Mid-Range Game 31: Spiritual Warfare

A Joe in the Bush

Elantris was unified once. The City of the Gods, most glorious place in all Opelon. The Gods stood together, determined to save the world. With mighty Magics they healed the sick, created just laws, and fed nations. They brought with them the Silver age. Gone was Scaricty. Gone was Disease. Gone was Strife. It seemed that even Death would soon find its cure in the Elantrians. They were Untouchable, Indomitable, Eternal.

Eternity ended when the World split. The Reod, the Punishment, the Fall. What once shone as a beacon to all the world was abandoned. The Gods of Elantris fell, brought down by what they had once cured with a wave of their hands. The Silver Age ended. Elantris is divided now. In Terror, the Fallen fight for scraps, grubbing in the dirt to survive another day. In Hatred, they pull each other down, destroying all progress. They are Unlovable, Impotent, Useless.

Welcome to your first day in the City.

Welcome to MR31: Spiritual Warfare, a Conversion Elimination game. (THIS IS NOT A FACTION GAME) Each player is a Fallen God of Elantris, owing their Allegiance to one of the many Gangs. The Gangs have existed in a fragile equilibrium. Kept steady by the fear of Pain. The Status Quo has been destroyed by a newcomer, Lord Spirit. Who ever they are, they plan to destroy the Gang’s way of life. With a silver tongue, and sharp wit they are bringing more and more to their side. They must be brought down before they gain too much power.

Housekeeping
This is a Mid-Range game of Sanderson Elimination, GM’d by @A Joe in the Bush and @Darkness_. If you have a problem with one of them, talk to @Seonid, our Inconsiderate Malcontent.
Each turn is 48 hours long and has a lynch. If players have an ability, or a faction ability, they may use it once per turn as well as their vote.
PM’s are closed completely, except for the INDEPENDENT role.
This game doesn’t not contain secrets. If you have a question about the rules, ask. Some information is not known at the beginning of the game though.
 All players start with a Pain Level.

Pain:
There are 4 Pain Levels: 0 Healthy, 1 Pained, 2 Injured, and 3 Hoed.
If a player is attacked, they gain one pain level. If a player is lynched, they gain 3 pain levels. If there is a tie, all contenders receive a single pain level. Once a player reaches Hoed, their faction and role are revealed, and they are dead. Dead players may select a 5 word mantra to be revealed to the thread. You must design this Mantra before you enter the Dead Doc.

Factions:
Factionmates know who each other are and share a Doc* and win condition. It is possible to be a member of two factions. Roles are not public knowledge. All factions except the Spirits win together. (THIS IS NOT A FACTION GAME. THIS IS STANDARD ELIMINATION)

Lord Spirit’s Gang:
THIS IS THE ELIMINATOR FACTION. If you are not in this faction, you want to kill them.
The Spirits win if they outnumber all other living Players. They can also win if Shaor, Karata, and Aanden have all been converted or Killed.
The Spirits has a faction ability to convert any other player to their faction. This player keeps their old role, and stays in any docs they may have been in, but their win condition changes to match Lord Spirit’s. Should they target Shaor, Karata or Aanden, all members of their former faction join a different village faction at random.
The Spirits can convert between 15% and 30% of starting Non-Spirits.
All Spirits lose a level of pain when they first join Lord Spirit’s Gang.
The Spirits only start with 2 players, and have exactly 2 sub roles:

• Raoden can make 1 player vote for any player once per cycle. This cancel their previous vote.
  • Galladon can target a player, and learn the identity of two random players from that player’s faction. (Dead, converted, and previously learned all are possible options)

Baron Aanden’s Gang
The Barons win when all Spirits are dead.
The Barons have a faction ability to heal a player to Healthy. The next turn, if they are still Healthy, they move down to Pained.
Barons start out Pained.
The Barons start with 25% of players, and have 2 sub roles.

• Aanden can collapse a building on a player, dealing two attacks to that player. Anyone who targets his target on the same cycle will be attacked once.
  • Dahad can sabotage a building, roleblocking any one player.

Shaor’s Wildmen
The Wildmen win when all Spirits are dead. 
All Wildmen start injured.
All wildmen can choose to attack a player, dealing one level of pain. Their target has a 40% chance of fighting back; dealing one level of pain to the wildman. However, for each additional Wildman that attacks the same player, the chance of fighting back halves. If 4 Wildmen attack the same player, that player is unable to fight back.
Shaor’s Wildmen start with 33% of players, and have 2 sub roles.

