Mid-Range Game 31: Spiritual Warfare

A Joe in the Bush

I see arguing much more this cycle pointless, since y'all won't believe anything I say. But I am also going to vote for Hrathen to kill Meta

2 hours ago, Alvron said:

I cannot see any way for two attacks on two separate players to be blocked when there is only one BG so Crimsn must be lying either about attacking Devotary or about being protected.  One of those cannot be true if the other is.

Interesting assumptions you make, indeed, oh Ruler of Shadows. While I agree that screwy things are happening, I am not actually lying, and I am as incredibly confused as you are. I am not certain what happened, all I know is what I was told. There is always the possibility of a secret bodyguard-esque role--it is partially a Joe game, after all. It just seems like you are making a lot of assumptions on how things must have happened. Nevertheless, you will see soon enough next cycle, since a tie vote means I will move from injured to hoed. Maybe you'll believe me when I flip Village. :P 

On 04/10/2018 at 3:47 PM, Domi in the Dark said:

Xino was attacked but survived!

Alvron was attacked but survived!

Crimsn was attacked but survived!

Devotary was attacked but survived!

Argh, this is not a good idea but I am changing my mind.

Crimsn I really didn’t originally think you sounded elim but the simple fact you survived propelled me to vote. Due to the current exaplanations, I think I have another theory.

What if Crimsn is Shaor and she attacked Devotary, but Xino was the Bodyguard and protected Devotary?

This way, Devotary would be protected and when the Bodyguard attacked Shaor he would have to essentially protect against himself, warranting the double protection?

Of course, this also means he attacked Alvron, and would make sense how there were two protects. It also explains how Devotary isn’t dead. If Alvron and Crimsn really did attack, and the actual attack on Devotary would happen regardless of fighting back, then Devotary should be dead. The fact Devotary was protected makes sense.

Ok, now that we’ve got that sorted, this theory means Xino is the Bodyguard. But why would the Bodyguard protect Devotary?

The answer is simple: Devotary and Xino are both Spirits, and Xino is the spy. He must have seen our doc conversation on attacking Devotary and decided to use his action to protect them.

Xino

Also, if Xino was really a Wildman Bodyguard and He nullified two attacks (Alvron, Crimsn) he would have sustained two attacks and would be dead, even if he healed last cycle, since then he’d only be able to sustain one attack. Him being Spirit healed makes most sense.

Whew

Fifth.

The path was clear. Lord Raoden, may his soul rest with the Overspirit, had shown them the way to a new Elantris, an Elantris unified by cooperation and harmony rather than pain and hunger. Karata had seen the truth of Raoden’s words, and had joined their cause willingly. Had she lived, her Children might even now be living lives of comparative luxury in the restored section of Elantris. Her Children had met the hand of friendship with the fist of hatred, and they had paid the price for their rejection. Scattered amongst the remaining gangs, their support dwindling, they were to be pitied. Baron Aanden had been tragically killed, his gang whittled away into obscurity. The Independents survived as they always had; subsisting on the barest morsels of edible substances. Ashertma had lived that way once, before Lord Raoden had come. He and his followers had shown her a new way of life, and Ashertma intended to share their teachings with each and every Elantrian.

Only Shaor and her brutish Wildmen still stood in the way of Raoden’s grand vision.  The remaining Spirits had tried to deal with the threat peacefully. Surely there was no need for further bloodshed. None of the Spirits had Raoden's charisma perhaps, but the efficacy of his methods would surely break through even the most stubborn resistance. Why would the Wildmen serve a leader that brought them nothing but violence and death, when they could be equal members of a community that provided food and safety for everyone? The Wildmen's selfish and cowardly attack on the Widow's trial had shown Ashertma that she had been mistaken. There could be no peace until Shaor was neutralized. Ashertma walked to the center of Elantris and bellowed, “Crimsn! This is your final warning. Surrender now, and tell your men to lay down their weapons. If you do so, you and your gang will be welcome in our new society. If not, we will be forced to remove you from power, with violence if necessary.”

Ashertma turned to address the gathered crowd. “Fellow Elantrians! There is no need to be afraid. Lord Raoden has shown us the way to resist the pain that curses us all. His discovery of secret tunnels leading into Kae and his knowledge of agricultural techniques blesses us with more food than we’ve had since the Reod. In time, with your help we expect to be able to restore Elantris in its entirety.” Ashertma continued to speak, and for the first time, the Voice spoke audibly, its deep, resonant tone inserting itself into the pauses between Ashertma’s words. “My friends, Feast we stand now on the cusp of a new age. Throw off the chains of the past ten years, Indulge reject the false belief that our lives cannot be improved. Now is our chance to unite, Embrace The End and show the world that Elantris will rise again!

Edited by Devotary of Spontaneity
Fixed spacing, removed the unwanted bolding.

MR31: Aftermath.

