Where's WalDo: The Kandra Worldhopper

Kobold King

The Only Joe, on 30 Nov 2014 - 12:25 AM, said:

Has it been confirmed that we have seen the Kandra in her Worldhopper form?

Yes, we have seen her in non-Mistborn books.

I asked Brandon a few more questions about WalDo, and got some answers. Just kidding! I got RAFOs.

Q. Is the kandra worldhopper MeLaan?

A. Good question. RAFO. In upcoming Mistborn books, you are going to get to know a lot more of the kandra, so you will have a lot more options.

Q. When the kandra worldhopper is off-world, er off-Scadrial, does she take the form of a human female?

A. Not all of the time.

Q. Has she spoken a word of dialogue in a non-Mistborn book?

A. I can't remember.

Sooooo we're not that much closer to finding out who she is. But we do know that she hasn't spoken very much dialogue, or anything very important. Otherwise, Brandon would have remembered.

Edit: I took his answer to the second question to mean that she doesn't always take the form of a human. She is in animal form some times. But the fact that he couldn't remember whether she had spoken dialogue suggests that she appeared as a human at least one of the times we saw her.

Edited by Newan

I asked Brandon a few more questions about WalDo, and got some answers. Just kidding! I got RAFOs.

A. Good question. RAFO. In upcoming Mistborn books, you are going to get to know a lot more of the kandra, so you will have a lot more options.

Q. When the kandra worldhopper is off-world, er off-Scadrial, does she take the form of a human female?

A. Not all of the time.

A. I can't remember.

Sooooo we're not that much closer to finding out who she is. But we do know that she hasn't spoken very much dialogue, or anything very important. Otherwise, Brandon would have remembered.

Edit: I took his answer to the second question to mean that she doesn't always take the form of a human. She is in animal form some times. But the fact that he couldn't remember whether she had spoken dialogue suggests that she appeared as a human at least one of the times we saw her.

Hmmm, at least the answer wasn't 'no'. I guess the best way to figure this out would be to come up with a convoluted question that will trick him into a little more...something in this regard. Perhaps ask if she has had any important dialogue in a Mistborn book or if she has actually appeared in that series as of yet...

So...this means for all we know, she could be Kaladin's horse. "She ate my horse." The kandra-as-animal-gag continues! She could even be a chull...or better yet, an axehound! If Adolin gives Shallan a axehound pup (or if any character receives one), my bet is that it won't be a real one. The tradition continues... :D

Edited by Nymp

A. Not all of the time.

A. I can't remember.

Before asking that question, how likely would you have thought that it was MeLaan?

Before asking that question, how likely would you have thought that it was MeLaan?

I didn't think it was very likely.  She was the one who converted Wax to Pathism, so we know she was on Scadrial within the last couple of decades.  But a lot of people in this thread were convinced that it must be her because she was the only major female kandra character in the trilogy, so I decided I might as well ask.  

I think with her, we're going to have to wait until we get more from Shadows of Self. I think once we know some more kandra, it'll be easier to spot her. It would've been nearly impossible to recognize Galladon if we hadn't of had Elantris, kolo? Even if we had met the Duladel people before, it would've been really difficult to recognize him but because we had read Elantris, it was easy. 

I'm not saying that we shouldn't try and find her, just that it's going to be really hard without something more to go on.

*rereads Axies interlude*

Ah. Well, alright then, shadows don't prove anything. I feel like such a tool now.  :(

Hey! Wait! Hold the phone spanreed!

When Rysn is passing by Axies on that island in the Reshi Sea, she expected Axies to have a "voidbringer shadow". Doesn't that kind of prove that the "curse of kind" wasn't just limited to a single individual?

Yes but if he says we have ALREADY met her then there is no choice but MeLaan because she is the only female Kendra we know.

Also, I was just on theoryland looking for a WOB for a thread here when I came across this:

MELHAY
In Mistborn #3 Hero of Ages: It isn't mentioned where all the Steel Inquisitors, Kandra, and Koloss went in the end. Do you feel that they were removed from the world and Sazed took all the lost souls to his better place?
BRANDON SANDERSON

Marsh survived. (He'll show up in the Mistborn sequel series.) The Kandra were restored, and have taken a vow to live only in animal bodies. There will never be any more of them, but they are functionally immortal. So you'll see them again. The Koloss who were in the cavern at the time survived, and were changed to become a race that breeds true, rather than Hemalurgic monsters. More below.

If the kandra took a vow to only live in animal bodies then it would have to be an animal. This means that all of our speculation thus far are impossible. My vote now goes to Balat's axehound, which (I'm pretty sure) is female.

Edited by gjustice99

• 4 weeks later...

Yes but if he says we have ALREADY met her then there is no choice but MeLaan because she is the only female Kendra we know.

Not if we saw her in a non-Mistborn book masquerading as a human.  Melaan is just the only named female kandra who we know is a kandra.

Not if we saw her in a non-Mistborn book masquerading as a human.  Melaan is just the only named female kandra who we know is a kandra.

