Theory: Stormlight, the Key to better Hemalurgy

Fatebreaker

Spoilers for SA and Mistborn series.

So I was doing a reread of the SA when I read the scene where Kaladin heals from a shard blade wound during his fight with Szeth. Now we know that the Shardblade severs the connection on the Spiritual level, doing no physical damage. However, Kaladin, thanks to his Nahael bond and some handy dandy Stormlight, is able to fully heal from the wound. This implies that he was able to repair his Spiritweb.

Now this is old news, but it got me thinking. Hemalurgy is essentially an unwilling organ donor process, but with the Spiritweb. The one major flaw (at least according to some) is that the donor normally does not survive the process. Ethics aside, this means that anytime you want to grant a hemalurgic ability, it means you have to find another donor. However, if Stormlight can heal the Spiritweb, perhaps it could be used to rehabilitate patients. Have a coin shot with a nahael bond, and you could have your own coin-shot production line. This would be far more efficient than previous attempts at breeding facilities or managing bloodlines. It would require interplanetary travel, but there are tools for that, and I imagine it will get easier once lightspeed technology is further developed. We could be looking at a breakthrough in efficient Hemalurgy [*spoiler]

This may already have been disproven, but the idea came to me and I thought it worth discussing. Feedback is welcome! Is this the Hemalurgic breakthrough we’ve been waiting for? Is this merely another disappointment? I look to the scholars.

Edited by Fatebreaker

Yup, it's confirmed by WOB  that just about any of the cosmere methods of healing spirit damage should work if employed quickly enough to prevent the donor death. 

In the case of Scardial (Era 2 at least)

Spoiler

it would just take a pair of UnSealed Medallions to let you compound Gold.  "Just" is understating how hard it would likely be to get that combo, but it would still be statistically more likely (and less overall complicated) than getting a Non-rosharan native to Bond a Spren. Also, a Radiant with the Progression Surge should be able to heal others of Soul Damage; I tend to think that would be easier to time properly compared to ensuring that the Spike Donor/Victim having the wherewithal to tap his metalminds and heal himself.   

Edited by Quantus

20 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Yup, it's confirmed by WOB  that just about any of the cosmere methods of healing spirit damage should work if employed quickly enough to prevent the donor death. 

In the case of Scardial (Era 2 at least)

Hide contents

it would just take a pair of UnSealed Medallions to let you compound Gold.  "Just" is understating how hard it would likely be to get that combo, but it would still be statistically more likely (and less overall complicated) than getting a Non-rosharan native to Bond a Spren. Also, a Radiant with the Progression Surge should be able to heal others of Soul Damage; I tend to think that would be easier to time properly compared to ensuring that the Spike Donor/Victim having the wherewithal to tap his metalminds and heal himself.   

Ah, yes. I was pretty sure that was possible with Progression, but I wasn’t sure and didn’t have the books with me presently. That would be vastly preferable for running an efficient operation.

48 minutes ago, Fatebreaker said:

Have a coin shot with a nahael bond, and you could have your own coin-shot production line.

This whole access to powers for all thing sounds great, except for the fact you’d have to find people willing to have a spike or spikes shoved into their body, and give up their free will to anyone powerful enough.

13 minutes ago, Argent said:

Topics that span multiple Cosmere series belong to Cosmere Discussion. @Fatebreaker, I've moved this there (I am tagging you just so you see this move).

Ah, got it. Haven’t posted a theory in years, so I was a little fuzzy on the specifics. Thanks!

8 minutes ago, Kal-Eldin said:

This whole access to powers for all thing sounds great, except for the fact you’d have to find people willing to have a spike or spikes shoved into their body, and give up their free will to anyone powerful enough.

It’s now so much about willing as it is available. This is an issue the Inquisition handled already. Participants are encouraged to comply, but not required. It just takes a little more work, not really a huge setback.

6 minutes ago, Fatebreaker said:

It’s now so much about willing as it is available. This is an issue the Inquisition handled already. Participants are encouraged to comply, but not required. It just takes a little more work, not really a huge setback.

But do you really want the people you just abused against their will to have access to investiture? That just seems like a bad idea. 

If you really wanted to mass produce the metallic arts, all you'd need is one volunteer willing to be spiked and someone with the progression surge. Once you've made the volunteer a full born, they can start creating unkeyed full-born medallions, which could then possibly be used by more people to make more medallions, then more, and more.

16 minutes ago, Kal-Eldin said:

That's an issue with the Demand side of the economy, this is all about Supply :D

The donor would be healing the spirit damage so they arent going to be subject to the shardic manipulation.  As far as being willing to actually be on the receiving end of a Spike, there are likely tones of folks that would take the chance in exchange for metallic arts, especially on Scadrial where they only know of the one (fairly benign) Shard, and theres a whole religion full of folks that wear a Spike purely to commune with him.

2 minutes ago, HSuperLee said:

If you really wanted to mass produce the metallic arts, all you'd need is one volunteer willing to be spiked and someone with the progression surge. Once you've made the volunteer a full born, they can start creating unkeyed full-born medallions, which could then possibly be used by more people to make more medallions, then more, and more.

For what it's worth, that would take fully UnSealed medallions, which require an "Excisor" in the process, which we are all hoping is going to severely limit that exact operation.  Because otherwise Nicrosil is narrative-breaking 

1 minute ago, Quantus said:

For what it's worth, that would take fully UnSealed medallions, which require an "Excisor" in the process, which we are all hoping is going to severely limit that exact operation.  Because otherwise Nicrosil is narrative-breaking 

I forgot about that part. I'd say that based on what we've seen of the Southern Scadrians, it seems like they can produce a very large amount of any of the medallions, but my better judgement says that they were a party of explorers and were likely in possession of much more technology and tools than the average person. So I guess I'm not willing to make a guess on how easily the medallions can be mass produced.

I'm pretty sure there's a WoB about repeated spikings creating a sort of spiritual "scar-tissue", but I'm having trouble finding it. Have this similar one instead (spoilered for length)

Spoiler

Kurkistan

So you've said that healing is like the Spiritual wants to heal and then it filters through the Cognitive, but how's that work with healing wounds to the soul like Hemalurgy or Shardblades? What do you refer to to heal the soul at that point?

Brandon Sanderson

You need to make a patch on the soul with Investiture.

Kurkistan

So how's the Investiture know where to go, what to look like?

Brandon Sanderson

Well your soul is an ideal. So if you can get it up there, there are ways to do-- to recreate that with um... See I'm getting into stuff for later books.

Argent

No, that's okay.

Kurkistan

So when Hemalurgy rips something off the soul, is that the ideal soul or some sub-soul?

Brandon Sanderson

That is off of your soul, and it can be healed; but what it's going to be doing is creating a patch of new soul. So it will not be your original soul. Does that make sense?

Kurkistan

Okay, that- well, not completely, but I think that's your intention.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Bystander

If you do that, is that like Frankenstein's monster, or is it like a graft that's absorb--

Brandon Sanderson

Less horrifying- Less horrifying than Frankenstein's monster, but it is a graft that is like-- It is not your original soul.

Bystander

Yeah, but in modern medicine stuff like that is absorbed-

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, in this you will always have a scar on your soul that something else has patched over.

Kurkistan

So Kaladin shouldn't just keep getting his arm chopped?

Brandon Sanderson

*ignoring/not-hearing Kurkistan just now* But that is what happens with most forms of investiture in the first place.

source

5 hours ago, HSuperLee said:

But hemalurgy is better.

• Chaos locked this topic