Where's WalDo: The Kandra Worldhopper

Kobold King

• 8 months later...

Reviving this thread because of new information in Shadows of Self!

Paalm perhaps?

I don't think so 

I would presume Paalm had no time to be worldhopping without Harmony knowing - Paalm could have worldhopped after recieving the foreign metal spike and being hidden from Harmony, but wouldn't have had much time for hopping.

However the worldhopping Kandra could have provided the spike?

Reviving this thread because of new information in Shadows of Self!

Paalm perhaps?

Well, the two leading theories for the identity of the "Visitor from Another World" are a Parshendi or Iyatil. This might support the possibility of WalDo = Iyatil. Or maybe just a hint to look for WalDo on Roshar - Sazed sent a kandra there because Scadrial is being visited by Rosharans.

Another thing that strikes me is the similarity of mental instability between the man we known as Taln and the guard that Bleeder spiked to attempt to kill the Governor during his speech. A pretty tenuous connection, but could something similar be at play? Probably not...

perhaps theres a unknown combinations of blessings that allows a kandra to world hop  something harmony would have changed. tensoon had two sets of blessings mayhaps theres a combination that makes world hopping possible for them. rashek made the blessings through ruins knowledge but maybe he witheld or just didnt understand the information towards them. hemalargy  seems to have something to do with souls maybe its not just stealing powers but keeping them intact through worldhopping. random thoughts theres probably a wob disproving it 

I'd like to put a point in favor of the Kandra worldhopper being MeLaan. While Brandon said we would have "more options later in the series" in his interview, we have seen the worldhopper in "one of his previous books." It would not be feasible for a kandra we have met to show up in Warbreaker or Elantris, as those books occur too far back in the past.

I don't know if there's a definitive date system for the Cosmere, but if you use the Catacendre as a reference (using BC and AC), the kandra were created at about 1000BC, which means that any female kandra in Warbreaker or Elantris would preclude any female kandra introduced that we have seen or are likely to see other than Paalm (who is of the Third Generation, but would still be too late even to show up in Warbreaker). This signifies that we must have seen the Kandra in SA (as I doubt he would hide a worldhopper in any of his short stories). 

In that case, we are discussing a time period of circa 350-380 AC (the period of SA, although this is under debate). One thing that must be pointed out is that MeLaan has to be on Scadrial a certain time earlier to give Wax his earring. 

Then there is the discussion of whether Paalm or MeLaan is more likely to be the WH. My answer is that Paalm was on so many missions for Sazed/TenSoon that one of them would have noticed if she had gone missing/stayed somewhere for an extended period of time. MeLaan, on the other hand was less active. Another point in favor of MeLaan is that she seems very comfortable in groups of humans, implying that she may have worked in a society or some other human function (such as the 17th Shard). Paalm, on the other hand, seems to be a complete method actor and seems to put most of her attention to imitating humans instead of working with them.

The relegation of the kandra worldhopper to SA also supports the theory of Hoid's lerasium bead in WoR. He would not have been able to obtain it himself from the Well of Ascension; rather, it is more likely that TenSoon arranged for it to be given to him through MeLaan, or vice versa (as we know MeLaan is very close to TenSoon). The MeLaan=Iyatil theory is also supported by the aforementioned Vin-like behavior, whereas Paalm is not likely to have known Vin (whereas MeLaan has had all of TenSoon's idolization and description of her behavior--don't recall if Vin met MeLaan or not). 

Last but not least, the mask in the SoS broadsheet signifies some connection with the kandra worldhopper and Roshar. Don't know exactly what to make of this, but I think it pretty much signifies that Iyatil=kandra, and I think that kandra is much more likely to be MeLaan than Paalm, especially if Iyatil returns in the second series.

I was reading this Thread and though, hey i asked a question that is useful to this, i should make an account!

Anyways first post and it is regarding Iyatil.

I asked Brandon recently "What world is Iyatil originally from" and his response was "that's an easy one to dodge, not one you have read about yet" which proves she cannot be the Kandra. I also asked about shard pools and something about when the 16 initially picked up their shards that got RAFOed.

Anyways, sad that my first post destroys hopes and dreams and all... nice to meet you!

It's a bit of a blind shot and there's a pretty big tinfoil hat involved...

But...

Paalm was said to have worked closely for The Lord Ruler, to the extent that it seemed she answered directly to him.

