Odium more worried of Harmony than his current Adversaries

goody153

6 minutes ago, Fanghur Rahl said:

I can’t imagine Hoid NOT immediately dropping what he was doing and going immediately to Shadesmar and thence to Scadrial’s Cognitive Realm to immediately meet with Harmony. Hoid isn’t an idiot. Everyone else who he’d asked for help basically told him to butt out and stop fussing, and then finally the Cosmere’s most powerful being expresses interest in helping if only Hoid would meet with him. He would have to be a total moron to not jump at the opportunity. For all we know that exactly what he did in one of his many long hiatuses from the story.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree there.

1. Hoid is busy on Roshar, he has been absent from the story at times but not to the best of our knowledge, from the planet (depending on when you think he sent the letters). Combine that with the fact that Shadesmar is extremely dangerous right now and the fact that weeks (if not much longer) away from Roshar during the Final Desolation for a relatively low chance of success and I can't see Hoid thinking it is worth the risk.

2. I don't see Harmony as expressing interest in helping. He essentially says "come tell me everything I want to know and I will consider helping you", hardly a guarantee to Hoid, and from the one vessel he hasn't met and doesn't know.

3. Actually Autonomy gave Hoid a challenge too. If he wants to earn their respect and the chance for more than rejection he should go to the waters and pass their tests. Do you think he is going to take them up on that? I doubt that too.

At the end of the day, I suppose it is possible he would. But based on Brandons insistence that Stormlight will stand alone and the in-world reasons I stated above I, personally, don't see it.

You guys are assuming that letters arrived/happened at the same time as Stormlight Archives or the time of Dalinar.

Judging from harmony sending a Kandra there(possibly Marsh too consider apparently he was a worldhopper) and Endowments splinters in that place. The might've happened way before stormlight archives

1 hour ago, goody153 said:

Judging from harmony sending a Kandra there(possibly Marsh too consider apparently he was a worldhopper) and Endowments splinters in that place. The might've happened way before stormlight archives

I think we have previous evidence of the letters running at least close too, if not concurrent with, the story we're reading. 

From Frost's letter 

Have you given up on the gemstone, now that it is dead? And do you no longer hide behind the name of your old master? I am told that in your current incarnation you’ve taken a name that references what you presume to be one of your virtues.

If that's not a reference to the name "Wit" then... 

Still though, considering how powerful we know Hoid is, it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if he could get to and from Scadrial in just a couple weeks; that and I doubt the Fused are any real threat to him. Hell, he didn’t think even Odium stood a good chance of actually being able to kill him (assuming he even can die). 

2 hours ago, Fanghur Rahl said:

Still though, considering how powerful we know Hoid is, it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if he could get to and from Scadrial in just a couple weeks; that and I doubt the Fused are any real threat to him. Hell, he didn’t think even Odium stood a good chance of actually being able to kill him (assuming he even can die). 

I agree he would probably get to/from Scadrial as quick as is possible (weeks/months depending on how long the journey actually is). The issue is that upon arriving he would need to convince Harmony to Divest from Scadrial in order to confront Odium, which would be no easy task, if Harmony were to agree to it at all. I can't see him doing that, and the only other way would be to destroy Scadrial completely, which seems even more unlikely.

The Fused in Shadesmar would be a threat not because they can hurt Hoid, but because they can bring Odium, who can:

I cannot risk too much, because if he finds me, then I become nothing - a soul shredded and broken into pieces that cannot be reassembled. What I do here is more dangerous than you could ever know.

That is Hoid to Dalinar in WoR, if he isn't talking about Odium, I don't know who else it could be.

Actually, I think he stands a relatively good chance of convincing Sazed to help. Sazed is arguably the wisest and most practical character we’ve seen, and I can’t see him scoffing at the threat like Endowment and Autonomy did. He’d be able to see if that eventually he’s going to have to deal with this problem one way or another. 

And fair enough about Odium, but presumably Hoid would be able to if nothing else send Sazed another letter/essay outlining everything he needs to know and explaining why he feels it’s too risky to come himself. Again, Sazed is reasonable enough to not begrudge Hoid that, I think.

14 hours ago, Jace21 said:

1. Hoid is busy on Roshar, he has been absent from the story at times but not to the best of our knowledge, from the planet (depending on when you think he sent the letters). Combine that with the fact that Shadesmar is extremely dangerous right now and the fact that weeks (if not much longer) away from Roshar during the Final Desolation for a relatively low chance of success and I can't see Hoid thinking it is worth the risk.

Hoid disappears in the middle of Words of Radiance for a good while.  Since at that point most of the main characters we know about are congregated at the Shattered Plains, I've always assumed that he went off world (although it's certainly possible that he stayed on Roshar).  Unless I'm forgetting something - do we know what he was up to?  

3 hours ago, Scion of the Mists said:

Hoid disappears in the middle of Words of Radiance for a good while.  Since at that point most of the main characters we know about are congregated at the Shattered Plains, I've always assumed that he went off world (although it's certainly possible that he stayed on Roshar).  Unless I'm forgetting something - do we know what he was up to?  

He was in Kholinar at the end of WoK. I think the first time we see him after that is when he drives the carriage for Shallan and Adolin.

Assuming it take weeks at a minimum to travel to a perpendicularity and then between worlds I dont think he had enough time, despite his absences.

I think his departures from the Shattered plain are for his travelling between places on Roshar, from the Plains to Kholinar and back, from the Plains to wherever Jasnah showed up etc.

• Chaos locked this topic