Did they know which shard they took up?

Ambitions Avatar

Question

8 answers to this question

It is not random who got which Shard

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Brandon said offhandedly, "It is not random who got which Shard." Also, Shards very rarely change hands. Brandon emphasized the "very" there.

source

Personally I think that as with so many things it was about Connection. The Vessel most strongly connected to each Shard got that Shard. At least I'd like that to be the case. 

Well, per This WOB we know that Hoid was "offered" one of the shards (a shard we've not yet seen per another WOB) which he turned down. We also know separately that Hoid would have been most tempted by Endowment, which was not the one offered.  From that it sounds like they did have a certain amount of choice and/or Informed Consent durign the process, but it doesnt actually confirm that he knew which one, specifically, he was turning down at the time. 

Questioner

Hoid was once offered a Shard, but he refused it, right?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

Was it right after the Shattering?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. It was during the events. I wouldn't necessarily say "right after", it was during this process. I would say this is a RAFO before I finish writing at that time. (Not sure if I understood the last sentence right, but I think that's what he said)

Questioner

And who took this Shard instead?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO.

source

It appears that they had some bit if forewarning even if it was just in the time between when Adonalsium was Shattered and when the Shards were picked up. 

Afterall, Frost say this about Rayse. 

He bears the weight of God’s own divine hatred, separated from the virtues that gave it context. He is what we made him to be, old friend. And that is what he, unfortunately, wished to become.

What he wished to become. Not what he was stuck with. 

Edited by Calderis

14 hours ago, Calderis said:

It appears that they had some bit if forewarning even if it was just in the time between when Adonalsium was Shattered and when the Shards were picked up. 

Afterall, Frost say this about Rayse. 

What he wished to become. Not what he was stuck with. 

True, though Rayse's goals may have been for non-specific Ascension.  Both in that conversation are talking from the POV that holding a shard isnt a great thing for the Host, long term.  Im not that sure Frost would have phrased it much differently for any other shard.  If Hoid turned one down, presumably all the others would have had (and declined) the same opportunity. 

On 9/12/2018 at 5:38 AM, Spoolofwhool said:

Assuming the way the shards fell and were taken by the original vessels is in any way similar to what happened at the end of HoA, then they should've known. Sazed could see the shards sort of in the physical and when he tried to touch them he could intuit the nature of the shard.

Yes, but Sazed already had a vague idea what the shards represented. I don't think Vin ever mentioned feeling a "preserving" intention when she was in the mists or even when she was ascending.

I imagine that the distribution of the shards was happening on a more subconcious level. The way I imagine it, Ati probably was a figure more comparable to Kaladin and Moash in WoK or like Elant - someone who deep down really just wanted to bring positive change to the world - establish democracy, overthrow the tyrants or an opressive elite, fix the world - that kind of change, and that's why the shard "chose him". Except that his shard never stops "wanting" to change things, which eventually leads to Ati becoming Ruin. Rayse probably, at least that's how I interprete Frost's letter, just wanted to do whatever he feels like without having to face consequences - and I think that (acting on one's passions and urges instead of honorable ideals) is (I think) what Odium represents. But of course that is just speculation on my part, ultimately we'll probably have to wait for Dragonsteel to know for sure.

48 minutes ago, Wander89 said:

I imagine Hoid just put names in a hat and they pulled it out. Seems something the Kings Wit would do!

Don't be silly.  Hoid would have just found several interesting species of vermin and have had them ascend.

Edited by Karger