The book I bought today is

• 3 weeks later...

My latest book haul consists of: 

The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks 

A Hydrogen Sonata by Iain M. Banks 

Hyperion by Dan Simmons 

And

Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson

The culture series is definitely going to be my next port of call after I read the rest of the Kim Stanley Robinson books I have. 

23 minutes ago, AliasSheep said:

Hyperion by Dan Simmons 

And

The culture series is definitely going to be my next port of call after I read the rest of the Kim Stanley Robinson books I have. 

This haul is Orlion Approved!

On August 3, 2016 at 6:02 PM, AliasSheep said:

Hyperion by Dan Simmons 

And

Gardens of the Moon is hard to get through but the payoff in Deadhouse gates is worth it.

I know I'm posting back to back, but this is the rate I consume audio books.  So I finished the legacy fleet trilogy.  And I would recommend it to anyone interested in scifi.  The story line got rather convoluted at the end, but it was still a good series.

I learned about some dragon age books, contracted by EA, to expand the universe (and squeeze some extra cash from the series).  And the first book is oddly compelling.  Its about how King Marrick got this throne (everyone who played origins knows how he lost it).  I'm not normally into fantasy books, or games, so thats why its odd to me.  But dragon age is the exception in most things it does, so why should this be any different?

Wait @mattig89ch you say you're not usually into fantasy books, yet you're here on the official fansite of Brandon Sanderson, one of today's premier fantasy authors. Is Brandon just the exception for you then? And to stay on topic, I recently bought hardcopies of Caitlyn McFarland's Dragonsworn trilogy so I can get them signed if ever I get the chance to meet her.

Yep, I know.  I didn't know what I was getting into with alloy of law.  I figured it'd be a western esque, steampunk novel.  Never even heard of mistborn till I read that novel.  I haven't read anything else by Mr. Sanderson though, just the Alloy of Law series.

Nope, I have no idea what y'all are talking about most of the time.  But I know how easy it is to get into one of Mr. Sanderson novels.  I just can't wait till the next alloy of law book, and metal bending in space.  That right there, will be an amazing concept.

Besides, I'm either in here, or in the alloy of law sub forums.  I don't go anywhere else on this forum

On 8/14/2016 at 0:28 AM, Sunbird said:

Wait @mattig89ch you say you're not usually into fantasy books, yet you're here on the official fansite of Brandon Sanderson, one of today's premier fantasy authors. Is Brandon just the exception for you then? And to stay on topic, I recently bought hardcopies of Caitlyn McFarland's Dragonsworn trilogy so I can get them signed if ever I get the chance to meet her.

I went to high school with her. We would discuss Wheel of Time during commons period from time to time.

Edited by Orlion Determined

On 7/18/2016 at 2:31 PM, DSC01 said:

tumblr_inline_nwj4wray8e1r6y0ee_500.jpg

That's a sample cover from Monstress. Yes, it's a cover, but the art on the inside is exactly the same:

monstress-1-inside2-650.jpg

I picked up the first issue of Monstress, and found it a little hard to follow. It's definitely a fleshed out world, right off the bat... so you'd recommend picking up the trade, then?

...oh, right. Books I bought. Uh...

Well, I've been buying comic books, but only as singles, so I don't think that counts. So far as actual novels go, though, I picked up an english copy of the first Baccano! novel. Haven't started it yet, though. 

1 hour ago, Straw said:

I got House of Chains yesterday and stayed up most of the night reading it.

The next one, Midnight Tides, might be my favorite one. MT is a very divisive book, much like the entire malazan series, most either love it or hate it. It is different in that it introduces the third big storyline, has no brideburners, and everything takes place in a whole new continent with a brand new cast.

Well, I finished the first dragon age book and picked up the second one.  The ending was a bit sad, but compelling none the less.  There are some clashes with the first game though.

All in all, worth getting.  As it did help to round out Logain and Marrik.