Madness of the Heralds

Blightsong

I have two problems with your theory (which was very nicely put together):

The screams stormform Eshonai hears are her own. It is implied in OB that eventually she would have broken free.

And this WoB... huh. It's your WoB?

Blightsong

Is anything magical going on with the screams Szeth hears?

Brandon Sanderson

Uhhh, Szeth's screams. Uhhm, I'm trying to decide how to answer this. It is not, see here's the thing. What we would call magical may not be considered magical in the Cosmere, but it depends on your definition of magic. Would Szeth if he were on our planet and have done those things would he hear those screams, probably not, but would someone else in the Cosmere who had gone through what he had gone through hear those screams, yes.

Blightsong

So it has to do with the spiritual realm?

Brandon Sanderson

Yea, mhmm, yea.

source

For me it implies that someone who would have done similar things somewhere else, that person would also hear the screams. And other places in Cosmere do not have Unmade...

Convincing theory! The screams in people's heads seem way too real for it to only be a guilty conscience. This epigraph from WoK ch. 45 always stuck out:

45 "Yelig-nar, called Blightwind, was one that could speak like a man, though often his voice was accompanied by the wails of those he consumed."

For a while I thought an Unmade was following Szeth around consuming his victims and that's why Szeth hears them. Doesn't seem to be Yelig-nar, his consumption has been shown to be more direct and literal, but more than one Unmade may be able to feast on the dead.  The Aimian cook in the OB interlude is worried about "those" that can exploit the souls of the dead: 

“I cannot speak,” the cook said, “even to sate a dying demand. There are those who could pull secrets from your soul, and the cost would be the ends of worlds.

We also know Moelach grants visions to people just as they are dying which is close enough for me to count it as manipulating the spirits of the dead:

Moelach was said to grant visions of the future at different times—but most commonly at the transition point between realms. When a soul was nearing the Tranquiline Halls. 

—From Hessi's Mythica, page 144[14]

There is one you will watch. Though all of them have some relevance to precognition, Moelach is one of the most powerful in this regard. His touch seeps into a soul as it breaks apart from the body, creating manifestations powered by the spark of death itself. ” — From the Diagram, Book of the 2nd Desk Drawer: Paragraph 15[1]

On 9/15/2018 at 6:33 AM, Oversleep said:

I have two problems with your theory (which was very nicely put together):

The screams stormform Eshonai hears are her own. It is implied in OB that eventually she would have broken free.

They weren't just her own, here's the relevant WoB:

dragonssleepinfire

In Words of Radiance--

Brandon Sanderson

Yes?

dragonssleepinfire

After Eshonai bonds the stormspren, she starts hearing this screaming voice in her head.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes?

dragonssleepinfire

Is that her voice?

Brandon Sanderson

Well, um… It is a combination of her voice and something that is happening with Roshar, and at the end of the next book you'll get a big clue.

On 9/15/2018 at 6:33 AM, Oversleep said:

And this WoB... huh. It's your WoB?

For me it implies that someone who would have done similar things somewhere else, that person would also hear the screams. And other places in Cosmere do not have Unmade...

The wording here is so vague I'm positive he slipped out of my question; "but would someone else in the Cosmere who had gone through what he had gone through hear those screams, yes." This doesnt really say anything. How many people in the Cosmere have gone through what Szeth has gone through? He's done and been a part of some very crazy unusual thing.

On 9/15/2018 at 6:58 AM, Calderis said:

I also don't think Ishar is actually better than the others. His "coping mechanism" is just something the others don't recognize. 

Yup, I agree as I say in the post. He's not better but the rest think he's better. I was going off why I think they believe that.

Edited by Blightsong

It's possible that be high invested+ deeply cracked allow you to interface with the Spiritual Realm in this way not too nice.

Of course in this, Dalinar case seems out of place, an oddity. But if we use the WoB about Kaladin be so skilled with the Spear as a child as result of the future skill he would develop thanks to Syl bond and the time indipentant spiritual nature.

It's possible Dalinar and the screams fit that too. Dalinat had connections to tje spiritual a not magic user has not, because he will bond the Stormfather and this affect his soul in a sort of retroactively way.

