clearly this isn't much a contest in terms of sheer voting.

This is a joke.. lets make real matches.. Lord Ruler would crush him- he also has access to all the atium. Any mistborn with enough atium could crush anyone from Roshar.. Try Roaden vs Szeth... Or Vasher vs. Eshonia (now thats gonna be a badass fight)

For any cage match, I think it should be kinda assumed that neither side has Atium. If you allow Atium, you might as well allow Lerasium too, and then you have Szeth the mistborn.

Fly into the sky and hope the LR doesn't any metal to fly with?

Sure, Szeth can get away easily, but he can't really do anything from there. Anything he lashes at TLR, he can dodge easily or simply tank through. And Szeth's stormlight usage is very inefficient, so TLR can literally just wait, maybe keeping up with Compounded Speed on the ground. But he definitely shouldn't fly after him: all Mistborn have very dedicated, predictable flight arcs compared to a Windrunner, and his Compounded speed means nothing up in the air. If he flies after Szeth he's a sitting duck.

I thought of that. I wanted to start big though... maybe in a future episode. :)

Try replacing Szeth with a full-on Radiant Windrunner or Stoneward– shapeshifting Blade, Plate, and all. That might fare a little better, though TLR is still OP. Edited by PorridgeBrick

I would assume Gold does not heal spirtual wounds- because you are not storing spritual health (only physcial) since thats whats specified. But im sure there is a hack to every system.. Either if Mistborn was fighting with atium Szeth would need to coat himslef in aluminum armor and weapondry than maybe he could stand a chance (hack to win)

KURKISTAN ()

Does a limb that has been "severed" by a Shardblade have any Hemalurgic bindpoints? If the same limb was then cut off more conventionally, would a Bloodmaker ferring be able to grow it back?

BRANDON SANDERSON

A severed Shardblade limb needs repair to the soul before it would function again. A Bloodmaker would be able to heal it without needing to grow it back.

Feruchemical gold does indeed heal the soul.

Gold Feruchemy does heal shardblade wounds:

Kurkistan

Does a limb that has been "severed" by a Shardblade have any Hemalurgic bindpoints? If the same limb was then cut off more conventionally, would a Bloodmaker ferring be able to grow it back?

Brandon Sanderson

A severed Shardblade limb needs repair to the soul before it would function again. A Bloodmaker would be able to heal it without needing to grow it back.

(source)

Edit: Ninja'd! Though I did provide the source link...

Edited by WeiryWriter

With atium, TLR is going to win, since he can see anything Szeth would try.  Also, doesn't gold heal spiritual wounds too?

It does, but if Szeth hits the spine TLR's going down no matter what healing he uses. Can't tap metalminds when you're already dead.