Moonrise

On 9/20/2018 at 2:21 PM, Briar King said:

I’m fully behind it. If they are doing it we won’t be getting any of that Aong rust or firebenders requiring actual physical flames to ugh bend fire. Remember the creators were pretty unhappy with what MNS was doing to there work. 

I refuse to acknowledge that this movie exists. 

On 9/20/2018 at 3:21 PM, Briar King said:

I’m fully behind it. If they are doing it we won’t be getting any of that Aong rust or firebenders requiring actual physical flames to ugh bend fire. Remember the creators were pretty unhappy with what MNS was doing to there work. 

Now y’all go watch The Dragon Prince.

Oh, yes! It felt like Avatar, but just enough to feel familiar to be comfortable, but different enough to be distinct and refreshing.

Also, I can hear(The Character) Sokka in some of Callum's lines, and that felt nice.

What I hope the most is that they take their time. By that I mean that while this show only had 3 seasons and the episodes had a run-time of under half an hour, it was so visually intensive, epic in scope, and adventurous in terms of long distances traveled that they would probably be better off making the jump to live action by splitting the Books into at least 2 seasons, especially if they will just have 8–10 episodes per season ala Game of Thrones and other shows from Netflix with a massive and expensive scope like Marco Polo. If the episodes themselves end up being around 45 minutes long then all the better because it will give them time to breath, improve upon the world building and characterization, make the distance traveled seem less irrelevant so they don’t run into trouble like the 7th season of Game of Thrones did when they had to rush their armies all over the continent and ensure there is more screen time for training with the elements.

Personally, I think the first live action season actually has a perfect spot for a season finale before reaching the adaptation of the 10th animated episode: The episode where Aang goes to the Fire Nation to learn what’s at stake if he doesn’t master the elements before Sozin’s comet and sets the stage for the rest of the series. Then the second season could take its time, probably skip the critically panned and lore useless episode The Great Divide to better focus on the better stories and save some of the budget for the grand finale of Book 1 with the Siege of the Northern Water tribe.

Book 2 has so many important events and new characters that I could actually see them divide it into three seasons for release and narrative purposes but if they go down that route they might try to film more back to back so that the actors physically age less. In that case, my personal preference would be to divide it into the following story arcs:

Season 3 would adapt the Book 2 episodes 1–8, ending with the The Chase episode against Azula where Zuku and Iroh team up with Team Avatar for the first time. Add in the cliff hanger of the lightning attack that nearly killed Iroh, especially for those that never watched the animated show and its a good place for the end of the arc.

Season 4 would adapt the Book 2 episodes 9–13. Might seem like few episodes for a 8–10 episode adaptation but there is a LOT going on those episodes that the live action show could do in a grand scale and would likely need more budget for less screen time. From the Earthbending training at the beginning, to the investigations in the Spirit Library to learn of the eclipse, to getting stranded in the desert after Appa is kidnapped (that alone should realistically take them a few episodes to solve as they wouldn’t be flying for once) to getting through the treacherous Serpent’s path and while trying to escape the massive apex predator and finally an epic action sequence to prevent the gargantuan drill from breaching the walls of the last stronghold of the Earth Kingdom for the season finale.

Season 5 would then finish the remaining Book 2 episodes, ending with the Crossroads of Destiny season finale as the stakes had never been higher with Ba Sing Se falling, Aang being nearly killed in the Avatar State, Zuko betraying them after the viewers were rooting for him a lot more these last few seasons and more.

As for Book 3, I am kind of torn there as my preference to divide it into 3 seasons as well would start getting in the way of reality, mainly the aging of the younger actors but if they can film it all the way and release them one arc at a time while they improve post production for the subsequent ones, I would end season 6 with Book 3 episode 8, the fan favorite Puppet Master episode.

Afterwards, we can jump almost immediately into the invasion of the Fire Nation with the allies they gather through the series for a very strong opening act for Season 7. Then we go through the long awaited moment of Zuku joining Team Avatar, meeting the dragons and end it with the Boiling Rock prison break two parter for a satisfying season finale.

