Kobold King

That's an in character comment and so not necessarily demonstrating absolute truth, if they truly believed that Feruchemy had been bred out of the population then there wouldn't be any need for a lot of the measures to continue, such as making Terrismen eunuchs. It's possible I'm just not convinced that it's certain. Which WoB says that? If you can find it that'd be great and would probably do.

It's an in-character comment but as I said, it's not just someone saying, "oh, I bet the Steel Ministry prolly doesn't know it exists." Sazed says that the breeding program has stopped checking for feruchemists, and as evidence he points out that it was easy to sneak Tindwyl into the program with her copperminds brazen on her arms because no one was going to check, because as far as they knew all feruchemists were eliminated. I mean... sure, it's not a confirmed polygraph test from the Lord Ruler himself confirming that he believed himself the last living feruchemist, but it's some pretty strong evidence for you to dismiss as fully as you seem to be doing by claiming it's nothing but one character's mistaken impression. It's the impression of a man who was once a member of the secret society responsible for successfully committing espionage on the exact breeding program that we're currently talking about, it's not Elend talking about what he thinks life was prolly like for a plantation skaa. It's incredibly well-informed opinion, is what I'm saying. If that's not strong enough evidence to get you to at least consider it rather than dismissing it in its entirety, I honestly don't know what would be strong enough.

While I agree that there's "no need" for the measures to continue, I stipulate that depending on what you mean by "need" there was never a real "need". I bring this up to point out that the "need" has always been subjective. Now there's a "need" for stability, which means to not change anything unless there's a "need" to change it, and there's a "need" among the nobility for the luxury of having a Terris steward. Bureaucracy. Once something is going, it takes something stronger than "there's no more need for it" before it gets dismantled.

Okay, I see where your comment makes sense with the other kind of compounding. Isn't that just tapping, though? I was under the impression that term was just something that Brandon used in a couple of interviews before AoL came out and the "rules" for Compounding were clearly defined. Before that, Compounding was specifically used by Sazed to describe the Twinborn kind of Compounding, though only with regards to how TLR used Atium. 

As for the existence of Feruchemists, I'm pretty sure that TLR didn't want to entirely exterminate the ability. It's just too useful. He was more concerned with making sure that the Feruchemical genes and the Allomantic genes never mixed. I personally think that the Keepers were way too optimistic about how secret they were. After all, the Kandra clearly knew of the existence of Keepers... I can't imagine that TLR didn't. He might not have been able to reliably find one, but I'm pretty sure he knew they were still around. 

While it isn't obvious that Marsh had a gold spike from the beginning, it seems likely that he did. 

Also, I'm not entirely sure where this thread is going. Is it a discussion of the powers of Full Feruchemist/Mistborn individuals ("another Lord Ruler," as Vin would say)? Is it a discussion of hemalurgy and/or the composition of Inquisitors? 

Sazed also specifically mentioned that "compounding" meant, not just tapping a reserve, but tapping it faster than it had been stored, which results in an inefficient draw. I don't know what else to tell you; the same term has been used in-book to refer to two different but very similar things and it's confusing to all of us.

The Lord Ruler did want to exterminate all feruchemists, which was why he exterminated all feruchemists. Every single living feruchemist (with the exception of Kwaan) was turned into a mistwraith at the moment of his Ascension. If he'd had a better understanding of genetics, feruchemy would prolly have successfully been ended that day, apart from himself. You say "it's just too useful." He let some of his Inquisitors have gold feruchemy, but he deliberately kept them from the other powers, because he didn't want them to be too powerful or "useful," he wanted to be it. The premise for the Final Empire was "I am the Lord thy God." He called it "the Final Empire" because he believed he himself would be the single most powerful being for all time and no one could ever topple him and he'd hold the empire together with his bare hands if he had to and he had the power to make it possible. He wanted power, and he didn't want anyone else to have it.

Apart from your personal belief that "feruchemy is useful and I personally would want it around" you've not given us any evidence to suggest that the Lord Ruler himself did want it around or find a use for it. He used feruchemy himself, enhanced with his undiluted allomantic strength, and that was all the power or usefulness he expected anyone or anything to need for all the rest of time. We have strong evidence from the text suggesting the opposite. If you've got something concrete, then by all means I clamor to hear it. If you're just going to tell us what you'd do if you were the Lord Ruler... well, there's a place for that, too.

It's an in-character comment but as I said, it's not just someone saying, "oh, I bet the Steel Ministry prolly doesn't know it exists." Sazed says that the breeding program has stopped checking for feruchemists, and as evidence he points out that it was easy to sneak Tindwyl into the program with her copperminds brazen on her arms because no one was going to check, because as far as they knew all feruchemists were eliminated. I mean... sure, it's not a confirmed polygraph test from the Lord Ruler himself confirming that he believed himself the last living feruchemist, but it's some pretty strong evidence for you to dismiss as fully as you seem to be doing by claiming it's nothing but one character's mistaken impression. It's the impression of a man who was once a member of the secret society responsible for successfully committing espionage on the exact breeding program that we're currently talking about, it's not Elend talking about what he thinks life was prolly like for a plantation skaa. It's incredibly well-informed opinion, is what I'm saying. If that's not strong enough evidence to get you to at least consider it rather than dismissing it in its entirety, I honestly don't know what would be strong enough.

I did consider it, I specifically said it's possible I'm just not entirely convinced, which I'm still not. I don't actually remember the exact quote you're referencing either so that makes it even harder to consider it indisputable evidence of your point.

On the subject of Fullmetal Alchemist references, I must say two things.

First: Allomancy+Feruchemy= Alchemy?

Second is inspired by M.A.G., but what if you had a metal leg as a metalmind or Hemalurgic spike?

Pretty sure Allo just refers to the metal.

Shadowborn, on 17 Feb 2015 - 11:18 PM, said:snapback.png

On the subject of Fullmetal Alchemist references, I must say two things.
First: Allomancy+Feruchemy= Alchemy?

Second is inspired by M.A.G., but what if you had a metal leg as a metalmind or Hemalurgic spike?

Pretty sure Allo just refers to the metal."

Quite a shame that is, quite a shame. But, can we call Fullborn "Alchemists" instead?

• Chaos locked this topic