Romance in Fantay

I am writing a fantasy novel, but have found myself unable to focus on most of the plot, except where the primary romance is concerned. I want the romance to be felt and profound, but it's not the primary plot of the novel.

How do I keep it from overwhelming everything else? How do I get myself back to the main plot?

Hi, welcome to 17th shard! Nice to see someone posting over here, :) this area's generally pretty quiet.

It sounds to me like maybe the romance *should* be the primary aspect of the novel, if it's that overwhelming and if it's what you enjoy writing most. Can you switch the main plot and the subplot around? 

Or try make your main plot more interesting. Why were you excited about writing it to begin with? Can you make that even more awesome so that it's on par or better than the romantic aspect? Or, do you know what aspect of it is boring you, can you cut that out and replace it with something better?

• 2 weeks later...

I am writing a fantasy novel, but have found myself unable to focus on most of the plot, except where the primary romance is concerned. I want the romance to be felt and profound, but it's not the primary plot of the novel.

How do I keep it from overwhelming everything else? How do I get myself back to the main plot?

If you want to give more details we might have something more to mush around and see what we get out of it. You don't have to give specifics as generalities will suffice. 

1) What is story you wish to tell?

2) Where do you think it went off track?

3) Why do you think its gone off track?

(south park underpants gnomes)

4)  ... Profit!