Where's WalDo: The Kandra Worldhopper

Kobold King

Throwing an odd idea into the mix... how about Tonk Fah? We know there were some kandra that Ruin took control of prior to being defeated. I wonder if KanPaar and his associates survived that without being tainted by Ruin's influence? We never see Tonk Fah wounded. He slips pretty easily from jovial mercenary to sadistic sociopath. He has a very disturbing interest in anatomy... not only were his pets tortured, they were flayed open. Maybe a kandra looking at organs and comparing them to Scadrian species?

Warbreaker spoilers. Not strictly necessary in this board I suppose but I like staying in the habit.

I think the main argument that could be made in favor of Tonk Fah being a kandra is his connection to Denth, a Returned and one of the Five Scholars. Certainly if Vasher can be a worldhopper, there's no reason Denth couldn't be too. However, Denth really doesn't seem to think Tonk Fah is anything out of the ordinary. He considers him a distasteful psychopath.

As for the flaying, I don't think a kandra would need to dissect people to take their forms. Mistwraiths and kandra both seem to do it completely by instinct, feeling their way around the bones to get a feel for the species. They could probably do the same to a Nalthian corpse, assuming there are any notable Physical differences in the two types of corpses.

According to Brandon Sanderson in the Warbreaker annotations, Denth is a tragic villain who could have been a lot better than he is in the book, but...

Tonk Fah is a waste of flesh, though. Even if he is funny sometimes.

While I'm inclined to doubt it, I think it's a cool idea. Take an upvote. :)

For some reason I always thought Iyatil was a listener or something like that.

Smokeform, perhaps, "for hiding and slipping 'tween men"?

But no. The Listener forms are a diversion, a distraction. Kandra. We must discuss the nature of kandra.

I think the possibility of Iyatil being a Parshendi is one that should be considered. If we manage to get a question to Brandon Sanderson, we should phrase it in a way to dispel doubt.

Possible questions concerning Iyatil:

"Is Iyatil a kandra?"

"Is Iyatil from a Shardworld we've seen?"

"Is Iyatil native to Roshar?"

"Is Iyatil human?"

"Is Iyatil spiked?"

"What species is Iyatil?"

"People have compared Iyatil's mannerisms to Vin. Are any similarities intentional?"

Which of the above questions seems most likely to get us the information we want?

I wonder about the possibility of Thinker not being the real Demoux, if there really is a kandra on Roshar.  I know we have WoB that "Demoux" was in that scene, but if it's a kandra with his bones, that could be a misleading answer. 

I agree that as of now, Iyatil is our best candidate, but I thought I'd throw out this possibility. 

Edited by deddinty

I wonder about the possibility of Thinker not being the real Demoux, if there really is a kandra on Roshar.  I know we have WoB that "Demoux" was in that scene, but if it's a kandra with his bones, that could be a misleading answer. 

I agree that as of now, Iyatil is our best candidate, but I thought I'd throw out this possibility. 

I am kicking myself because I thought of this but forgot to put it in the OP. Ah well. Have an upvote for being living proof of great minds thinking alike. :)

Demoux seems unlikely. Demoux survived and got a girlfriend as part of an agreement between Brandon and a close friend, according to the annotations and interviews. I doubt this is the kind of character he would then kill off, substitute for a Kandra, and make a worldhopper.

Demoux seems unlikely. Demoux survived and got a girlfriend as part of an agreement between Brandon and a close friend, according to the annotations and interviews. I doubt this is the kind of character he would then kill off, substitute for a Kandra, and make a worldhopper.

We've also already had an 'is Demoux a kandra' plotline in WoA, which makes it even less likely that he's a kandra now.

Agreed, on both points. Demoux is not a particularly likely target in my opinion. I will reiterate that I think Iyatil is our best lead yet.

Although, I do wonder if the kandra who apparently replaced Brettin is a worldhopper. Could the same kandra be both Brettin and Iyatil?

That would be an excellent idea, tbh.

Theoryland's too cluttered and it's pretty hard to keep track of WoBs. Perhaps we should start a specialized page or smth for all the existing WoBs, add categories (like Nalthis, Roshar, Scadrial...)

[conspiracy theory]

Take a look at this quote:

“ReShephir, the Midnight Mother, giving birth to abominations with her essence so dark, so terrible, so consuming. She is here! She watches me die!” —Dated Shashabev, 1173, 8 seconds pre-death. Subject: a darkeyed dock-worker in his forties, father of three.

We have assumed that ReSephir is one of the Unmade, but is she actually a kandra? The name fits a kandra. She gives birth to abominations--could this be a reference to an evil kandra practicing Hemalurgy? Hemalurgy as an art is certainly a dark essence. So terrible. So consuming, as an end-negative art.

And "she is here". Did ReSephir infiltrate the Silent Gatherers?

[/conspiracy theory]

Nothing more that I feel I can add at this point, just want to say way to go, guys! Your ability to find things like this so quickly astounds me.

[conspiracy theory]

We have assumed that ReSephir is one of the Unmade, but is she actually a kandra? The name fits a kandra. She gives birth to abominations--could this be a reference to an evil kandra practicing Hemalurgy? Hemalurgy as an art is certainly a dark essence. So terrible. So consuming, as an end-negative art.

[/conspiracy theory]

Technically, the name is Re-Sephir. It does still sound and look like a kandra name, but with the dash it's not exactly the same.

But make any conspiracies you want to. Wild speculation is in the nature of a Sharder. :P

Nothing more that I feel I can add at this point, just want to say way to go, guys! Your ability to find things like this so quickly astounds me.

Technically, the name is Re-Sephir. It does still sound and look like a kandra name, but with the dash it's not exactly the same.

But make any conspiracies you want to. Wild speculation is in the nature of a Sharder. :P

If it gives me the opportunity to imagine Rosharan Hemalurgy and possibly Parshquisitors, it's worthwhile. :P

[conspiracy theory]

[/conspiracy theory]

I always thought of those as being Midnight Essences.

Dear Harmony... The idea of Parshquisitors gives me chills... 

Stormform Parshquisitor.

Edited by Ketek