Argent

Skyward: Nov 10, 2018 [Seattle WA] (University Temple United Methodist Church)

93 posts in this topic

Now I wonder, if you could spike a spiritweb into a planet, could it become a shard?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you could do that, you could spike Iron Feruchemy into a rocket then Awaken it and command it to Be Lighter to make it require less fuel.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think that would work. Awakening, in general, is about doing, not being. Changing the physical properties of an object would require you to either break the laws of physics (as they exist in the Cosmere), or somehow continuously fuel that change with Investiture, neither one of which seems like an option. Unless I misunderstand and you are thinking about essentially making the rocket use Feruchemy? I doubt that would work either, I feel like a Command that makes an object use an Invested Art would be far too advanced.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

If you could do that, you could spike Iron Feruchemy into a rocket then Awaken it and command it to Be Lighter to make it require less fuel.

 

12 minutes ago, Argent said:

I don't think that would work. Awakening, in general, is about doing, not being. Changing the physical properties of an object would require you to either break the laws of physics (as they exist in the Cosmere), or somehow continuously fuel that change with Investiture, neither one of which seems like an option. Unless I misunderstand and you are thinking about essentially making the rocket use Feruchemy? I doubt that would work either, I feel like a Command that makes an object use an Invested Art would be far too advanced.

Spiking the rocket might be a bit over-complicated.  BoM spoilers:
 

Spoiler

Instead, just turn the rocket into a primer cube of sorts.  Then the rocket itself could use iron Feruchemy as long as someone inside could also use that power.

Storms, I should have asked Brandon if you could turn a rocket into one of those... *Checks website to see when next book tour might be*, Rusts!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My roommate isn't a member of the 17th shard but here is the question and answer he got:

Q: Do any of the Shards regret becoming Shards?

Brandon: (Hesitantly).... Um Yes.

Q: Yes?

Brandon: I would say yes.

 

My question (I wrote it down in my leather-bound Well of Ascension)

Q: Is there a Shard named Judgement or and antonym (ie Justice)

Brandon: (sees my question written down) Oh umm... yeah that's a RAFO.  

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Johhny_Eastland said:

My roommate isn't a member of the 17th shard but here is the question and answer he got:

Q: Do any of the Shards regret becoming Shards?

Brandon: (Hesitantly).... Um Yes.

Q: Yes?

Brandon: I would say yes.

 

My question (I wrote it down in my leather-bound Well of Ascension)

Q: Is there a Shard named Judgement or and antonym (ie Justice)

Brandon: (sees my question written down) Oh umm... yeah that's a RAFO.  

I just finished snipping the audio for this yesterday and I remember the first one, so you should make sure your friend gets credit for his question once we transcribe it :)

As for your own question, I think I remember Brandon RAFOing something written down but I don't think I created an audio snippet of it (because it wasn't useful without the question). We'll see how we'll input this one.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Argent said:

I just finished snipping the audio for this yesterday and I remember the first one, so you should make sure your friend gets credit for his question once we transcribe it :)

As for your own question, I think I remember Brandon RAFOing something written down but I don't think I created an audio snippet of it (because it wasn't useful without the question). We'll see how we'll input this one.

I will! I was in line right before him. I was hoping the combination of the leather-bound,it being written down, and stars aligning might have increased my chances of not getting a RAFO from 0% to .5% hahaha. How long does it normally take for everyone to transcribe it on the Arcanum? Or should I just go over there to help transcribe his question?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Johhny_Eastland said:

I will! I was in line right before him. I was hoping the combination of the leather-bound,it being written down, and stars aligning might have increased my chances of not getting a RAFO from 0% to .5% hahaha. How long does it normally take for everyone to transcribe it on the Arcanum? Or should I just go over there to help transcribe his question?

Well, the more people help, the less time it takes :)

I wouldn't say there is an usual rate, especially these days as people jump in the middle of whatever event they feel like and transcribe a few interesting questions. It's not a bad thing, but it makes it difficult to evaluate how long it'll take us to get done, as we might be looking at 70% completion of one event, 40% of another, 100% of a third, and 10% of a fourth - where previously we worked through them more or less sequentially. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Argent Where do I go to help transcribe? The audio for the signing line isn't in the "sources" tab on Arcanum, from what I can see.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Johhny_Eastland said:

My roommate isn't a member of the 17th shard but here is the question and answer he got:

Q: Do any of the Shards regret becoming Shards?

Brandon: (Hesitantly).... Um Yes.

Q: Yes?

Brandon: I would say yes.

Well, I would say Aona and Skai probably regret becoming Shards, as it caused them to die.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Khyrindor said:

@Argent Where do I go to help transcribe? The audio for the signing line isn't in the "sources" tab on Arcanum, from what I can see.

There is one audio snippet we still need to mute, so the entire thing should be coming up soon. I'll update this thread when it's ready.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really should have asked more questions, I only asked one...

But it was good!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

Thanks!

I have another audio source for 3 of them, if that would help.

Let's see how the transcription goes. Most of @coltonx9's was pretty good, and we have @hoiditthroughthegrapevine's.

This being said, the event is now ready, and you can help transcribe here: https://wob.coppermind.net/events/370-skyward-seattle-signing/

Let us know, either here or in the #arcanum Discord channel if any of the audio snippets have weird timestamps (starting/ending too early or late) and we'll fix those up.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

7044 to 7048 are mine. :D

Feel free to either transcribe them or, once they are transcribed, edit your name for the speaker.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

The way Sazed describes the people group [of Trell] in the first time he explains it and later on in Hero of Ages seems fairly different. Is that because of different perspective on religion, or how the religion is?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Let's just say that is intentional.

source

I love this one.  We had seen that Ruin could change text that was not inscribed in metal, and he could change memories stored in Copperminds - we saw this in Kwaan's inscription, that he was convinced the memories in his copperminds were being changed, that something was altering them to make Alendi fit the prophecy.

 

It stands to reason that other shards would be able to take similar action, just like some shards can speak to the minds of those that use their investiture, and others can hear those that do.

 

So, this would seem to be whichever shard has taken the name Trell manipulating the lore to serve their purposes over time, a little nudge at a time.  But more interesting to decode - Which other intents are actively manipulating text, written and recorded memories towards their own endgame?  What if a shard is doing that to the Radiant Library in Urithiru as well?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.