Monster Melee 1-Whitespine VS Warg (Battle Scene Posted)

Monster Melee 1-Whitespine VS Warg  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which monster would win?

So I've decided I'm going to try to start doing a weekly match up between various monsters and creatures, and we'll poll and discuss, and if I'm not feeling too lazy, at the end I'll try and write up a battle scene between the two with the results and mechanics of the fight we discuss in the thread.

So this week, I didn't want to get too ambitious, I do plan on doing some Cosmere only fights, but to start off with, this seemed like an exciting pair!

So let's get to it! Whitespine VS Warg (LOTR)

In the red corner, we have the Whitespine! Dreaded predator of Roshar, these beasts are about horse size, with carapace armor on their backs that can detach after it has been embedded in the flesh of its prey. They are bipedal, with claws on both their feet, and their cute little T-Rex arms. Also, they are much better at getting revenge on Roshone than Kaladin or Moash are. 

[post=http://coppermind.net/wiki/Whitespine]Whitespine[/post]

In the blue corner, we have the Warg! These viscious beasts are what wolves dream of growing up to be. With an average height of 5 foot, (roughly average horse size, convenient that,) Wargs have terrifyingly sharp teeth, sharp claws on all four legs, and a body built for speed. Wargs are also distinct in they have a superior intellect compared to that of most animals. They're even smart enough to pick riders that are uglier than they are!

[post=http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Warg]Warg[/post]

We'll assume this battle is happening in a field or plains of some sort, a few hills maybe, but mostly open terrain. 

I have to say this is a toss up for me (which is why I wanted to do this one first.) On the one hand, the Whitespine seems to be better equipped, between the carapace armor and those nasty claws and tusks, however, we don't have much of a basis for what their abilities are in terms of speed and strength. 

This is a battle between creatures of similar size, so with the initial advantage going to the Whitespine, the Warg most likely has the edge in speed, and intellect. As far as we know, the Whitespine has only a predatory intelligence, while the Wargs are able to be trained, and even on their own, they show a surprising amount of intellect. 

I'm going to cast my initial vote towards the Whitespine, but I'm on the edge, I think the Warg could surprise me. 

Edited by EMTrevor

In a solo fight, Whitespine is the clear winner. The Warg isn't going to be able to break through the carapace and inflict significant damage. If the Warg gets to bring a rider with a spear, though, it'd turn out quite differently.

Roshone riding a Warg for a spirited rematch against a whitespine? Yes please.

For the sake of discussion, and because I'm so on the edge, I'm switching over to the Warg side! Hooray for flip flops!

In a solo fight, Whitespine is the clear winner. The Warg isn't going to be able to break through the carapace and inflict significant damage. If the Warg gets to bring a rider with a spear, though, it'd turn out quite differently.

Keep in mind that the Whitespine only has carapace on it's back, as far as I have read. The intelligence of the warg would come into play here, and I think that it could outpace it, then charge in from the side and knock it down, going for damage on it's underbelly. 

Roshone riding a Warg for a spirited rematch against a whitespine? Yes please.

Nothing like a fat Lighteyes to bring the edge  :P

In terms of defense and natural weaponry I would have to give my vote to the whitespine. Do we have any details on their intelligence? I know that Wargs are very cunning and clever. The only way I see a Warg winning though is if the Whitespine is very slow...

Here's what decided my vote: People purposefully hunt whitespines, this means they intend to survive and possibly hunt again. Nobody in their right mind sets out warg-hunting unless they can't avoid it. Only seasoned warriors stand a decent chance against a warg, but people like Roshone think they can go out and take a whitespine down? 3rd party measuring stick in play, I vote warg.

Here's what decided my vote: People purposefully hunt whitespines, this means they intend to survive and possibly hunt again. Nobody in their right mind sets out warg-hunting unless they can't avoid it. Only seasoned warriors stand a decent chance against a warg, but people like Roshone think they can go out and take a whitespine down? 3rd party measuring stick in play, I vote warg.

