I don't think I've seen any discussion on this yet, so permit me to be (possibly) the first one to ask: what's the deal with Renarin's box?

I can't remember reading anything of this box in the Way of Kings, but he seems quite preoccupied with it at several points in the Words of Radiance. We have WoB that it is not his Spren (though that wouldn't have been my first guess anyway). I don't think it would have something to do with his (past) medical condition either, as it would seem strange to be so taken by it. I thought it might have been the casing for his spectacles, and that he's developed a nervous habit of opening and closing it, but the descriptions of it doesn't seem to fit with that either.

So, any suggestions?

During my reread, I'll put in all references to the box in this post to help shed light on this:

[Renarin] had a small box out of his pocket and was repeatedly opening it, turning it in his hand, rubbing one side, then shutting it with a click. He did it over and over again.
     He stared at nothing as he did it. He seemed to do that a lot.

- From the Words of Radiance, chapter 22: "Lights in the Storm", page 287 of the Tor hard-cover.

"New technology," Renarin said, still playing with his little box.

- From the Words of Radiance, chapter 22: "Lights in the Storm", page 288 of the Tor hard-cover.

[Renarin had] formed his hands into fists, though Kaladin could see no sign of the box Renarin often fiddled with when nervous.

- From the Words of Radiance, chapter 41: "Scars", page 475 of the Tor hard-cover.

Renarin was there in his Bridge Four uniform, and he immediately joined his brother, speaking to him in a jovial way, though he had out his box he liked to fidget with.

- From the Words of Radiance, chapter 66: "Stormblessings", page 780 of the Tor hard-cover.

As [Teft] turned, however, he caught sight of that other lad sitting back there, fiddling with his little box as he often did. Renarin.

- From the Words of Radiance, chapter 71: "Vigil", page 842 of the Tor hard-cover.

On a side note, I am slightly disappointed that Renarin turned out to be a Truthwatcher, if only because we won't be able to see him blow up stuff.

EDIT: Included references from EMTrevor. I did not notice anything else on my read-through.

Edited by Aether

I thought that the "new technology" bit was Renarin talking about the heating fabrial.

The new technology bit is about the fabrial. I merely included that bit to make it a full sentence.

The reference to the box doesn't really add anything new about it, but I said I would include all references, and I am nothing if not meticulous.

I don't think that the spren is in the box, or even part of it, because in the disadvantaged shardbearer duel, Syl saw something strange near Renarin and flew (Or whatever she does) over to him. In fact (Since I don't own the book I can't say), I don't think Renarin had the box during the duel. There's no proof yet, but I think Syl saw a spren near him.

I don't think that the spren is in the box, or even part of it, because in the disadvantaged shardbearer duel, Syl saw something strange near Renarin and flew (Or whatever she does) over to him. In fact (Since I don't own the book I can't say), I don't think Renarin had the box during the duel. There's no proof yet, but I think Syl saw a spren near him.

IIRC, Shallan sent Pattern to distract the Shardbearer and help Renarin. That's what Syl saw.

I found a few more references in the book. 

Renarin looked anxious. Very anxious. He'd formed his hands to fists, though Kaladin could see no sign of the box Renarin often fiddle with when nervous.

WoR Chatper 41: Scars

Renarin was there in his Bridge Four uniform, and he imediately joined his brother, speaking to him quietly in a jovial way, though he had out his little box that he liked to fidget with.

WoR Chapter 66 Stormblessings

As he turned, however, he caught sight of that other lad sitting back there, fiddling with his little box as he often did. Renarin.

WoR Chapter 71 Vigil

Feather's explanation makes a lot of sense, but I'm not quite ready to lay this topic to rest quite yet. I still want to know what kind of box it is, so I'll continue to List every reference to it that I find. The suggestion that it is a memento from his mother is a good one, though.

Someone on another Thread suggested that it might have been Pattern she noticed, though I suppose it could just as well been his Spren she noticed.

EDIT: O_o, EMTrevor, thanks! I'll include those references in my List as well.

Edited by Aether

Someone on another Thread suggested that it might have been Pattern she noticed, though I suppose it could just as well been his Spren she noticed.

Syl says it's a cryptic.

"There was a Cryptic at the fight," her voice said softly.

"You mentioned those before didn't you? A type of spren?"

"A revolting type." She paused. "But not evil, I don't think." She sounded begrudging. "I was going to follow it, as it fled, but you neededme. When I went back to look, it had hidden from me."

WoR Chapter 62 The One Who Killed Promises.

Edited by EMTrevor

Yeah, it was definitely Pattern that Syl saw. So the box could have contained Renarin's spren - which would make sense, mind you, because Renarin for almost all of the book is convinced that he has to hide his powers because there's something wrong with them and with him for having them. By keeping his spren in the box he would literally be hiding it.

Edited by Wrath

I updated the List with references from EMTrevor. I did not notice any other references to it during y read-through, so the exact nature of the box (other than it's calming effect on Renarin) still escapes us. I shall keep an eye out for it in the Way of Kings when I eventually reread that one too, to see if there is anything there to add to this.

Hey all,

First ever post....

Even though Renarin and Shallan both have the Illumination surge I don't think Renarin can create illusions like Shallan can.  I think Renarin looks through his box to other places/times.  I also think this connection to foretelling is why the Truthwatchers are so secretive.

Hey all,

First ever post....

Even though Renarin and Shallan both have the Illumination surge I don't think Renarin can create illusions like Shallan can.  I think Renarin looks through his box to other places/times.  I also think this connection to foretelling is why the Truthwatchers are so secretive.

