theory: Galladon in WoK

Zas678

Confirmed at the signing tonight that Demoux is one of people here. See 17th Shard's (misspelled) tweets.

BOOYAH! Good work, all -- especially DiscipleOfHoid!

OK, so Blunt is indeed the "still missing" member of the trio. Demoux has gotten longevity somehow, whether by compounding Atium like Marsh or something else.

And this is additional evidence that the Seventeenth Shard Hoid-Hunters are good guys, although it's still possible that they're deceived into thinking they're doing something good when they actually aren't.

only thing I can think of is hemalurgy as he only needed one spike to pull off the atium-compounding thing, of course, then you have to wonder where he's getting the atium. And where he got the spike from. Or whatever trick Hoid uses to skip forward in time I guess.

Don't forget cadmium.

Hoid's longevity could involve burning cadmium, but I don't know where his allomancy would come from. And for DeMoux, Hemalurgy-assisted atium-compounding seems more likely. (Or he could have a cadmium-burning friend who takes him on time-dilating trips.)

But I'll be surprised if none of the world-hoppers use cadmium-based time-dilation.

Update: On second thought, I like the idea of Hoid using allomancy--or using allomancy-like effects drawn from the spirit web by a means other than metal-burning. Because if he was a supercharged electrum oracle, that could explain his ability to nudge the plot-lines in the right direction. (Alternate Loony Theory: Hoid is Brandon! Complementary Loony Theory: Brandon--or fictional Brandon--lives in the Inkheart universe, where he wrote/invented the Cosmere in order to enter it.)

Edited by Jugulum

well I think Peter said that there was at least one more bead of Lerasium other then the one Elend ate at the Well prior to Vin and co. getting there, and we know Hoid was also at the Well at some point, so it's possible that Hoid took and ate a bead of Lerasium.

Oh! Right. I was just now reading through the Brandonothology for the first time, and saw the stuff about Hoid's activities during the Mistborn books. So yeah, it seems all the more likely that Hoid is an Allomancer. (And he even could have eaten multiple beads, making him very powerful.)

On the other hand, even if he now uses Allomancy for longevity or time-dilation now, I have a hard time believing that he didn't already have some method of prolonged survival. If he didn't, that would put all of the Cosmere stories prior to Mistborn within a normal human lifespan. That seems unlikely.

Compounding atium, if I remember correctly, makes you younger, right? So why would Sazed let Demoux be using atium when Harmony is not up to full strength and never will be, as long as there is atium that Demoux is burning?

I still think that the simplest solution is having the Elantrian members of the 17th shard use the "Age" Aon to de-age everyone every few years.

This would have the advantage of working on all 17th shard members. You find someone who would work well as a member and you don't have to go searching for some way to keep them young.

• 2 weeks later...

The sad thing is... I don't even remember who DeMoux is... :(

I guess I should reread Mistborn now :/

And I know it is a few pages back, but about the Elantris thing and people being turned into zombielantrians if they were too far away. Another post discussed the point that with Elantris acting more as an amplifier and not a requirement, and also the point about Dilaf's wife turning similar to a zombielantrian when an Aon went wrong, when the Reod hit, Elantris as an Aon Rao became wrong.

My belief is that after the Reod the city's Aon Rao started acting like the Aon that messed up Dilaf's wife. And thus I believe that if zombielantrians were to get outside of the influence range of Elantris, they would turn into non-zombies and of power equal to what Shaod-taken people became before Elantris was built. Reod Elantris wasn't an amplifier, it was a blue screen of death for everyone in range. ;)

Edited by Turos

• 2 weeks later...

So it looks like the three in the interlude aren't the only visitors to Roshar in Way of Kings!

On twitter, Brandon had a conversation I already saw others had referenced here, about how allomancy would have trouble affect Shardplates, because of Investiture....but the real important thing was afterwards, people responded with surprise that Mistborn and Way of Kings was connected and Brandon said this:

Multiple people from Mistborn appeared in The Way of Kings.

...umm, WHAT? Multiple people from Mistborn?

And my mind is blown.

Discuss.

Edited by ROSHtafARian

The simplest explanation would be that it's just Hoid and Demoux. I don't know where anyone else would be.

Wait.... actually. There is one more place that I would look.

Remember the Prologue? How there are some people that are there talking to Elhokar that Szeth notices? Maybe them.... After all, it seems like one of them seems similar to a Dula.

Let me pull up the quote:

Elhokar, the king's son and heir, sat at the high table, ruling the feast in his father's absence. He was in conversation with two men, a dark-skinned Azish man who had an odd patch of pale skin on his cheek and a thinner, Alethi-looking man who kept glancing over his shoulder.
These profiles, however, are not nearly as good as the Purelake scene descriptions.

I think "from Mistborn" means "born on Scadrial", so I don't feel Hoid qualifies under this criterion. This is very cool that there are more. Brandon has always said that in the novels there are more worldhoppers than we have caught.