People on Roshar hunt chasmfiends. They have some sort of sanity block when it comes to hunting. I wouldn't use "they're hunted by Rosharans" to mean "they're harmless". If anything, I would consider it to mean "they're so dangerous that it's worth hunting them".

People on Roshar hunt chasmfiends. They have some sort of sanity block when it comes to hunting. I wouldn't use "they're hunted by Rosharans" to mean "they're harmless". If anything, I would consider it to mean "they're so dangerous that it's worth hunting them".

Storms yeah. Put some Rosharans on Middle-Earth and they'd start hunting Balrogs.

Poor Rosharans, they'd be so bored on earth. You know because technology isn't totally fascinating.

The Rosharans would be bored with anywhere that isn't Henders Island or Isla Sorna. They'll probably find this "True Desolation" business to be quite invigorating.

Storms yeah. Put some Rosharans on Middle-Earth and they'd start hunting Balrogs.

Someone needs to write a crossover in which Gandalf, instead of using hobbits to solve all his problems, uses the Alethi highprinces.

Setting: Bilbo's hobbit-hole

Gandalf: "We must reclaim the Lonely Mountain from the dragon Smaug."

A highprince: "Is there a reward?"

Gandalf: "The dread dragon sleeps on all the gold and jewels of the dwarves."

The highprinces, in unison: "We're going on a hunt!"

Setting: Rivendell

Gandalf: "To defeat Sauron, we must destroy the Ring. And the only way to do so is to return it to the fires of Mount Doom, where it was forged."

*Dalinar summons his Shardblade and chops the entire table in half. A rumbling is heard in the distance as the tower of Barad-Dur crumbles to the ground*

Gandalf: "I guess I was wrong."

Someone needs to write a crossover in which Gandalf, instead of using hobbits to solve all his problems, uses the Alethi highprinces.

Setting: Bilbo's hobbit-hole

Gandalf: "We must reclaim the Lonely Mountain from the dragon Smaug."

A highprince: "Is there a reward?"

Gandalf: "The dread dragon sleeps on all the gold and jewels of the dwarves."

The highprinces, in unison: "We're going on a hunt!"

Setting: Rivendell

Gandalf: "To defeat Sauron, we must destroy the Ring. And the only way to do so is to return it to the fires of Mount Doom, where it was forged."

*Dalinar summons his Shardblade and chops the entire table in half. A rumbling is heard in the distance as the tower of Barad-Dur crumbles to the ground*

Gandalf: "I guess I was wrong."

I think the Ring is invested enough to resist Sharblade cuts. But the first one is hilarious. 

"Hello there little thief. I can smell you."

Starvin' dragons!

I think the Ring is invested enough to resist Sharblade cuts. But the first one is hilarious. 

"Hello there little thief. I can smell you."

Starvin' dragons!

The Witch-King of Angmar: "You fool. No man can kill me."

Kaladin: "Then it's lucky Syl is female."

Boromir: One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its black gates are guarded by more than just orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep. The great eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire, ash, and dust. The very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand men could you do this. It is folly.

Alethi: You call Mordor a wasteland? Dude, have you even seen Roshar?

(Yea, that's definitely how it would go. Including the Alethi Highprinces saying "Dude".)

Edited by PorridgeBrick

The sun beat down on Brightlord Roshone, the wind rustling his takama. The open plain before him rose and fell with the meandering will of the landscape. Lifespren swarmed the ground, and windspren giggled in the sky, dancing merrily. It was a perfect day for revenge.

The giant beast underneath him moved with a lithe grace that hinted at a dangerous strength. It was massive, covered in fur, with eyes too cunning. About the size of a horse, its jaws were big enough to pick up a rockbud, maybe two, and powerful enough to crush them. It had a strange soft skin, almost like that of a chicken, but more like hair.

Roshone had no idea where the beast had come from, but he knew a kindred soul when he found one. Its eyes flicked about, searching through the world with a malevolent curiosity. Roshone had been shocked to have befriended the animal, but had been even more surprised, and pleasantly at that, to learn that it took to riding. His was a mount that could cow even a Ryshadium. Or a Whitespine.

