Yet another Nightblood Theory

Zelly

Pure speculation, fuel it or shred it:

Nightblood is an Avatar of Autonomy.  (or a part/failed avatar?)

I mean, if we can have some sort of semi sentient island (Patji), why not everyone's favorite sword? 

1) From what I understand, Bavadin's not shy about meddling on other Shard's worlds. 

2) Autonomy seems to have a sort of "can you survive this test" aspect (Patji and also mentioned in OB letter to Cephandrius) that I think definitely applies to wielding Nightblood.

3) Nightblood was not what the Scholars intended to make, or rather, what Nightblood is was beyond the abilities/understanding of the Scholars to make.

I can see your thinking, but I think it might be inplausable.

1) I mean, the only Shard’s planet we’ve seen Autonomy meddle with is Scadrial, and even then, we still don’t know whether that’s true. It’s just speculation.

2) It’s been theorised that the letter itself comes from Patji, but regardless, I think if I squint my eyes I can see this, kinda. Taldain isn’t exactly the most hospitable place, but still, I don’t know if we could attribute that to ‘can you survive this?’, per say, and even if you could, all of the previous examples are to do with making places dangerous (maybe so people leave it alone and in autonomy??) rather than a test of an item. Still, who knows?

3) I mean, Type IV Awakenings had never happened before then, so you could make the case the Scholars had no idea what to expect anyway. I do think a Shard may have subtly assisted in Nightblood’s creation, possibly Autonomy, but I would think Endowment based on the points below.

So, we know that one Shard’s Investiture messing with another’s causes the colour red to appear almost all the time. If Autonomy (or really any other Shard than Endowment) really did have a significant hand in creating Nightblood, I would expect there to be red Investiture all over the place, which there isn’t.

You could make the case Nightblood is sentient, and thus has Autonomy in him, but then again, maybe it’s just another quirk of Type IV Awakenings.

So, to end this, I think it’s possible a Shard may have helped or ‘pushed things along’ to create Nightblood (possibly to be apart of their great futuresight plan), and that Shard could have possibly been Autonomy, but it would have to be in small amounts, definitely nothing as big as being an avatar, otherwise we would’ve definitely seen some red Investiture surrounding him by now. Otherwise, I don’t think it makes sense.

Also, why would an Avatar of Autonomy need Breath/Stormlight to function?

So, yeah. Didn’t fuel it or shred it. Kinda, lightly ripped it. :P Hope this helps. Good theory, though.

Edited by I think I am here.

12 hours ago, Zellyia said:

Pure speculation, fuel it or shred it:

Nightblood is an Avatar of Autonomy.  (or a part/failed avatar?)

I mean, if we can have some sort of semi sentient island (Patji), why not everyone's favorite sword? 

1) From what I understand, Bavadin's not shy about meddling on other Shard's worlds. 

2) Autonomy seems to have a sort of "can you survive this test" aspect (Patji and also mentioned in OB letter to Cephandrius) that I think definitely applies to wielding Nightblood.

3) Nightblood was not what the Scholars intended to make, or rather, what Nightblood is was beyond the abilities/understanding of the Scholars to make.

My reaction when I first read this:

hmm.png

Usually I just skim over Nightblood theories that I read because most of them are just repeats or completely wrong from the offset. This one actually makes me pause because I could actually see it being the case. I personally think Endowment is the most likely meddler with Nightblood, but this is totally plausible and I could definitely see Brandon doing it. I'm not sure if Nightblood would exactly be considered an Avatar of Autonomy, but I think Autonomy is the 2nd most likely Shard to be involved in the weird creation of Nightblood.

Congratulations, this is the first new/believable Nightblood theory I've seen in ages! :)

Edited by Obnoxiousspren

12 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

I can see your thinking, but I think it might be inplausable.

1) I mean, the only Shard’s planet we’ve seen Autonomy meddle with is Scadrial, and even then, we still don’t know whether that’s true. It’s just speculation.

2) It’s been theorised that the letter itself comes from Patji, but regardless, I think if I squint my eyes I can see this, kinda. Taldain isn’t exactly the most hospitable place, but still, I don’t know if we could attribute that to ‘can you survive this?’, per say, and even if you could, all of the previous examples are to do with making places dangerous (maybe so people leave it alone and in autonomy??) rather than a test of an item. Still, who knows?