Congratulations to the Spirits of Elantris for their victory over the Gang Lords.
Karata has been converted!
Baron Aanden has been Killed!
Shaor (Crimsn Wolf) has been both converted and Killed! (That’s excessive)

Shqueeves, Devotary, Elandera, Fifth Scholar, and Alvron have been victorious.
(Technically Crimsn Wolf also wins. She was technically converted posthumously, but the Spirits voted, and she wins with them)

There were 2ish secret roles in this game. The first, Ambassadors, are just players who started as Independents and another faction. The Second, Saolin, was essentially a Bodyguard role, given to the first roleless player to be converted. (Alvron in this case)

The actual writeup will be posted within a day. Domi in the Dark is working hard on something. For now, have fun reading all of the Docs!

The Baron’s University
The Children’s Palace
The Wildmen’s Bank
The Spirit’s Church
The God’s Playground

And here is the badly organized spreadsheet of all of the actions.

Devotion’s Dominion

Starting Player List:

Barons:
Brightness Radiant as Baron Aanden! (Deceased)
Steeldancer as Dahad! (Also Deceased)
Straw
Elephant Earwax
Coop772 as the Baron Ambassador! (Also, also Deceased)

Children
Elandera as Karata! (Murdered)
I think I am here as Dashe!
Shqueeves as Raoden! (Very much Dead)
Sart (Killed in Action)
Fifth Scholar as the Children Ambassador!

Wildmen
Crimsn Wolf as Shaor! (Converted and Lynched at the end.)
Xinoehp as her Bodyguard! (Killed by Alvron)
Kidpen (Newly appointed Derethi)
Cadmium Compounder (Executed)
Mailliw (Killed)
Alvron as the newly appointed Saolin!
The Mighty Lopen (Slaughtered)

Independents
Devotary of Spontaneity as Galladon!
Walin
Droughtbringer (Killed)
Bard (Murdered)
Meta Terminal (Alive somehow)

Oh, I am so sorry Crimsn :P I guess there’s something poetic in me trying to help and then screwing stuff up.

Anyway, great game everyone!

Also, can I just say how I completely called everything in the end? I mean:

I predicted Crimsn was Shaor

I predicted Xino was the Bodyguard

I predicted Devotary being a traitor.

All this at the very end of the game, minutes from rollover! If only I was faster.

Edited by I think I am here.

Thanks Jaddeth and Domi for running the game! 

@Domi in the Dark, what would have happened if the invasion started?

Good job to Devotary, who flew well under the radar for pretty much all of the game! Also, I find it ironic that you, as Galladon/Independent, PM'd me to say it would be suicide for spirits to pretend to be independents if they PM'd. Unfortunately, that made me trust you. Thanks for converting me though! I needed another chance at being an elim (though my record is still 100% death on first day as elim).

Crimsn, congrats at surviving so long! I think the only reason I figured out you were Shaor is because it had been revealed in the dead doc.

Apparently, Xinoehp was able to both get food and nullify my conversion of Crimsn cycle 6. I did not think that would be legal. We also could have converted Crimsn and won cycle 5, but I talked myself out of it. Ah well. At least this way, Fifth also won.

@Domi in the Dark, @A Joe in the Bush, what did Hrathen do? If Meta is still alive, Hrathen evidently failed to kill him, which makes me confused as to what Hrathen's purpose was. Would Saolin have been able to kill Shaor if Saolin hadn't been a Wildman? Can you post the Hoed mantras for every player?

That was very fun. Although if I had known that would be happening, I might've tried to get everyone to make Hrathen convert to Shu-Korath just to see what that "Future games" thing would end up being. :P 

1 hour ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

Apparently, Xinoehp was able to both get food and nullify my conversion of Crimsn cycle 6. I did not think that would be legal. We also could have converted Crimsn and won cycle 5, but I talked myself out of it. Ah well. At least this way, Fifth also won.

@Domi in the Dark, @A Joe in the Bush, what did Hrathen do? If Meta is still alive, Hrathen evidently failed to kill him, which makes me confused as to what Hrathen's purpose was. Would Saolin have been able to kill Shaor if Saolin hadn't been a Wildman? Can you post the Hoed mantras for every player?

Had the game actually continued, then yes, Hrathen would have slain Meta. But Meta had already survived so long, i decided to just throw him a bone.

13 hours ago, Crimsn-Wolf said:

//sighs// Welp. I tried sooo hard to avoid unnecessary attention. And then I claimed to Fifth, since I figured they weren't likely to be a convert. And then fricken Alvron. >.>
Anyway, that was an amazingly fun game. Thank you to @Domi in the Dark and @Jaddeth in the Bush for running it!

That was my goal on the cycle after I was converted (which wasn’t until cycle five, and after suspicion had been mounting against me for a few turns from several sources even while I was village), and my defense was specifically engineered to inspire a tentative, transient trust. I’ll admit I was very surprised when you claimed to me, though. :P I thought at most I’d be able to get a kill or two among the Wildmen. Your confession was far more useful, though, even if Alv and Devotary already had you figured out with fairly reasonable certainty.

13 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

you claimed to fifth.... meehhhhhhhhhhhhh.

:D 

2 hours ago, MetaTerminal said:

Called it, Fifth. I’m pretty happy about that.