Edited by Yata

Found this quote today from when Szeth encounter Nergaoul, I think it lends to the theory a bit, or at least the part theorizing the Heralds have a Connection to the Unmade.

This place nearest the red mist had fallen into darkness—the Windrunner had consumed all of the Stormlight in gemstones on the ground. He fought against several enemies nearby. Shadowed darkness. Whispered words. Szeth slowed to a halt. “What?” Lift asked. “Crazyface?” “I…” Szeth trembled, fearspren bubbling from the ground below. “I cannot go into that mist. I must be away from this place.” The whispers.

Especially considering this quote from Secret History:

Spoiler

He fell into step beside Spook, who practically stumbled along. One foot after the other, barely moving. “Keep moving,” Kelsier encouraged. He could feel this man’s pain, his anguish and confusion. His faith battered. And somehow, through Connection, Kelsier could talk to him as he’d not been able to do to others.

Edited by Blightsong

1 hour ago, ScavellTane said:

If its correct that the Unmade are the Dawnshards. It seems that, base on this theory, Adonalsium was somehow experimenting on death.

I'm cautious to prescribe any effects we see from the Unmade to their theorized previous nature. We dont know what their corruption could have changed.

1 hour ago, ScavellTane said:

Let me rephrase that. I don't think they continued to deteriorate after the decision at the Last Desolation. But it began again after Honors 'death'.

Kalak tells Nale in WoR prologue “We weren’t supposed to get worse. Am I getting worse? I think I’m getting worse.”

He may be referring to them already being crazy from the torture and they didn’t go back for more torture. Yet they seem to be getting crazier.

The loss of their direct connection to honor may be part of it. In OB Taln snaps out of his comatose state around the time Dalinar briefly restores Honor’s perpendicularity. We’d never seen him that lucid before. Then he goes back into his comatose state. 

15 hours ago, Child of Hodor said:

The loss of their direct connection to honor may be part of it. In OB Taln snaps out of his comatose state around the time Dalinar briefly restores Honor’s perpendicularity. We’d never seen him that lucid before. Then he goes back into his comatose state. 

We've seen him regain lucidity before (when he sees Shallan Lightweave) and while it wasnt as full a restoration as in OB the fact that it didn't happen during any kind of event related to Honor, or his perpendicularity (like a highstorm), leads me to believe that it had more to do with him seeing Ash.

6 hours ago, Blightsong said:

We've seen him regain lucidity before (when he sees Shallan Lightweave) and while it wasnt as full a restoration as in OB the fact that it didn't happen during any kind of event related to Honor, or his perpendicularity (like a highstorm), leads me to believe that it had more to do with him seeing Ash.

Ah, that's true. Could be the Stormlight she used in front of him. I forgot that Shallan belongs to Ash's order, may have jogged his memory. 

I think the strongest hint to me that the Unmade and the spiritual screams are linked is demonstrated by Dalinar.  Dalinar had previously heard the screams in his mind after the death of Evi and Rathalas and it was driving him mad.  When Cultivation gave him his blessing and curse (essentially sealing off the part of his soul that remembered Evi and his violent past, along with his past connection with The Thrill) both the screams in his mind as well as his susceptibility to The Thrill vanished completely for several years.  Both the screams and the Thrill returned to Dalinar when his Cultivation memory block and soul band aid faded, allowing the Unmade access to his soul once again.

Personally I think the most likely Unmade to cause this effect is Dai'Gonarthis, aka The Black Fisher.  Partly because we know almost nothing about him, but his few references have been extremely interesting:

"Let me no longer hurt! Let me no longer weep! Dai-gonarthis! The Black Fisher holds my sorrow and consumes it!" - Death Rattle from WoK Ch 67 epigraph

also our scene with Ahu/Jezrien:

[Dalinar] "How are the voices?"

[Ahu] "Soft, today. They chant about ripping me apart. Eating my flesh. Drinking my blood."

[Ahu] "Nice. Not bad at all little child.  What of your noises?"

Which one got to you, little child?” Ahu asked. “The Black Fisher? The Spawning Mother, the Faceless? Moelach is close. I can hear his wheezing, his scratching, his scraping at time like a rat breaking through walls.” 

