Storing investiture.

ChetLee

I have been thinking about different ways the multiple magic systems in the cosmere could work together and I'm having trouble with nicrosil Feruchemy. If one stores there magic abilities in nicrosil does that mean they lose their magical ability completely? Can you even store 100 percent of anything through feruchemy in the first place? Like if you stored 100 percent of your health in gold, would you not die from it? At first, I would think that you cannot store 100 percent, but then again identity seems to have to be stored all the way to make a unlocked metal mind. Also, if someone obtained an unlocked nicrosil metal mind, would they have access to that magical ability as long as they had the metal mind? Or would it run out of investiture after being tapped for awhile?

you can temporarily lose your ability to use your Investiture, but when you stop storing it comes back. Basically, Feruchemical storing can go 100%, but once you lighten up or stop storing, you go back no normal levels. second half of your question... we don't really know why it is that anyone can use an unkeyed nicrosil metalmind, but if you don't restore the Investiture of an unkeyed metalmind by storing in it you can run out of power

I'm also wondering if you hypothetically had the twinborn ability to store and burn Nicrosil, could you compound the amount of investiture in the metal mind? For example, I got a Nicrosil coin with the steel feruchemy stored in it. I can only access this stored investiture to the amount in which was stored. However, I burn that Nicrosil and store the extra investiture power into another nicrosil metalmind to have almost unlimited access to that ability, so long as I have some nicrosil to burn. I would think this is possible and could lead to some interesting things. Like someone could collect all forms of power into nicrosil coins. 

The bands of mourning are a little more complex as you can access more than three metalmind at a time, but yes its similar. I'm just imagining a world hopper collecting forms of investiture all around the cosmere and how he or she would best do that.

22 minutes ago, ChetLee said:

The bands of mourning are a little more complex as you can access more than three metalmind at a time, but yes its similar. I'm just imagining a world hopper collecting forms of investiture all around the cosmere and how he or she would best do that.

That is all the Bands are though. A more complicated medallion. 

That said, a nicrosil Twinborn, or even a nicrosil Ferring, could potentially make themselves into Fullborn for all intents and purposes. I fully expect Brandon to break the mechanic somehow because it's broken if it works like it seems it should. 

Nicrosil Twinborn (or Ferring if they've managed to get a hold of a nicroburst medallion) stores the ability from a medallion. Burn the storage, and suddenly you have a potentially endless source of that ability keyed to you. 

Repeat this process with a medallion of every type, and you eventually have all abilities, keyed to you and your own personal bands. 

11 minutes ago, Calderis said:

That said, a nicrosil Twinborn, or even a nicrosil Ferring, could potentially make themselves into Fullborn for all intents and purposes. I fully expect Brandon to break the mechanic somehow because it's broken if it works like it seems it should. 

Nicrosil Twinborn (or Ferring if they've managed to get a hold of a nicroburst medallion) stores the ability from a medallion. Burn the storage, and suddenly you have a potentially endless source of that ability keyed to you. 

Repeat this process with a medallion of every type, and you eventually have all abilities, keyed to you and your own personal bands. 

I see what you are saying. I think I was was just making sure that there was not anything I was missing in my understanding of storing investiture in nicrosil. So I could have a good idea of a hypothetical character I was imagining.

12 hours ago, Calderis said:

Agreed, some kind of check will probably need to be placed on nicrosil ferrings that hasn't been revealed yet. Based on what has been implied in-world already, they may not even even need medallions to effectively become fullborns. I'm sure you're well aware of the speculation, but for other readers: it is commonly hypothesized that a nicrosil ferring spiked with allomantic steel could store their allomancy in nicrosil mind, remove the spike (and replace with another if they wanted) then tap their metal mind later to get the power back on demand. Unless something profound changes, all that separates a nicrosil ferrings from become the next Lord ruler is 31 metal born murders (once you have double steel, and double bronze the rest should be trivial in my opinion), a secret lair, and a jar of blood to keep their spikes in when not being used...

If the above were true it begs the question of why no one among the Southerners, who seem to have a good grasp on the metallic arts, has figured it out. If they had, it would be difficult for authorities to find and stop them before the first couple killings, and then it would be too late to stop them at all and they probably would've conquered the planet already (speculative.)

6 minutes ago, hwiles said:

Agreed, some kind of check will probably need to be placed on nicrosil ferrings that hasn't been revealed yet.

Absolutely. Anything I've said could be done with the medallions could be done with spikes, and probably more easily, would just mean murder to get there. 

And I think that that one would be harder to place a restriction on honestly. With the medallions, you could have some kind of interference that keeps them from creating a personal storage and then using a different medallion somehow... With spikes, we already know that removing a power doesn't change investiture already keyed to you. 

Kurkistan

If you spiked out Miles' Feruchemical gold, would he be able to burn his Allomantic reserves [read: Feruchemical reserves using Allomancy] and heal it back?

Brandon Sanderson

If you spiked out his ability to heal gold and somehow left him alive?

Kurkistan

Yeah, but still having Allomancy.

Brandon Sanderson

Still has Allomancy...

Kurkistan

And he’s like in the middle of burning a goldmind.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, that would still work. It'd still have a Spiritual Connection to him.

Kurkistan

So if you're a Coinshot and you get [spiked] to have Feruchemical steel, and then you lose the spike after making a store, you can still Compound that for speed?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes... Yeah, that should still work.

Kurkistan

Was Paalm doing that?

Brandon Sanderson

That's a RAFO.

source

If you could spike out a power and still compound it, I don't see how taking a spike out could be different. 

• Chaos locked this topic