Skyward: Nov 10, 2018 [Seattle WA] (University Temple United Methodist Church)

Argent

I was here! This was my second Sanderson signing, after Emerald City Comic Con earlier this year. I'm glad I got a chance to see him talk, which I didn't at ECCC. The reading was fun too.

No questions from me this time. But I got a signed Skyward and a selfie. Yay!

My first signing. Great to hear him talk and hear that noncanon scene from Stormlight 9. I got a couple books signed, and asked him about kandra and aviar.

Me: I know you've said in the past there are size limitations for what kandra can mimic, like they can't lop off a part of their body and make a squirrel. So my question is if a Kandra in human form absorbed or consumed an aviar and placed it on their shoulder like a pirate, it wouldn't be able to fly off ever but it would be a contiguous part of their body connected to them. So could the kandra gain the aviar's abilities?

Sanderson: *thinks* No. Good question! No, because they're just replicating the body not the soul.

24 minutes ago, Zinc Counselor said:

Great to hear him talk and hear that noncanon scene from Stormlight 9.

Hmm... Well, that is one way to put it. : )

I got flustered while asking my question... It was supposed to be about whether the Radients of old splintered their spren by breaking their oaths, and if that was what Kaladin was in the process of doing with Syl...

Unfortunately what I asked was if it was possible to splinter a spren... Which I am pretty sure I have seen asked before... Lessons learned.

Next time I go to a signing, I am writing down my question word for word, and am just going to read it. : )

12 minutes ago, Furamirionind said:

Hmm... Well, that is one way to put it. : )

I got flustered while asking my question... It was supposed to be about whether the Radients of old splintered their spren by breaking their oaths, and if that was what Kaladin was in the process of doing with Syl...

Unfortunately what I asked was if it was possible to splinter a spren... Which I am pretty sure I have seen asked before... Lessons learned.

Next time I go to a signing, I am writing down my question word for word, and am just going to read it. : )

I should have done that...

I asked if there were affects of being born, concieved, or raised in the cognitive realm.

He said that there is, but they may not be easily recognizable.

I meant to ask what the affects were...

Still, got something new!

Hey @RShara I wore the T is a plant shirt, check it out! (spoilered below)

Spoiler

PhotoWithBrandon.jpg.c0715b88c915eff78ee16740e81cec1b.jpg

Looks like the T is thirsty and is stealing a sip of Brandon's water.

That's my brother with me, he's read the first mistborn trilogy, but I think this might have convinced him to take the plunge into Stormlight Archives. Pretty awesome.

It was great talking with you @Khyrindor and your lurker friends. You guys got some awesome WOBs!

I recorded this too, so you arcanists will have two source files to use to disambiguate mumbles and such. My phone was right underneath @coltonx9's, so there might not be much variance in the sound, but then again, there might be just enough.

Had a lot of fun at the signing! It was my first one since Calgary in 2014, and I got to bring some friends down from Interior British Columbia as well. Between the three of us we got a lot of questions answered. The verbatim will be in the recordings, but here are some highlights:

-Felt was Cosmere-aware during Era 1, but Brandon wouldn't confirm if he was directly or indirectly involved in the interplanetary trade via the Pits of Hathsin. I also asked if he was part of the Seventeenth Shard and he said he's had his fingers in a lot of things, but is not in the Seventeenth Shard as of Oathbringer.

-Mraize is a Roshar native, RAFO to how old he is.

-Khriss knows the Intents of all 16 Shards, and knew them when she wrote the essays.

-Shards can smite people depending on where they are. For example, Odium can't smite people, but Endowment can. [I assume this is because Odium isn't on Roshar, but it's very interesting to me that Endowment can, given her Intent.]

-Shards cannot cancel power to someone using their magic. If they had to stop them the best way would be to smite them. Brandon expounded and said cancelling power would be like cancelling the laws of physics.

-All Shards have different limitations when it comes to speaking to or listening to humans and Brandon will be getting to that in the future.

-I asked if Autonomy directly helped Odium kill Apna and Skai. I got the RAFO I expected, but Brandon added that generally fighting Shard to Shard is a bad idea without help. I'm looking forward to the verbatim words on this answer.

-I got clarification that Riino from the lighthouse in Oathbringer was an Ire, and was also the Hoed Elantrian that Raoden brought to the Shardpool in Elantris. I also asked if he was Ire before that happened and Brandon said no.

