The book I bought today is

Went to BAM to get the 2 Dragonlance bks I had to have thrown away in my bk purge. Also on my last trip more then a month ago I stashed a bargain bk of Safehold 6 labeled $3 under 2 more with $5.97 labels and it was still there. Clerk wrung it up from back for full HC price and when I said it was $3 he loled and changed it to $1 for me! So yeah I got a HC edition for $1.11 after tax!!!

• 1 month later...

Yesterday, I ordered books 2-10 of The Malazan Book of the Fallen. It costs less than $40. For those of you unfamiliar with abebooks.com, I recommend you check it out. When I was in college, I'd buy the books for my classes there. I always got old editions and had to solicit help in completing my assignments (page numbers never match up, etc.), but I'd save hundreds of dollars every semester.

Just picked up Well of Ascension, Hero of Ages, Alloy of Law, Elantris, and Warbreaker. I'm fresh off my first Sanderson experience with The Stormlight Archives and I was blown away by how awesome it was. WoK was my first book after ASOIAF and I enjoyed it so much more than any one of those.

On 10/24/2016 at 4:22 PM, Zathoth said:

The Blood Mirror (Im sure Im not the only one), Red Seas Over Red Skies, Weaveworld by Clive Barker, Elric of Melniboné by Micheal Morcook and Childhoods End.

I'm only halfway through The Broken Eye, but anyway.

Man, The Blood Mirror is awesome. As I noted in the What Are You Reading? thread, I read the first 400 pages last night. I seriously could not put it down.

First, it seems like a lot of people like Brent Weeks, so I grabbed The Black Prism today at B&N. On our way home we stopped at a local thrift shop to check their book section out, and man oh man did I hit the mother load!!!! 6 different Wheel of Time (all in hardcover and obviously from a single collection) books of varying order in the series, 2 Robert Jordan Conan titles, an extra copy of the first Mistborn book so I have one to give to a friend, and all 3 books from the Zahn's Thawn trilogy for just over $20! 

Just got home and had to come post right away. These cookies are addicting.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I used my Christmas Amazon gift card up and just got my package today: The Wall of Storms by Ken Liu, all four Seven Forges books by James A. Moore, and The Aeronaut's Windlass by Jim Butcher (I probably don't need to specify that last one's author around these parts).

On 1/11/2017 at 2:05 PM, DSC01 said:

The Aeronaut's Windlass by Jim Butcher (I probably don't need to specify that last one's author around these parts).

Well here's hoping you like it more then me. I was bored with it which is sad considering how much I loved both Alera and Dresden bk 1s.

1 hour ago, Briar King said:

Well here's hoping you like it more then me. I was bored with it which is sad considering how much I loved both Alera and Dresden bk 1s.

@DSC01 To give a alternative opinion. I love Dresden, really like Aeronaught's Windlass, hate Alera (only got halfway through book 1)

22 hours ago, Briar King said:

I've loved it so far. I imagine that I'll probably finish it tonight sometime. It's just a good adventure story, and I've been engaged throughout, despite having to pickup on how the world works as I go and there being a lot of unexplained stuff. Personally, I love the cats, even though I've seen a lot of people complain about them. I've actually never read Alera, and I only read the first Dresden book. It was several years ago, and I don't remember why, exactly, but it didn't really grab me.

1 hour ago, DSC01 said:

I've loved it so far. I imagine that I'll probably finish it tonight sometime. It's just a good adventure story, and I've been engaged throughout, despite having to pickup on how the world works as I go and there being a lot of unexplained stuff. Personally, I love the cats, even though I've seen a lot of people complain about them. I've actually never read Alera, and I only read the first Dresden book. It was several years ago, and I don't remember why, exactly, but it didn't really grab me.

You should def look into it! It's Rome Empire with the help of Pokémon. Quite fun!! Bk 1 is certainly the worst of the bunch and I still loved it. Many people have trouble with it's Farm Boy tropeness. Bk 2 is when it flips the switch to epic fun.

Re: Jim Butcher, I've read Codex Alera, Dresden Files, and Aeronaut's Windlass, and I think Aeronaut is my favorite. Although I love Harry Dresden and pretty much lol and gasp my way straight through those books, I think Codex Alera is more consistently high quality, and that Aeronaut surpasses it so far.