Books I bought today...

Syborae

I thought this might be a fun topic after shopping at Borders today. I know I'd love to hear what books y'all are getting as well! Basically it's just somewhere to post about your book acquisitions, whether bought or gifts or found free (legally).

Walking into Borders was exciting at first. I knew there would be great deals and I was excited to see how little I could get books for and thus stretch the $20 my Grandma gave me. Once inside though it felt rather eery and unsettling. I hadn't been in our only bookstore in town (other than a not very good used bookstore that is) since before the announcement of Borders going out of business so the change was drastic. As I looked over the Fantasy and Scifi shelves they were sad and lonely. It sort of felt like we were all picking over a corpse and my former glee made me feel guilty for some reason. Sanderson and Jordan were nowhere to be seen (I'm hoping to try in the Reno stores though!) so I looked over what was left to see what I wanted. I was going to get Hexed and Hammered, two novels finishing Kevin Hearne's urban fantasy about a Druid but when I wandered over to the Reference section (60% off instead of 50%! :D) I spotted a writing book that I'd always wanted but that had been previously too expensive for me ($28). I am definitely going back when I have some more money to see what I else I can get! I also looked at Mievelle, Bacigalupi, Downum, Scholes, de Bodard and Carriger.

So without further adieu, my picks off of Border's decaying corpse:

story-engineering.jpgStory Engineering by Larry Brooks - I hadn't heard of this book before I walked in the store today but it really seemed to speak to what I need at the moment with writing. I always thought that I would be the kind of writer's that just has an idea, starts and goes and yet I've never been able to finish a story. I've come to realize that I want more structure than I'd ever thought and this insight into the story building process will be invaluable. The fact that Terry Brooks had a blurb on the back was helpful as well, not that I'm a big fan (it's been at least 10 years since I've read anything) but the fact a speculative fiction writer had a blurb on the back was encouraging to me.

writers-journey-e1305375105702.jpgThe Writer's Journey by Christopher Vogler - I've only recently started getting back into writing again. I created a few writer's folders for myself and when I got birthday money in May, I used it to buy a few other books that I'd been wanting for awhile but could never afford (Booklife: Strategies and Survival Tips for the 21st Century Writer by Jeff VanderMeer and The Guide to Writing Fantasy and Science Fiction by Philip Athans ) and noticed this book in the same section. I contemplated getting it at the time but the price threw me off. Today was a golden opportunity to get the book and I'm eager to jump in.

Edited by Syborae

• 4 weeks later...

I got a few Jim Butcher books when my local Borders closed, but it definitely wasn't today. I did buy a copy of Henry IV part I for school yesterday, though. I am coming to adore the Folger Shakespeare Library editions!

Also, could you please let me know how those books are? They sound great!

• 10 years later...

you guys are so lucky i dont have a boarders near me but i did get a few books for christmas (and bought myself a couple too :)

• skyward (ive been meaning to read it)
  • a natural history of dragons
  • the great train robbery (chriton)
  • death note vol. 1
  • and finally, the post humous memoirs of bras cubas (this ones a classic and lsounds really weird tbh)