3) I mean, Type IV Awakenings had never happened before then, so you could make the case the Scholars had no idea what to expect anyway. I do think a Shard may have subtly assisted in Nightblood’s creation, possibly Autonomy, but I would think Endowment based on the points below.

So, we know that one Shard’s Investiture messing with another’s causes the colour red to appear almost all the time. If Autonomy (or really any other Shard than Endowment) really did have a significant hand in creating Nightblood, I would expect there to be red Investiture all over the place, which there isn’t.

You could make the case Nightblood is sentient, and thus has Autonomy in him, but then again, maybe it’s just another quirk of Type IV Awakenings.

So, to end this, I think it’s possible a Shard may have helped or ‘pushed things along’ to create Nightblood (possibly to be apart of their great futuresight plan), and that Shard could have possibly been Autonomy, but it would have to be in small amounts, definitely nothing as big as being an avatar, otherwise we would’ve definitely seen some red Investiture surrounding him by now. Otherwise, I don’t think it makes sense.

Also, why would an Avatar of Autonomy need Breath/Stormlight to function?

So, yeah. Didn’t fuel it or shred it. Kinda, lightly ripped it. :P Hope this helps. Good theory, though.

1) "Meddle" may have been a strong word, but Autonomy definitely planet hops and makes avatars all over the place.

2) Thanks for reminding me about Taldain!  (I honestly forget about it sometimes). I've only read the script version of White Sand from the AU, but....that section was a literal survival test.  And I would argue (simply because it's my theory :P), that the Avatar itself is the test.  Whether that is a place, person, or an object is irrelevant.

3) This is honestly what fueled this theory.  Nightblood is just......so, so weird.  People have asked so many questions and Brandon is still pretty evasive, so I'm thinking it must be something more unusual than a "simple" one of a kind awakened metal.

I thought red was Odium's shtick. No idea how/why that could or would relate to the Set and things happening on Scadrial though, so I could be totally off base.  Maybe Odium and Autonomy share a color?   Autonomy has been jeopardized/allied with Odium? I'm getting off topic with lots of speculation? :blink:

If Autonomy's color was black through...mmm I could push some things like Taldain's black sand, but I think it'd be a stretch. :/

7 hours ago, Obnoxiousspren said:

Congratulations, this is the first new/believable Nightblood theory I've seen in ages! :)

Why thank you!

I think this is doubtful. From the first OB letter:

Dearest Cephandrius,

I received your communication, of course. I noticed its arrival immediately, just as I noticed your many intrusions into my land. You think yourself so clever, but my eyes are not those of some petty noble, to be clouded by a false nose and some dirt on the cheeks. You mustn't worry yourself about Rayse. It is a pity about Aona and Skai, but they were foolish--violating our pact from the very beginning. Your skills are admirable, but you are merely a man. You had your chance to be more, and refused it. No good can come of two Shards settling in one location. It was agreed that we would not interfere with one another, and it disappoints me that so few of the Shards have kept to this original agreement. As for Uli Da, it was obvious from the outset that she was going to be a problem. Good riddance. Regardless, this is not your concern. You turned your back on divinity. If Rayse becomes an issue, he will be dealt with. 

And so will you.

Based on the info we've been given, this letter is from Endowment. From it, we can tell that she has a very low tolerance for shards interfering with each other. I feel like with sentiments like that, should wouldn't allow Autonomy to create an extension of her power in her world. As such, I doubt Nightblood is the result of a shard's direct influence other than possibly Endowment. 

On 9/12/2018 at 10:02 PM, Zellyia said:

Brandon draws a distinction between the Avatar and the island itself:

Brandon Sanderson

I'm going to leave it here, understanding that no, I haven't fully explained your question. (I didn't even get into what avatars are, what Patji was, and what happened to Patji the being--and how that relates to Patji the island.) But hopefully this kind of starts to point the right direction, though I probably should have just left this question alone because I bet this post is going to raise more questions than it answers...

source

Nightblood has been described as a splinter (actually as a "robot spren").  While we're not exactly sure what Avatars are, they seem pretty distinct from splinters.  

• Chaos locked this topic