The guy held a shard's power for a fraction of a second, but for the kind of paranoid dominator he was/became, would it be unreasonable that he wouldn't have questions or concerns about that power and (possibly) the glimpses of other, similar powers in the cosmere he may have brushed up against.

Paalm is a bit of a stretch, considering her personality and the very focused world-view we got in her conversations with Wax... but I wouldn't put it past TLR to send out an agent to investigate other worlds.

Could also explain the non-Scadrial spike and the tie in with Autonomy in her obsessed drive to "free" Elendel.

As it stands, the Kandra are more cosmere-aware than many races, by simple association with a shard as open and communicative as Sazed.

Just my 2c.

Well, if we have WoB on that, WalDo is hiding elsewhere on Roshar in some obscure (or not) character.

With the theory of connections between Paalm and the Lord Ruler, keep in mind that TLR is dead at the time that we would see Paalm in WoK or WoR. Therefore, she would be under Harmony's command. The only situation in which the Lord Ruler would be her master would be if she showed up in Elantris or Warbreaker, but that would be unlikely--see my points above.

Any ideas on who this Kandra could be impersonating on Roshar? An interesting idea would be the one ardent who fights Kaladin and beats him.

Just saw this and while I haven't read everything I can't just help but feel that this is practically impossible to figure out. So we know it's a female kandra. KANDRA! Kandra are known for taking on unassuming disguises and remaining in the background. I hardly doubt we are looking for someone who was ever given a name. At best she might had been someone a character passed on the streets. Shoot, she might not even be assuming a female body. And who said we are even looking for a human? Kandra dons on animal bones as well. Heck, for all we know she could have been the horse that threw Kaladin in WoR!

Edited by rtfirefly

The events during Lhan's Interlude in WoR have some parallels to Paalm's plot in SoS, at least thematically. Maybe the ardent called Pai was actually a kandra or some other variation of worldhopper who became a martyr to inspire the Alethi darkeyes to overthrown the corrupt lighteyes/Vorinism.

Just saw this and while I haven't read everything I can't just help but feel that this is practically impossible to figure out. So we know it's a female kandra. KANDRA! Kandra are known for taking on unassuming disguises and remaining in the background. I hardly doubt we are looking for someone who was ever given a name. At best she might had been someone a character passed on the streets. Shoot, she might not even be assuming a female body. And who said we are even looking for a human? Kandra dons on animal bones as well. Heck, for all we know she could have been the horse that threw Kaladin in WoR!

Oh come now. You know that won't stop this fandom.  :P

Two additional points brought up earlier in this thread that will help narrow the search process.

There was a WoB that he would not write a female kandra as a male character. I'll try to look it up but I think it's somewhere earlier in this thread.

Whoever is the kandra in SA has to be alive to appear in Mistborn books set afterward (Alloy of Law onward). Therefore they cannot die in the non-Mistborn book they appear in.

Actualy, we only know it takes place after SA2. Brandon has not divulgated the precise timing and may be unsure.

No, he has explicitly said that it takes place after Stormlight 5, at the very least, it could be later:

Q: Does Alloy of Law take place after the whole Stormlight sequence?

A: I have not nailed down the exact timing, but it’s at least after book 5 of Stormlight. Because I haven’t nailed down exactly how long.

(source)

Oooh. Well that's interesting. By then, maybe it's MeLaan. SoS spoiler:

If Odium is involved on Scadrial, Harmony would want to send agents to Roshar. And by Stormlight 5? maybe Odium got out of the Roshar system.

EDIT: I found this. It doesn't really confirm or deny that Alloy is during Stormlight or after book five, but which quote is canon?

INTERVIEW: Jan, 2012 ZAS678 (REDDIT.COM)

How long before Way of Kings is Alloy of Law? I heard somewhere that it's a hundred years, but I don't think that's right.

BRANDON SANDERSON (REDDIT.COM)

I intended them to be happening roughly close to one another, with Way of Kings slightly before.

FOOTNOTE
This is in conflict with earlier reports, so it was confirmed
Edited by Khyrindor

This seems unlikely considering how important the events on both Roshar and Scadrial are to each other but is it possible that the Kandra world hopper might not be on Roshar in SA (so far anyway) but instead showed up on Shadows for Silence in the Forest of Hell or Sixth of the Dusk? Has Brandon explicitly confirmed that the worldhopper is on Roshar?

It doesn't seem like there are many characters to pick from in SfSitFoH and I haven't had a chance to read Sixth of the Dusk yet but it might be a possibility.

Edited by chrisWhite