Voidbinding Predictions

Inky

1 hour ago, LiquidBlue said:

I think that void binding is something that is available to humans as well. There is a pretty strong prohibition against trying to divine the future. This seems to be a memory of human voidbinders.

My impression, especially since OB, is that Odium is not trying to set up a Minas-Tirith kind of battle between Urithiru-secluded humans and an international Parshendi inspiral. He tried to Thrill the human army to do the main work of the Voidbringer faction during the Battle of Thaylen City and has chosen humans (Dalinar and Taravangian) as candidates for his championship.

One form of hatred is racism, now imagine if Odium's goal is to provoke humanity into committing genocide against the Parshendi? Maybe in a way humans have always been the Voidbringers.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I agree that the Fused are only surgebinding and that Renarin seems to be the only voidbinder we've seen so far. I guess the question is, is the only way to become a voidbinder to have a Nahel spren be corrupted by Sja-anat, or is there another way?

I kind of suspect that the Nightwatcher is capable of a similar 'corruption', she messes with people's spiritwebs and I think she should be able to do the same to spren. 

I hope we'll see more corrupted spren, and subsequently voidbinders, now that Sja-anat is making first steps to help the Radiants. 

On voidbinding predictions... I think it's safe to say that Renarin is going to play a much more important role now that we know Odium can't see his fute and futures influenced by him. I tend to agree that that's because of his future visions. 

I'm really curious how other void surges work, and what they can do. 

6 hours ago, Ciridae said:

Yeah I agree that the Fused are only surgebinding and that Renarin seems to be the only voidbinder we've seen so far. I guess the question is, is the only way to become a voidbinder to have a Nahel spren be corrupted by Sja-anat, or is there another way?

I kind of suspect that the Nightwatcher is capable of a similar 'corruption', she messes with people's spiritwebs and I think she should be able to do the same to spren. 

I hope we'll see more corrupted spren, and subsequently voidbinders, now that Sja-anat is making first steps to help the Radiants. 

On voidbinding predictions... I think it's safe to say that Renarin is going to play a much more important role now that we know Odium can't see his fute and futures influenced by him. I tend to agree that that's because of his future visions. 

There's undoubtedly another way for Voidbinding, since I don't think we have reason to think Sja-anat is lying about not being able to Enlighten higher spren in the past.  The fact that Voidbinding is known to Vorin areas as "bad" means it was invoked in some way other than what Renarin is going through.

Now, if you could have a Nahel bond equivalent with a higher Voidspren to get Voidbinding in the past, that's another story.  I still hold to the idea that the Unmade are the primary path to Voidbinding, but some of my thoughts on that make the assumption that some of the second-hand information we've gotten is correct.  ("To see the future originates with the Unmade..." along with "Voidbinding was a dark and evil thing, and the soul of it was to try and divine the future.")

7 hours ago, Ciridae said:

I think another way is via Yelig-nar. 

@dvoraen True, yeah, spren like Ulim and Yixli might be capable of forming a bond that grants voidbinding. Right now it seems like they're just doing logistical work, but I've been wondering about them since the preview chapters (I thought they would become Shardblade for the Fused to give them an edge against Radiants).

I do hope we see more of them though, I really liked Ulim and Yixli as characters. 

@Invocation I don't know, it seemed pretty clear from what we saw from Amaram and what it said in the Mythica that he grants the ten regular surges. He might grant voidsurges too, but if so, Amaram didn't use them and we have no lore about it. 

10 hours ago, Ciridae said:

@Invocation I don't know, it seemed pretty clear from what we saw from Amaram and what it said in the Mythica that he grants the ten regular surges. He might grant voidsurges too, but if so, Amaram didn't use them and we have no lore about it. 

What Yelig-nar provides might be just an equivalent to the normal surges that look like the normal surges to an untrained eye and then time passed and with the fall of the Radiants, it just became known as the normal surges in an attempt to justify the Radiants breaking their oaths. After all, didn't it say Amaram was glowing with Voidlight? (i might be misremembering please correct me if I am)

Edited by Invocation

Things we know that (in my eyes) pertain to voidbinding.

1.  Humans aren't from Roshar.  Humans are the voidbringers.  They brought Odium with them.

2.  Humans were told they destroyed a world with "surges" and "surgebinding."   Obviously 'powers' of some sort.

3.  Honorblades grant the same surges as radiant bond.  Nahel/radiant bond is based on Honor and what he did to fight Odium.

4.  The Fused aren't of honor, and dont have a nahel bond.  Their 'powers' seems similar to surges, but different.  The fused are of Odium.

If I had to put those tidbits together into a theory I would say; Voidbinding is what destroyed a previous planet, humans didn't have surges at the time.  The fused (and yelig-nar) are using something that is similar to surgebinding, but functions differently and draws on different powers.  Ie voidbinding.  Now maybe I dont follow the words of brandon closely enough outside of the books if he has ruled that out, but it seemed pretty obvious to me.

As for Renarin, now he's something different.  Sja-anat was not able to corrupt higher spren before, so this hasn't been seen.  Which is partly why Odium doesn't seem to be able to foresee him.  Maybe Cultivation did some trimming or somehow took a small action on sja-anat a long time ago and shes playing the long game?

• Chaos locked this topic