And now, at long last we can go to the final arc for Season 8. After a strong premier where Azula forces them to flee the Western Air Temple it goes on with Katara and Zuko teaming up to hunt down the one that killed Katara's mom and end up finding closure. I am indifferent as to whether not The Ember Island play episode should be adapted but it would make for some good calm-before-the-storm comedy if they do it well. And then, the final showdown we have all been waiting for finally arrives when the original producers adapt the magnificent 4-part series finale.

So, yeah, I think netflix and the producers would do well to divide the books into multiple seasons so that we get all the highlights and more and reduce inconsistencies that would inevitably arise when making the jump to live action. In reality, I doubt they would actually do 8 seasons for it even if I find it most ideal but I seriously doubt Netflix intends to just burn through the storylines in three years. If they play their cards right, this has the potential of being their greatest show yet and they would know it. But I guess we will see. 

• 3 weeks later...

I was not aware this was happening until I stumbled across this post, and I could not be happier about it!  Netflix has knocked it out of the park more often than not, so hopefully this is one of those that lands in the parking lot.  I have to imagine that the creators have some pretty strong opinions on what not to do after MNS violated their creation...  Much, much worse than the Eragon adaptation, and that is saying something cuz that movie was AWFUL.  Almost on par with Krull (when viewed as an adult).

Less cheese, more Bending!  Thanks @Moonrise for the heads up on this!

Edited by StarrFall

On 9/20/2018 at 5:21 PM, Briar King said:

Now y’all go watch The Dragon Prince.

Checking it out now and it seems pretty good, but the animation really needs some work - as it stands it is nowhere close to living up tot he glory of ATLA.  I had this problem with something else netflix produced.  the premise seemed OK, but I couldn't get past the animation

as far as live action - i'll wait on the reviews.  it is promising that they have the original creators on board, but I worry that the required level of CGI will be too much for netflix to handle

16 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

I worry that the required level of CGI will be too much for netflix to handle

On one hand, maybe. But on the other hand, Netflix will probably throw a ton of money at the budget for it, knowing that if they do it right, they'll make enough to get that money back tenfold.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a simple way that we can all come to a place of Forgiveness regarding the Shamalanatrocity:  It would only take one cameo poster to establish that it was all just the screen adaptation of the Ember Island Players production :D

On 10/26/2018 at 9:04 PM, Dunkum said:

Checking it out now and it seems pretty good, but the animation really needs some work - as it stands it is nowhere close to living up tot he glory of ATLA.  I had this problem with something else netflix produced.  the premise seemed OK, but I couldn't get past the animation

as far as live action - i'll wait on the reviews.  it is promising that they have the original creators on board, but I worry that the required level of CGI will be too much for netflix to handle

They tried some new scheme to fuzt with the frame rates; they thought it would counter some of the CG "floatiness" (and I assume save some budget), but it ended up making a bunch of scenes super choppy.  They've admitted it wasnt the right call and promised to fix things next season.

As far as Netflix giving things a decent Budget: they did just steal Superman away from the DCEU to star in their Live action Witcher series, so Im not all that worried about them being cheap.

Edited by Quantus
grammar...

11 hours ago, Quantus said:

They tried some new scheme to fuzt with the frame rates; they thought it would counter some of the CG "floatiness" (and I assume save some budget), but it ended up making a bunch of scenes super choppy.  They've admitted it wasnt the right call and promised to fix things next season.

As far as Netflix giving things a decent Budget: they did just steal Superman away from the DCEU to star in their Live action Witcher series, so Im not all that worried about them being cheap.

That is promising on both counts.  I assume they are smart enough to give ATLA the budget it needs - there is a big fan base that would love to see it if they get it right, and that will hate them forever if they get it wrong.