-I asked if the Five Scholars ever spoke to Endowment in a way they would remember, and was RAFOd.

-I asked how good Endowment's future sight was when compared to other Shards, and was RAFOd.

I also have a recording of the reading, which was a Taln scene from what would have been book 9 of The Way of Kings (2002 version). It was interesting but I don't think there was anything too revealing. There were some fun general q&a answers (not Cosmere related) and an awesome speech by Brandon. 

It was awesome to meet @hoiditthroughthegrapevine and go over questions as well. 

It was definitely worth the 7 hour trip down!

3 hours ago, Khyrindor said:

-Khriss knows the Intents of all 16 Shards, and knew them when she wrote the essays.

Hah. I had just added this exact thing (like, less than a week ago) as a question to my personal list. Nice to know I can already check it off.

Does this mean that no Shards are left on Yolen? Since she didn't know where Yolen was in SH. I guess it is a bit of a leap; it's possible she learned about a hypothetical "Yolen Shard" from other sources, like the Seventeenth Shard or Hoid or even another Shard.

10 hours ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

Hey @RShara I wore the T is a plant shirt, check it out! (spoilered below)

Hide contents

PhotoWithBrandon.jpg.c0715b88c915eff78ee16740e81cec1b.jpg

Looks like the T is thirsty and is stealing a sip of Brandon's water.

That's my brother with me, he's read the first mistborn trilogy, but I think this might have convinced him to take the plunge into Stormlight Archives. Pretty awesome.

It was great talking with you @Khyrindor and your lurker friends. You guys got some awesome WOBs!

I recorded this too, so you arcanists will have two source files to use to disambiguate mumbles and such. My phone was right underneath @coltonx9's, so there might not be much variance in the sound, but then again, there might be just enough.

Nice, that's so awesome :D

I really wish I had known there was internet, I would have met up with somebody, but I didn't, and my phone didn't have data, so the only other people I talked to were some guy with a mistcloak and glass daggers, and a woman who I didn't find out their name or 17th shard username, so...

I feel sad now.

Here are the questions I asked (the Dysian Aimian one was suprising):

Personalized book questions:
Q:Were the Dysian Aimians created by Adonalsium?
If not were they created by a different Shard?
A: RAFO

Q: Is felt an agent of Harmony?
If not, is he working for a secret society that we have seen?
A: Felt is different in his allegiance depending on the part of his life

I got to ask a follow up if modern day Rosharan Felt knew how to get some atium. Brandon said that he would know how to go about trying to aquire some but that it would be very difficult for him to do so, and he probably wouldn't be able to get any.

I also asked if Dysian Aimians were called Dysian as a nod to Martin Heidegger's formulation of Deisan being in Being and Time. He said that he read that, so it might have been a subconscious reason, but it was not intentional.

I also asked if a Dysian Aimian had the Elsecaller Honor blade could just a single cremling transition to the cognitive Realm. Brandon said that as it works now, they could do that, but that single cremling would probably lose contact with the host and would become broken off and no longer part of the hive. It would be like if your finger was cut off and sent to the CR. He also said that Dysian's wished that they were more versatile in some respects.

These were end of the event questions and Brandon was wanting to head out, so I only got a couple in. Man's not truly a machine, he needs his dinner so I kept these short.

Q: Were the Dawn cities, the ones based on cymatic patterns created using a supercharged combination of the surges of cohesion and illumination, using cohesion to make the ground liquid and illumination to send a frequency—
A: You are theorizing in the right direction.

Q: Is Cultivation's investiture distributed by the crem cycle?
A: Uh, RAFO, sorry

Q: The magical fish in the Purelake, is their magic part of the Old Magic paradigm?
A: The magical fish are, uh, not of Honor. Not of honor in a bad way, but there is something else going on there.

Q: Can a shard have more than one shardpool?
A: Yes

Q: Does Cultivation have another shardpool in the Purelakes?
A: RAFO

3 minutes ago, Badadah said:

Yeah, I wouldn't have thought that.

Then again, if a Sel became a shard, the planet would vaporize, so...

Lol, I hadn't thought of that...

If a planet was to become a shard, it would be strange to think about what its Intent might be... Imagine a planet picking up Ruin?  Thats just weird to think about...

Edited by Furamirionind

Yeah, and we already know animals have to be intelligent to pick up a shard, so I guess it isn't that surprising.

Also, imagine the Elantrians reactions. Going about their every day business, talking, laughing, suddenly: Space.

Edited by Badadah