• Shaor can never be attacked by her target, and can never be attacked by another Wildman.
  • Bodyguard can Nullify any actions that target the player that they decide to protect. They take one level of Pain for each action they prevent and deal one pain level to the aggressor. If Shaor is attacked by another player, the Bodyguard’s protect is automatically switched to protecting Shaor. Should Shaor become Hoed, the Bodyguard will become Hoed in their place.

Karata’s Children
The Children win when all Spirits are dead.
The Children have a faction ability to protect one Child from all attacks and Conversions, including the lynch.
Children start the game Healthy
The Children start with 20% of players, and has 2 sub roles.

• Karata can convert a player into her Gang. This does not change their win condition.
  • Dashe can raid other factions and learn how many non converted members they have.

*Independants
The Independents win when all the Spirits are dead.
The Independents do not have a faction Doc, and do not know who each other are. The Independents win when all Spirits are dead.
All Independants may start 1 on 1 PM’s with players. There is no limits to how long these PM’s last, nor to how many they may have. All Independants as their action may spy on 1 player. They will be able to view all messages, but they will not know who sent which message.
Independants start the game Pained.
The Independants start with 33% of players, and no sub roles.

This game will begin at Midnight PST next Friday.

bla_1537599599.png

Player List:

1. Astrea (Crimsn Wolf)
  2. Mist (Fifth Scholar)
  3. Ynoga (xinoehp512)
  4. Daan (Kidpen)
  5. Venele (Brightness Radiant)
  6. Ashertma (Devotary of Spontaneity)
  7. Rena (Elandera)
  8. Squid of Sensationalism (Steeldancer)
  9. Agri Kai (Walin)
  10. Spork (Cadmium Compounder)
  11. Mii (Mailliw73)
  12. Itiah X (I think I am here)
  13. Diir (Alvron)
  14. Straw (Straw (Straw (Straw)))
  15. Soul (Droughtdrinker)
  16. Flavio (TheMightyLopen)
  17. A Shqueev (Multiple Shqueeves)
  18. Kielan (MetaTerminal)
  19. Sheol (ElephantEarwax)
  20. SIGN ME UP (Coop772)
  21. Rat (Sart)

Quick Links:

Edited by Fifth Scholar

• Alvron pinned this topic

*counts*

Oooh, I get to be the happy soul! I'll join as Daan, a man who, before being taken by the shaod, was actively trying to figure out a way to get Aons to work again. Now he simply burns those who are hoed in a show of mercy.

I'll join as Ashertma, a woman who believes death should be enjoyed to its fullest. Eat and drink, dance and sing, for tomorrow you may be hoed.

Those percentages add up to more than 100%. 25%+33%+20%+33%=111%, not counting Raoden and Galladon.

Do the Wildmen actually have two sub roles, or is bodyguard a role every wildman possesses? 

Will we be informed at the beginning of the game what percentage of players the Spirit's can convert? Is it possible for players randomly converted when a Gang leader flips to be assigned to the Spirits, and if so, would that count towards the conversion limit? 

What is the order of actions?

2 hours ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

Do the Wildmen actually have two sub roles, or is bodyguard a role every wildman possesses? 

That was a typo. Fixed.

2 hours ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

Is it possible for players randomly converted when a Gang leader flips to be assigned to the Spirits, and if so, would that count towards the conversion limit?

No. That Clarification has been added to the rules.

3 hours ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

What is the order of actions?

Everything is Simultaneous.

I will join as Agrii Kai, who once studied Aon Ehe extensively. He almost mastered the art of kind-of-firebending. He researched with others together in harmony. Then, everything changed when the Reod a-cracked [the landscape]. Only the AonDor, power of all Elantris, could reverse it. But when the AonDor was lost, it...er, was lost.

If the Spirit of Elantris is restored, he plans to take the fight to the Dakhor, whether or not AonDor really works that well outside of Elantris. If he ever were to go Hoed, his last words would be "Fire. The solution to conflict, darkness, cold, unsanitary water...fire." His favorite pastime before the Reod was boiling water, but fortunately he has no lasting burns. Now, the only burning he can do are the chemical and frictional kinds--he's not witty enough for banter.

