Theory: Hoid wrote the letter in tWoK

Chaos

It's always possible that he was the holder of Adonalsium at one point (although I don't think it's likely) and Adonalsium is currently shattered, so I don't think it's possible for him to currently hold it (although there's a chance that the "element" has something to do with gluing Adonalsium back together and if Hoid did write the letter then I guess one could think of Hoid holding Adonalsium if he currently is holding the means to put Adonalsium back together).

EDIT: DON'T pull a thread off topic when you have already created a different thread about the new topic

Edited by Lantern13

• 9 months later...

NECRO!

21263d1305120619-necro-thread-necro.jpg

Brandon's been answering questions on Redditt again, and Nepene fished this gem out of him:

NEPENE:
Would Ruin be more compatible with Rayse, would he pick up that shard had he visited Scadrial and shattered him? All the shards we have seen that he has shattered seem rather different in intent than him- Honor, Cultivation, Love, Dominion. But Ruin seems more in line with Odium. Rayse has ruined the days of quite a few people.

BRANDON:
Technically, Ruin would be most compatible with Cultivation. Ruin's 'theme' so to speak is that all things must age and pass. An embodiment of entropy. That power, separated from the whole and being held by a person who did not have the willpower to resist its transformation of him, led to something very dangerous. But it was not evil. None of the sixteen technically are, though you may have read that Hoid has specific beef with Rayse. Whether you think of Odium as evil depends upon how much you agree with Hoid's particular view.
That said, Ruin would have been one of the 'safer' of the sixteen for Rayse to take, if he'd been about that. Odium is by its nature selfish, however, and the combination of it and Rayse makes for an entity that fears an additional power would destroy it and make it into something else.

So that's settled. Hoid wrote the letter.

• 3 months later...

Another point of interest is that the letter writer states that: "Let me first assure you that the element is quite safe. I have found a good home for it. I protect its safety like I protect my own skin, you might say." Brandon has confirmed that Hoid has a nugget of Lerasium, the godmetal of Preservation. This could be the element mentioned above, which would add further evidence to the theory of Hoid being the author of the Letter.

• 4 months later...

Can I resurrect this post to point out that this theory has been confirmed by Word of Brandon? one of the Tor rereaders asked a question at a signing 'Is the recipient of Hoid's letter a dragon?' and Brandon answered yes. So two things confirmed in one question. Hoid is the author of the letter.

Sure you can, but I do not see what one could add other than confirm it. If you know want to discuss the implications of it, then maybe it would be best to start a new topic.

• Chaos locked this topic