I'm sorry but I don't understand what it is you are trying to say. Did you mean she is the only kandra that has been confirmed as female? And as for the first part, of course we would see a kandra masquerading as a human in a non-Mistborn book. Being on another book is what Worldhopping is.

Except that we saw TenSoon take the place of the constable at the end of Alloy of Law, which means that they can, apparently, take human bodies at Harmony's orders.

You're right, but we should be looking at all possible options.

Edited by gjustice99

I think he meant that any female kandra, who is not yet named, could have taken the form of some character in one of the books. That would  meet the requirements of having seen this kandra before.  It doesn't necessarily mean its MeLaan. 

This.  Let's suppose, for the sake of argument, that the Kandra world-hopper took the form of one of the ladies-in-waiting for Siri in Warbreaker and spent some of the on-screen time pampering Siri (We can assume that the lady in question had died of a disease/accident which nobody else knew about/didn't realize was fatal.  Then she couldl take the bones withiout any kind of moral qualms).  Then we would have met her without any clue she was a Kandra, knowing her name, or anything.  But she would have been totally on-screen, and maybe even had dialogue, in other books.

And if she even appeared again with different bones...I think the requirements of matching the quotes would be satisfied.

They never took any such Vow, They simply can't kill Humans.

Brettin was killed in another case, so TenSoon took his body.

Actually they did post-Final Ascension.  It's talked about in the Alloy supplement for the MAG, and presumably will be mentioned in Shadows of Self.  They can take human-bodies at the command of Harmony however.

Thank you for clarifying!!

I never new there was a Kandra WH!!

I know there was a Terriswoman Worldhopper in Warbreaker

and I think I spotted another Terrisman in Bridge 4

-----------------------------

He was a tall handsome man, who's arms seemed entirely too long for his body. - chapter 80 to fight the rain.

A bridgeman who talks to Shallan

--------------------------------

They are the only links to Scadrial with the exception to Demoux I have found Worldhoping

Oh, I haven't yet read the Alloy or Terris MAG. Other than Allomancer Jak. Thanks Weiry.

Take the info in the MAG with a grain of salt. The info contained within that is not confirmed/contradicted by in novel info or WoB is in a weird state of canonical limbo, if I am not mistaken. I think Brandon said something along the lines of "If I haven't denied or confirmed, the MAG info is canon, until I decide that it isn't." So at any point in time Brandon can make the info held within non-canon. It is why I haven't bothered reading any of the MAG.

I don't mean as a worldhopper. I imagine some huge epic battle towards the end of the Cosmere books on a universal scale where as a last desperate attempt by Harmony to save his people he calls on their ultimate champion. Queue epic gladiator music with explosions everywhere as Vin strolls into life. 

On the topic of the Kandra. If one was on Roshar could Harmony still communicate with it?

Personally, I think this is how the Cosmere story arc will end.

They work out what the threat to Adonalsium is, and have to assemble all of the heroes from the various Cosmere worlds to form an epic squad to go and win the day. Vin, Elend, and Kelsier will be there, as will Kaladin, Shallan, Eshonai, and a load of other Knights Radiant. Vasher and Vivenna. The Shards of Adonalsium themselves. Plus the various heroes from the other worlds.

Now that is something I would love to read, although I would feel very sorry for anyone picking up that book as their first Sanderson novel.

Personally, I think this is how the Cosmere story arc will end.

They work out what the threat to Adonalsium is, and have to assemble all of the heroes from the various Cosmere worlds to form an epic squad to go and win the day. Vin, Elend, and Kelsier will be there, as will Kaladin, Shallan, Eshonai, and a load of other Knights Radiant. Vasher and Vivenna. The Shards of Adonalsium themselves. Plus the various heroes from the other worlds.

Now that is something I would love to read, although I would feel very sorry for anyone picking up that book as their first Sanderson novel.

I don't want to stray too far off topic, but I do not see this happening. Brandon makes clear efforts in almost every book to avoid fantasy tropes. That is why he even almost cut Kelsier's death, if I recall correctly, because he disliked the fact that he was killing the mentor. For Brandon to revive not one, but most of his protagonists, seems almost sacreligious. I can't see him ever breaking a single trope so many times. As a personal note, if that is how this all ends I will not only be disappointed in the story as a whole, but in Brandon as a writer. He's better than that.

To get the thread back on topic though, have we considered the mistress to the highprince Shallan is staying with? I've forgotten both of their names.

Edited by Blaze1616

He is Sebarial, she is Palona.

Checking the Coppermind wiki for her name, this was the entire content of her page...

This page or section contains spoilers for Words of Radiance!
This information has the ability to potentially ruin elements of the plot for the reader. Proceed with caution if you have not read this book.

Palona is Highprince Sebarial's mistress

Watch out for the massive spoilers :)

Staying on topic, what about Taravangian's ardent friend? The one who wandered into the Diagram almost by accident, and stayed.

Edited by Bort