They rode in silence. Roshone didn’t approve of men who feigned conversation with their animals. Besides, he and the Warg shared an unspoken understanding- the love of the hunt and the thirst for blood. Roshone could pick out his prey up ahead. It stood on two legs, back armored in carapace and spikes, tusks gleaming in the late sun.  As they drew closer, Roshone thought he could see blood on the things tusks.

Roshone let a bestial growl rumble from the pit of his stomach, and was surprised to find the Warg growling as well, its strange hair standing up on end.  He could feel the animal growing tense beneath him, muscles growing taught. The wind suddenly changed, putting them upwind of the Whitespine, it sniffed the air, then turned to face them. Its eyes met those of the Warg, and the air grew tense. Roshone felt his heart beat faster in his chest as the moments stretched into eternities.

With a sudden snap in the tension, the warg lept forward, bounding towards the Whitespine. Roshone readied his spear, holding himself in the saddle, his bad leg throbbing, pulsing. It was as if his leg knew that the monster who had maimed it was only a few strides away. As they raced forward, Roshone drew back for a thrust.

The Warg and the Whitespine met in a clash of teeth on tusk. Roshone was thrown off balance by the impact, thrust going wide, glancing uselessly off its carapace. There was a yelp of pain, and they separated from the Whitespine speeding away, their quarry giving chase. Roshone recollected his thoughts and glanced back at the Whitespine.

The Whitespine was missing one of its tusks, and there was a large gash on its face that dripped blood. Looking back at the Warg, Roshone saw where the tusk had gone-it was embedded deep in the Warg’s shoulder. It was favoring its other side as well, but still fast enough to outpace the enraged animal pursuing them.

They shot away, then turned in a wide arc, the Whitespine struggling to keep up. As they kept turning a bounding away, they eventually moved out of its sightline. Roshone kept a close grip of the spear, his other hand on the reigns. He wasn’t directing the animal, it hadn’t accepted his commands when he tried, but it didn’t feel right riding without them. They turned back towards the Whitespine and increased speed, heading directly for its side.

Roshone pulled his arm back again. In seconds they were upon the beast, and Roshone struck forward with all the strength he possessed. At the same time, the Warg barreled into the Whitespine’s side, leading with its uninjured side. Roshone’s arm rang with the shock of the blow, and he felt himself rise up, leaving the saddle. His bad leg hadn’t been strong enough to keep him seated during the collision.

Roshone tumbled through the air and landed hard. The spear was embedded into the Whitespine, which lay on the ground kicking wildly. The Warg kept attacking, dancing in between the kicks to snap at its exposed underbelly. It was trickling blood in more than a few places. Roshone stumbled to his feet and unsheathed his side sword, turning back toward the fight.

The trickle of blood had increased to a small stream, and the Whitespine trumpeted in pain and fury. It kicked out again, this time connecting with the Warg’s head in a powerful blow that sent it stumbling. The Warg tried to rise, but it could no longer walk on its injured leg. Looking closely, Roshone could see that another kick had hit the tusk, embedding it further into the beast, most likely locking up its shoulder joint entirely.

Roshone started backing away, limping. The Whitespine had regained its feet, though it looked unsteady. The spear fell away from it, it had only embedded itself in the carapace, not able to pierce the thick armor. The animal circled the Warg, regarding it. To its credit, the Warg did manage to limp around, never exposing its back, but Roshone knew. Damnation take this storming Whitespine. Must it take everything I love?

Roshone turned away, striding away from the battlefield as quickly as possible. He tried to ignore the cries of pain behind him, until the air grew silent again. He glanced back one last time, hoping beyond hope, but no. The Whitespine stood victorious. Blood dripped from its many wounds, but the Warg lay dead, staring sightlessly into the sky.

Edited by EMTrevor

[AWESOMENESS]

You have become king. Of everything.

Seriously, why can I not give more than one upvote. Roshone riding a warg to take his revenge on a whitespine. The perfect conclusion to the debate and the thread. All arguments have been rendered invalid.

The Internet may stand for a thousand years more, but nobody will ever write a more epic fanfiction in so few paragraphs. :D