If I were to be an elim at some point, would I need to lose access to my original docs (and still be part of the original gang, since you can be in two gangs)?

8 minutes ago, Walin said:

If I were to be an elim at some point, would I need to lose access to my original docs (and still be part of the original gang, since you can be in two gangs)?

The only way to lose access to a doc or faction is if the faction leader-role gets converted. You still have access to any other Docs you've had access to.

38 minutes ago, Mailliw73 said:

I'm in as Mii. :)

I second the question about the percentages...

Oh hey, it's that one person who joined before I was around but I know of from the SE discord server and people saying you should be getting back soon!

Arms stretching, Mii rose from the street. Domi, it was uncomfortable out here. He’d once been normal. Now he was a dirty, hurting immortal being who was going to have to live with this pain forever. Reo, life was torment at this point. Being Hoed was almost better, he thought. They were too crazy to really recognize the pain at that point. 

Mii scarcely remembered the last two years. It had all been a blur that seemed to go by too fast to keep track. All he knew was that each day he woke up was a day in hell. The life before he’d been tossed in here like trash felt like a dream. Shialla, Eenda, the rest. Figments of his imagination, for all he knew now. The only names that mattered now were Karata, Sheor, and Aanden. Regardless, only those who controlled food mattered. 

Mii grumbled as he cursed himself for thinking of food. All that ever did was remind him of the pangs in his stomach. Well, he decided, time to try to suck up to one of the gangs and get some more food to last another couple days. Maybe this Spirit guy he had begun to hear of would be more open to new recruits. Mii wandered off, leaving his sleeping place, ready for some action in his life. These two years had been too quiet. 

Mist rose from his semi-sleeping state, stretching tired arms. The deadened muscles protested, growing tired almost instantly, but Mist knew that letting them atrophy was not an option. At least, letting them atrophy more than they already had. He had been strong and young before a blight took Elantris and its inhabitants, and turned the world’s greatest blessing into an eternal curse, which now lay upon him. His thoughts turned to his past, to life, before the Shaod had turned his healthy frame into a walking corpse and the authorities had cast him into a dead city, littered with other dead, to die. The irony was not lost on Mist as he surreptitiously watched the other sleeping Elantrians. He supposed the dead had a better lot than they did. They received a release from pain, and if there was a Hell, it would not be any worse than the living one he, and those around him, were currently experiencing. 

A voice called from the back of the crowd, likely “Spirit” or one of his too-cheery followers. The ridiculous fools were droning on about how drowning in hope or despair would lead to their deaths. Mist snorted; as if all of them weren’t already dead. Besides, he’d seen what “hope” did to the Elantrians. False promises of salvation—or food—were what gained power in Elantris, and a new rival group promising the same old empty lies under a different guise wouldn’t trick Mist. Besides, who were they to judge the relentless negativity of Elantris? Cynicism was a coping mechanism, a beautiful way of confronting all the problems facing them without needing to present any real solutions. 

Pangs of hunger hit Mist, their presence now a weary familiarity. He sighed. Though he had greater self-control than some of the men within the dead city, Mist knew he would need to eat today. He considered Shaor, who seemed to get food the most consistently, but ultimately rejected the idea; the area was too dangerous, and he wanted to keep his collective injuries, which were currently insignificant, from multiplying. Instead, he trudged towards Aanden’s sector, hoping the man had more than his boiled parchment this time around. Casting a glance at Mii, who seemed to be intrigued by Spirit, he called to the fellow Elantrian. “There’s no need to go that way,” Mist called. “Aanden will have more food, likely, and he’s not a troublemaker like that Spirit is. Up to you, of course, but I wouldn’t risk too many unknowns, especially in these tumultuous times. The city is dangerous enough as it is.” 

@Mailliw73 (Also, welcome back!) 

Diir barely paid attention to what was going on around him.  The constant gnawing of his stomach saw to that.  Diir no longer knew how many days had passed since he was thrown into the cursed city with nothing but a basket of food.  Food that had quickly been taken from him by the others.  The only other possession he had was a pair of dice.  His favorite pair of dice in fact.

Another Elantrian shuffled past but this one was different.  This one looked vaguely familiar to Diir.
Huh, maybe my luck is starting to change.

@Mailliw73 Welcome back O Bearer of Storms.  Long have you been missed.