Skyward: Nov 16, 2018 [Naperville, IL] (Community Christian Church)

Argent

Tor has announced the full Skyward tour, use this topic to sign up for and discuss the Naperville stop:

Friday, November 16 at 7:00 PM
Community Christian Church
(Hosted by Anderson’s Bookshop)
Talk, Q&A, Book Signing
1635 Emerson Lane
Naperville, IL 60540

I myself will be at this stop, so I am looking forward to meeting many of you (but not all! It's a lot of you here, I can't afford to meet all of you, it'll eat into my Brandon time...) there.

51 minutes ago, Volratho said:

I will be there along with the audio equipment I usually bring to the Chicagoland signings. Hopefully we can get access to the location's audio equipment this time, that would simplify it for everyone.

It's the same place as the Oathbringer stop, I don't know if that's useful to you. We should 100% start the conversation early though.

On 9/25/2018 at 8:37 PM, EponasSong said:

Count me in. Hopefully Brandon is feeling better this year (I think he had a cold or something last year). Hopefully I will meet some of you there, I will try to wear something noticeable. Probably something Zelda related, because Heaven forbid I wear something else. 

Hype!

Yeah, he was pretty sick last time, and I also hope he is feeling better this time. Chicago is often a late step in his tours, so there's plenty of opportunities for people to give him something, but he is usually fine, so I am willing to flag last year as a fluke.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, strangelee7 said:

I'll be there...my first book signing ever, my favorite author, and only about two hours from campus so I'm not even skipping any classes (if I'm being honest though, I would have if it hadn't worked out so well)...I'm very excited. :):):):)

Hype! You can try finding me when you arrive (I'll probably share a photo closer to the event, once I decide how much beard to have), and I hope to whip more than few people into being a community, at least for the time being.

• 2 weeks later...

I might be coming! Realized we're flying in to visit my girlfriend's family that day so it seemed too cool a chance to miss, as I started her on Sanderson books a couple months ago. If I do come ill be a touch late though, have to get from midway to there during what I assume is a not fun rush hour. 

Does anyone who's gone to events at this location before know if we'll need to buy two separate tickets? Or could we squeak through on a parent & teen ticket if we only want the one copy? 

On 11/5/2018 at 5:47 PM, BrightnessSamantha said:

I am 99% sure I'm going! It's my first book signing so I will probably just observe but feel free to say hi and I will do the same! Would love to meet some local Sanderfans!

Find me! I usually sit away from the signing line, putting together a group of local-ish friends, we should be able to give you a few names to talk to.

18 hours ago, lyssie95 said:

I might be coming! Realized we're flying in to visit my girlfriend's family that day so it seemed too cool a chance to miss, as I started her on Sanderson books a couple months ago. If I do come ill be a touch late though, have to get from midway to there during what I assume is a not fun rush hour. 

Does anyone who's gone to events at this location before know if we'll need to buy two separate tickets? Or could we squeak through on a parent & teen ticket if we only want the one copy? 

Arriving late shouldn't be a problem. I don't know about the ticket situation though, I could see it going either way. You could check with the venue.

10 hours ago, Argent said:

Arriving late shouldn't be a problem. I don't know about the ticket situation though, I could see it going either way. You could check with the venue.

Thanks for the advice! I called the bookstore and after being transferred and spending some time on hold while they deliberated, they said it was okay to use the parent/teen option for other relationships wherein you wanted two tickets but only one book. 

This will be my first signing and I'm so excited. I was wondering if the q&a will only be for skyward geared questions, or can they be cosmere related too. Also is the venue at a bookshop or at a church? (I wanted to buy another book and get it signed there as well)

9 hours ago, Bronze V said:

This will be my first signing and I'm so excited. I was wondering if the q&a will only be for skyward geared questions, or can they be cosmere related too. Also is the venue at a bookshop or at a church? (I wanted to buy another book and get it signed there as well)

Hey, make sure you come say hi! 

The Q&A is open (i.e. Brandon just picks questions from the audience), but spoilers of any kind are generally frowned upon. So you can ask Cosmere questions, but try to dance around spoilers. For example, if you have read The Way of Kings:

Spoiler

Instead of asking something like "Is Taln really Taln?" you could phrase that as "Is the person who shows up in Kholinar in the epilogue really who he claims to be?"

The event will be taking place in the church, but it is being organized by the bookshop, so any questions you have should be directed to Anderson's. 

I was updating my list of questions (link in my signature) earlier, and realized I am starting to run low on questions - in fact, some of the Shardworlds don't have any right now! So, as I think about what I want to add to it, I am also kind of opening it to suggestions. No promises that I will use anything, but if something looks interesting enough to me, I might adopt it.

4 hours ago, Argent said:

I was updating my list of questions (link in my signature) earlier, and realized I am starting to run low on questions - in fact, some of the Shardworlds don't have any right now! So, as I think about what I want to add to it, I am also kind of opening it to suggestions. No promises that I will use anything, but if something looks interesting enough to me, I might adopt it.

This isn’t a Cosmere one, but something I was slightly curious about after reading Skyward:

SKYWARD SPOILERS:

Spoiler

Which movement of the New World Symphony did M-Bot play for Spensa?

6 minutes ago, caseycassidy said:

I'm coming again with @Shardhorse (Brianna, blue hair) again! We'll be bringing a friend we've dragged into the cosmere who isn't quite caught up yet

I think I remember you two! Vaguely. I'll probably be there early (as early as 3 PM, possibly, but no later than 5), so if you - or anyone else - has nothing to do, come say hi!

Apparently my insomnia gets worse the night before I get to go to my favorite author's book signing...imagine that.

And yet there's still 18 hours, an ethics class, an upper level Russian class, and two hours of driving until the actual event.

......those classes are going to take forever.