Dalinar and Honour

The Grumpy Elantrian

So my little pet theory I have, or at least hope will be the case, is that Dalinar will eventually take up the Shard once held by Honour. Honour is dead yes, but when a Shard dies their power doesn't just disappear (unless that is what Odium did to Honour but I doubt that as honours power is still available to those on Roshar = stormlight), and so presumably someone could still accept the power of Honour. As Dalinar and the Stormfather are doing some whack things, I imagine that there is something special going on. I don't think Dalinar will become Honour but instead Unity, as he is doing more than even the Bondsmiths of old were capable, according to the Stormfather, and his face-off with Odium in OB is full of Unity stuff.

Anyway, I welcome your thoughts.

I agree that is what appears to be happening so far.  Whether that's a good thing for the story or not is another question.  My sneaking suspicion is that Infinite Stormlight Well Dalinar is going to get real boring real fast.  Personally, I'm worried that he's already gone too far.

1 minute ago, galendo said:

I agree that is what appears to be happening so far.  Whether that's a good thing for the story or not is another question.  My sneaking suspicion is that Infinite Stormlight Well Dalinar is going to get real boring real fast.  Personally, I'm worried that he's already gone too far.

Perhaps, but I doubt Brandon will allow it to stagnate and become boring. It seems unlike him to just allow super mega power without any limitations.

7 minutes ago, galendo said:

Infinite Stormlight well? He's not going to have that. He was able to charge one person and it exhausted him. 

The perpendicularity was a result of swearing the oath. It isn't going to be a regular thing. 

26 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Infinite Stormlight well? He's not going to have that. He was able to charge one person and it exhausted him. 

The perpendicularity was a result of swearing the oath. It isn't going to be a regular thing. 

Just wanted to back this up with a relevant WoB.

Questioner:

What's with Kaladin being special with his oaths that he explodes with power every time he says it?

Brandon Sanderson:

That is a function of Windrunners being very close to Bondsmiths, which has certain effects.

Questioner:

Would other Windrunners also do that, as well?

Brandon Sanderson:

Yep.

There are tons of Unity theories you can check out: http://www.17thshard.com/forum/search/?&q=unity&type=forums_topic&search_in=titles

It's pretty clear that Dalinar reforging Honor as Unity is the intended implication in Oathbringer.  It remains to be seen whether Brandon will go with that or if it was a fake out.  

On 9/19/2018 at 5:32 PM, Calderis said:

I hope you're right.  I remember Dalinar was having some difficulties charging Kaladin, but I think I attributed it more to the effort of doing something new and the whole Thaylen City battle earlier, the same way that someone who ran a marathon the day before might be exhausted by a two-mile jog the following day.

On the one hand, the super-boost does seem a lot like a scaled-up version of Kaladin's Oath-swearing, which is very temporary.  On the other, Dalinar can certainly boost Radiants/gems on command, and in literally every other instance of Radiants learning their powers that we've seen, they start off clumsy and get better over time (generally way better), so I think that what we see Dalinar do for Kaladin is the very minimum that he'll be able to do in the future.

40 minutes ago, galendo said:

On the one hand, the super-boost does seem a lot like a scaled-up version of Kaladin's Oath-swearing, which is very temporary.  On the other, Dalinar can certainly boost Radiants/gems on command, and in literally every other instance of Radiants learning their powers that we've seen, they start off clumsy and get better over time (generally way better), so I think that what we see Dalinar do for Kaladin is the very minimum that he'll be able to do in the future.

I don't think this is a Radiant power. The storming Stormfather, the literal source of stormlight on Roshar, attempted to fill a gem outside of a highstorm earlier in the book and failed. 

Whatever this is, it's because of Dalinar's connection to the Shard, his "ascension" per Odium. I don't think honk this is something he can get better at without moments of insane Connection i.e. Swearing an oath. Or if he actually takes up the Shard in truth. 

• Chaos locked this topic