Welcome to the 17th Shard, Citizen! Permit me to give you your first up-vote ever for honouring my rambling Thread with your first post ever.  :D

I think Renarin be able to weave Light and Sound just as Shallan can, but it might not manifest in quite the same way, id est he might not have to draw everything before he can produce proper illusions. We have WoB that the shared Surges are mostly the same between Orders:

Q: Is the crossover surge for each Knight the same?

A: To an extent, yes. Each of the combinations make a little bit of a tweak to how things act. But when you see the Skybreakers affecting gravity it will look much the same as what you saw on the Windrunners.

<source>

His Illusions might not be as strong or vivid as those Shallan are able to produce, but I'd wager that he is, as a Truthwatcher, able to use them to foretell the future as well. Even so, Shallan manifests a similarly esoteric ability (as if it magical illusions were not esosoteric enough to begin with). She seems to be able to use her drawing to scry what is happening around the world. At one point, she makes a drawing of Baxil's Mistress destroying what I believe was a statue, and she draws Yalb and another unnamed person getting up on a beach somewhere, hinting that not all of the Sailors of the Wind's Pleasure would have succumbed.

I'm firmly in the camp that Ym and Renarin are both on their way to being Truthwatchers and if pressed I will explain my rationale.  In Ym's interlude his spren, that is hiding in a cupboard, appears to be very shy.  I vote for the box holding his spren which may not be able to hide itself and if it's shy it would need somewhere to hide.  The light spren (my name as one isn't given and that describes its form) that Ym had needed to hide in a cupboard and couldn't disappear.  As the light spren is similar to a Cryptic both in form and they share the gifted power of lightweaving it may explain why it can't disappear like Syl and Ivory.

Edited by thejopen27

• 2 weeks later...

I actually ended up talking to Brandon about this when I met him. It's definitely a stim-toy. Theories that it might have further significance I can see, but it's basic function is to give Renarin something to keep his hands occupied with a soothing motion. Brandon consulted a few different ASD people  when writing Renarin's character, one of them a very good friend of mine. I've read the notes that were sent to him and stim behavior, especially the use of small fiddly objects like this, were dicussed quite a bit. I got to chat with one of the other Renarin brain-reference people at the signing and talking about stim behavior and the box was a topic that came up quite a bit.

My true reasons for asking Brandon about it were... somewhat more self-interested of course, haha. I wanted to make one! Probably two actually. One for myself, and one for Ellie! I mean, it makes sense that my IRL-Renarin should have a Renarin box, right? So, I asked about some specifics. It's small, and it has a sliding lid, which has a spring to snap it back closed when it is released.

Also, Brandon said at the signing that it was polished wood, but the actual book says it's metal, so I think he got it wrong, haha. In fact, that word is missing from the quotes above. It actually says:

"New technology," Renarin said, still playing with his little metal box.

• 2 years later...
On 4/14/2014 at 9:26 PM, thejopen27 said:

I'm firmly in the camp that Ym and Renarin are both on their way to being Truthwatchers and if pressed I will explain my rationale.  In Ym's interlude his spren, that is hiding in a cupboard, appears to be very shy.  I vote for the box holding his spren which may not be able to hide itself and if it's shy it would need somewhere to hide.  The light spren (my name as one isn't given and that describes its form) that Ym had needed to hide in a cupboard and couldn't disappear.  As the light spren is similar to a Cryptic both in form and they share the gifted power of lightweaving it may explain why it can't disappear like Syl and Ivory.

Your are correct, Ym was a proto-truthwatcher. He displays on-screen use of progression, which makes him either a truthwatcher or an edgedancer, and his spren was clearly very different from Lift's. I guess it's technically possible for them to be the same type of spren, by I highly doubt one type of spren would exhibit such radically different appearances. As for the "hiding" behavior, there might be something there, but it's a somewhat tenuous connection. There could be a hundred different places for Renarin's spren to hide, and by WoB there is anything particularly significant about the box.

Edited by Emerald101

On 4/25/2014 at 0:53 AM, FeatherWriter said:

I actually ended up talking to Brandon about this when I met him. It's definitely a stim-toy. Theories that it might have further significance I can see, but it's basic function is to give Renarin something to keep his hands occupied with a soothing motion. Brandon consulted a few different ASD people  when writing Renarin's character, one of them a very good friend of mine. I've read the notes that were sent to him and stim behavior, especially the use of small fiddly objects like this, were dicussed quite a bit. I got to chat with one of the other Renarin brain-reference people at the signing and talking about stim behavior and the box was a topic that came up quite a bit.

My true reasons for asking Brandon about it were... somewhat more self-interested of course, haha. I wanted to make one! Probably two actually. One for myself, and one for Ellie! I mean, it makes sense that my IRL-Renarin should have a Renarin box, right? So, I asked about some specifics. It's small, and it has a sliding lid, which has a spring to snap it back closed when it is released.

Also, Brandon said at the signing that it was polished wood, but the actual book says it's metal, so I think he got it wrong, haha. In fact, that word is missing from the quotes above. It actually says:

Yeah I always thought it was the box Navani (sp) showed that eases aches and pains and I assumed it was a gift for Renarin and that when he was anxious he would activate the fabriel  

First time here too citizen! 

I always thought it was something that his father gave him to mess with during meeting and stuff like that so he wouldn't be supper nervous. And also if you think about it, he really didn't have anything to say at meetings and things like that. But he still had to go just because of who he was. So really he was probably really bored.

And also one of the reasons that why we didn't see it in TWOK is that it might have been for when he was younger and got more nervous and staff like that at meetings, but when he got older he learned to how to deal with it better. Then we see it suddenly in WOR because he's supper scared and stressed out because there is weird thing that are happening to him and he doesn't know what do to.