We have a rough idea what the other mentioned Unmade do.  I think it's interesting that Ahu mentions The Black Fisher first though.  Perhaps Dai-Gonarthis uses the screams from the spiritual realm to psychologically torture humans with guilt, and then tempts them with the narcotic relief of "the void", offering an escape from their screams and suffering via emotional emptiness and apathy.  We've seen Szeth drift in this direction before, emotionally numbing himself to escape the pain of the guilt.  We see Moash doing a similar thing now, retreating into the emotional void to avoid thinking about the pain he saw in Kaladin's eyes.  I think both connect well with that earlier Death Rattle of "Let me no longer hurt".

@Subvisual Haze Cultivation didn't sealed in any way his Connection to Nergaoul, He still felt the Thrill for the whole time after that. He simply tried to avoid that and his bond with the Stormfather allowed him another degree of protection to mostly seal off the Thrill for him under normal circumstances.

1 hour ago, Yata said:

@Subvisual Haze Cultivation didn't sealed in any way his Connection to Nergaoul, He still felt the Thrill for the whole time after that. He simply tried to avoid that and his bond with the Stormfather allowed him another degree of protection to mostly seal off the Thrill for him under normal circumstances.

Yeah he definitely feels the Thrill in Way of Kings during the plateau assault where he saved Sadeas. But he will then feel sick right after looking at all the corpses which is the proto-radiant bond kicking in. I don't have the book in front of me, but here is a summary of the chapter https://www.tor.com/2014/02/06/the-way-of-kings-reread-chapter-56/

Interesting theory! I always took the screams Szeth hears and that Dalinar hears to be 1. Because of his violent past and 2. Because they are Invested. With Dalinar, since he is a Bondsmith, it made sense to me as out of all the Orders of Radiants, that Order would have the strongest/easiest time Connecting to the Spiritual Realm. Since this happens all throughout the cosmere, I think the stronger your Connection is the easier it is to hear the Spiritual Realm, perhaps the Cognitive Realm as well too. I wouldn't be surprised if the Unmade have "corrupted" that Connection, at least specifically on Roshar. Perhaps they can see into the person's character and weaknesses and mentally torture them to the point where their Spiritual Webs crack even further, allowing their influence on person to become stronger. Maybe weakening them towards not only their influence, but Odium's as well? 

• 3 months later...

I got a WoB at the Chicago signing for Skyward that is very relevant to this theory so I thought I'd bump it.

Blightsong [PENDING REVIEW]

People tend to hear a lot of voices on Roshar in their heads. And I've noticed that a lot of people either have been confirmed to be in contact with Unmade or show a lot of signs of that. Is there a correlation there?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes.

I definitely think this gives my ideas more weight. While it doesnt touch on my conjectures about the Heralds, I believe this shores up the foundation of evidence that those were built on. I'll admit that there is an argument to be made that my wording was too loose and that one could still believe the counter arguments proposed in this thread, but I think this is as close to an outright answer on the topic as I could have gotten without baiting a RAFO.

What do you guys think? Does this WoB sway you to think I'm right when coupled with the evidence I presented in the OP, or do you guys hold other beliefs on these voices? Feel free to voice your opinion, poke holes, or add ideas since the last round of discussion on this thread!

Edited by Blightsong

• 1 year later...

I don't know if this had been mentioned before. In chapter 1 of WoTK the 9 remaining Heralds sacrificed Taln and the Oathpact. It has been 4500 years since. At present all heralds are mad. Even if one or more thinks one is sane (Ishar) they are all insane. I can't remember who says the actions of their betrayal that didn't go the way they thought. So maybe the Oathpact was still active and they are going mad because Taln was getting tortured in Damnation. Honorblades have pieces of soul of Honor. So maybe Heralds are connected to each other through spiritual realm via their respective Honorblades. Szeth practiced all ten surges using the 8 honorblades the Shin have. I'm not sure how he got this right among the Shin people. Maybe he is Royalty / winner of competition to see who gets trained ( he has nostalgia regarding Skybreaker tests) ....so he trains with Honorblades on all ten surges but with association started connecting to Spiritual realm thus started to hear voices of people he killed with the blades....

What do u guys think?

Edited by Wyndle88
Amended