12 hours ago, Quantus said:

There is a simply that we can all come to a place of Forgiveness regarding the Shamalanatrocity:  It would only take one cameo poster to establish that it was all just the screen adaptation of the Ember Island Players production :D

Yes! Netflix, please make the Ember Island Players episode just them watching clips of the shyamalan movie. That'd be hilarious!

On 9/29/2018 at 4:42 PM, Mistbreaker said:

What I hope the most is that they take their time. By that I mean that while this show only had 3 seasons and the episodes had a run-time of So, yeah, I think netflix and the producers would do well to divide the books into multiple seasons so that we get all the highlights and more and reduce inconsistencies that would inevitably arise when making the jump to live action. In reality, I doubt they would actually do 8 seasons for it even if I find it most ideal but I seriously doubt Netflix intends to just burn through the storylines in three years. If they play their cards right, this has the potential of being their greatest show yet and they would know it. But I guess we will see. 

Can you please direct the show because this sounds amazing!

23 hours ago, Gray to said:

Can you please direct the show because this sounds amazing!

Heh, I wish. But you know, I actually wrote down some extra stuff I would like to see in the show since that older post. Here it is if you are interested:

1. More of Iroh's backstory.

Pretty self explanatory. I just want to see an episode that truly focuses of his younger days even if they still have to show scenes in the present day. Having an appearance by Lu-ten and getting to see their close relationship would also be a bonus.

2. A bigger role for Suki: One of my favorite characters and I think an undervalued extra member of the group.

3. More background for Ozai: As much as I liked the climax of the series and his role in it, the man was more of a walking plot device than a fully developed character despite the fact they had three seasons to work with him and much reason for hype leading up to the series finale. And as controversial as Legend of Korra ended up being with part of the fandom, I have to admit they did a better job developing their excellent villains and their reasons for following the ideologies that fueled their convictions, especially with Zaheer, Amon and Kuvira. I think the producers would do well to learn from the things they improved upon in Legend of Korra now that they have the benefit of hindsight, especially if they intend to add extra content in the live action seasons.

4. A secondary spirit antagonist: This option may seem less valid if they don’t intend to expand the content but if they do, it might make an excellent original side plot. I know Ozai and Sozin's comet will still be the main conflict no matter what{at least, as far as we know}, but what if they upped the ante a bit by saying that Ozai's victory will pave the way for darker, more otherworldy things. I'm talking Koh or some of the other malevolent spirits working behind the scenes to make things harder, attacking the Gaang outright and whatever else is needed to make their own plans for the world a reality. And there is precedence in the franchise to have that make sense. After all, the world and, by extension, the Spirit World went out of balance when Sozin exterminated the Air Nomads and Ozai was going to orchestrate his own genocidal plan for the Earth Kingdom if Aang hadn’t stopped him. Take that, add the fact that Admiral Zhao probably enraged a large chunk of the Spirit World’s population when he almost destroyed the ancient Moon Spirit for good, and I can see the more ambitious spirits taking a more active role in retaliation.

5. Korra foreshadowing: Let's say that Vaatu is the reason for the actions of the spirits I mentioned above and maybe, just maybe, Aang is shown a bit of what his successor will have to go through with the help of the Tree of Time and made to believe that things will be smoother if he makes a pre-emptive strike now and not let her worry about it later; only to realize later on that he will still have to leave it in the hands of a future generation because Harmonic Convergency is still 70 years away, and so Aang gets back to the present problems he needs to solve instead of being tricked into straying from his path . This one's probably asking a lot, but who knows?

6. A cameo by Dante Bosco: Because why not?

7. A more Avatar Kyoshi centric episode full of interesting flashbacks during the Avatar Day re-imagined version, just as we got an Avatar Rooku-centric episode in Book 3 of the animated series. Moreover, by the time they get around to filming that episode, the first few books of the upcoming Kyoshi series that will deal with her rise to power should already be published so they would have more canon lore to work with by the time they get to that episode than at the time they produced Book 2 episode 5 over 10 years ago.

Edited by Mistbreaker