And also... how am I still alive? Did I dodge three Wildmen attacks and an assassination attempt? Is Kielan immortal?

That was great fun, although I definitely wasn’t active enough. I’d play again.

Well done, yes, even if some of your suspicion was left over from when I was innocent. After your persistent accusations, I was resigned to my lynch after cycle 6, and really didn’t bother trying to keep up my façade with too much effort, mainly doing it to instill complacency so we could hammer Crimsn. :P I tried to stoke paranoia about Itiah to drive a wedge into the lynch, dividing the results, but that really didn’t go very far. 

And I would say that you were more than active enough. You may not have made as many posts as, say, Coop or BR, but you were a very consistent contributor, voiced your suspicions, and didn’t go inactive. That’s an excellent standard of activity. :) 

Speaking of activity, the lack of it was fairly disheartening this game. Even though our plan to convert Crimsn worked, the fact that I had only one serious vote on me was disconcerting, given that I was nearly outed at that point for tying myself so closely to the Bard lynch, and in my opinion our hammer was a little too easy. (Not that it felt that way waking up at 3 AM before a XC meet to do it. :P) I’m not sure where the general issue was, but the fact that I ended up clearing a good number of people, and even factions, in my analyses due to inactivity was again very sad. That said, those who were active were great, and I especially enjoyed my PM with Maill (back when I was village). That was definitely a lot of fun. 

Some other comments—I think this was one of my better games in terms of how my strategies worked out—part of why I stressed Itiah so much to scan our faction was because I had lingering suspicions of Shqueeves from our PM. Alv’s status as an Elim did completely blindside me, though, and my ambivalence about Devotary I felt throughout never translated itself into the suspicion I had for Bard, even if I read her PMs. (I would have liked to see what would have happened if Devotary had no forewarning that the scan was coming.) I also made it a lot easier on future!Spirit!me by conveniently accidentally securing the deaths of two gang leaders in the same night. :P 

Upon becoming a Spirit, I mainly acted as a facilitator of Alvron’s continued health, and as an alibi for his healing. (It was nice to have EE’s support later, even though I was lying through my teeth about my cycle four action.) I had actually tried to spy on Joe’s PMs C4, and was masterfully trolled by the Master Troll. I should have expected no less. 

As my first time as an Eliminator, the experience was enlightening. It’s a lot harder channeling village!Fifth when I’m in a doc with red text at the top, especially when I came into that doc with a good bit of suspicion already accumulated. As things stood I just delayed long enough for Devotary and Alv (who were amazing to work with, by the way) to do all the dirty work of finishing off Crimsn. I’m somewhat sad to see my eternal village status be consigned to oblivion after nearly a year of having kept it faithfully, but at least I could plead that I became evil against my will. :P (I didn’t—being evil was great fun, and I’m grateful to Devotary and Alv for letting me share in their victory.)

Final thoughts: 

-A huge thank you to Joe and Darkness for running this. Especially thanks to Darkness for his writeups, which I greatly enjoyed. 

-Thank you to RNG and Devotary’s decision-making for letting me be in all of the game’s factions save one. I still feel that if the Wildmen had held off for a cycle with attacking BR, I could have been in all five. 

-I again apologise to Elandera, who I should have listened to on C3. Also sorry to all the people I tried to get killed over the course of the game. :>

Maill:
Oh Alv is obvious now. :P He’s totally switched his discussion style in the doc.  But yeah, he’s totally taken over discussion and leading out on kills now.
Oh… Alv just used my name in making up a story about a plot we created. What a storming genius of a move and I love it and hate it at the same time.

Lopen and Steeldancer:
Of course Alv and Devotary are evil. They’re the most unreadable players… >> Hopefully Alv will be killed very soon since he didn’t die from my defenseattack. Next time I can’t find any good suspicion, I’ll just kill one of them! :P 
Good idea. Especially with Alvron. 

Actually, I wasn't leading out kills.  Fifth had contacted me and asked me to see if any Wildmen were willing to attack Meta.  Everything I said in Doc was true.  I was also planning on throwing Fifth to the wolves the next cycle but we ended up converting them and had to change plans.
How could I not use your name?  Those that know you or at least had heard of you knew that you like pulling crazy gambits.  Like you said yourself, it's a plan you would've come up with so it was very plausible that it really did happen and by that stage, we had Fifth on our side and could use him to confirm my Healing.  By the time it would've taken for the village to lynch both of us, the game would've been over one way or another.

You both would kill me just because no one else is suspicious?   How rude. :P  But then I would do the same thing.  In case you're wondering Lopen, I attacked you because Fifth asked me to.  Blame him for your death. :P 
I am surprised there wasn't more calling for me to explain how I survived an attack.  I managed to get away with not posting until near the end of the cycle with only one vote on me and by then, there were several votes on another.  Never, ever give someone, especially me, that much time to come up with a story!  If they have been online, call them out, vote on them, do whatever you need to do to get them to explain.

Thank you very much for running this game Dark!Joe.  I'm looking forward to many more games like this.