Yeah, even though Hoid appears in all the books, I wouldn't consider Hoid to be 'from Mistborn' anymore than he's from Elantris or Warbreaker. More importantly, Brandon knows that readers who don't even know Mistborn and Way of Kings are connected aren't going to have picked up on Hoid in Mistborn in the first place, so I really don't think he'd be including Hoid in that count.

ETA:

As for Demoux, I believe it makes perfect sense for him to be on Roshar and one of the Seventeenth Shard - his presence is more easily explained than Galladon.

Think about it. Upon Sazed's ascension to Shardhood, he probably became aware of other planets with life on them. If not, I'm sure he at least would be aware of any worldhoppers who came to Scadrial, and although Hoid was probably already gone by then, if worldhoppers from the Seventeenth Shard or Elantris showed up, he's probably going to find out about it. And he's going to be curious.

Sazed being Sazed, his first reaction to finding out about other worlds, other Shards, a deeper mystery into the nature of the universe to unravel....he's going to want to explore this mystery.

HOWEVER. Brandon's said multiple places that Sazed COULD travel to other worlds himself, but there are a number of reasons he may not want to, or this may not be a good idea. Probably due to the other Shards is my guess, but regardless.

If you're the ever logical Sazed and you determine that there are other accessible worlds out there that you can't or shouldn't go to yourself, what do you do?

You send a proxy.

And if you look around your world for a proxy, you're eventually going to evaluate Demoux.

He's trustworthy.

His nature (at least back in the Mistborn days) makes journeys to strange new worlds the kind of thing he'd jump at.

And he's easily spiked with an atium spike which serves the multiple purposes of:

a) Giving Sazed a direct line of communication to him, perhaps even when he's on other worlds, and allowing Sazed to easily 'see' everything he discovers on other worlds

B) allows Demoux, a Seer, to compound atium for the immortality/age trick, so Sazed doesn't have to go hunting for a new proxy every fifty years or so

c) keeps some atium physical and away from Sazed, thus helping to keep his Ruin and Preservation sides in balance, given that Preservation's sacrifice to create life still has the balance skewed towards Ruin.

So yeah. My official theory is that Demoux is Sazed's emissary to the Seventeenth Shard and other worlds. The only question in my mind is if its knowingly or not. Is it a specific agreement between him and Sazed, or did Sazed manipulate him into being spiked and discovering the Seventeenth Shard, so as to keep his distance - kinda a plausible deniability measure in case Demoux wound up in enemy Shardic hands, and they were pissed that the new super shard on the block was meddling in their affairs. I don't think Odium would take kindly to it, for instance, and I doubt defending Scadrial from the wrath of Odium is in Sazed's grand design.

Edited by ROSHtafARian

So yeah. My official theory is that Demoux is Sazed's emissary to the Seventeenth Shard and other worlds. The only question in my mind is if its knowingly or not. Is it a specific agreement between him and Sazed, or did Sazed manipulate him into being spiked and discovering the Seventeenth Shard, so as to keep his distance - kinda a plausible deniability measure in case Demoux wound up in enemy Shardic hands, and they were pissed that the new super shard on the block was meddling in their affairs. I don't think Odium would take kindly to it, for instance, and I doubt defending Scadrial from the wrath of Odium is in Sazed's grand design.

I wouldn't say manipulate, I would say given the choice. After all, as Harmony, Sazed has to create the greatest possibility of choice. As said in the conversation with Wax about why he couldn't interfere too much.

May I put forth a theory?

Demoux isn't in that scene -- at least, not most of him. His bones are, though.

I think "from Mistborn" means "born on Scadrial", so I don't feel Hoid qualifies under this criterion. This is very cool that there are more. Brandon has always said that in the novels there are more worldhoppers than we have caught.

I really don't want to jump the gun and assume this interpretation. "from Mistborn" can just as easily be read as "characters who appeared in the Mistborn series of books, even briefly."

May I put forth a theory?

Demoux isn't in that scene -- at least, not most of him. His bones are, though.

I really don't want to jump the gun and assume this interpretation. "from Mistborn" can just as easily be read as "characters who appeared in the Mistborn series of books, even briefly."

But still, Hoid was never even named as Hoid in the Mistborn books, and the twitter comment was a direct response to people who were previously unaware that Mistborn and Way of Kings were connected. Brandon might play coy at times, but there's no way he would have responded that way if he meant just Demoux and Hoid by 'multiple' because there's absolutely, one hundred percent no way seeing Hoid in WoK would equal seeing someone from Mistborn for a reader who had no way of knowing an unnamed beggar in WoA had any significance whatsoever.

I actually was really worried about this, so I asked Brandon, and I got an answer from him.

Zas678: I have one question that came up recently from your tweet. You said that there are "multiple" people from Mistborn in WoK. Does this include Hoid?

Brandon Sanderson: Yes, it does.

So we may already know everyone from Mistborn that's in WoK.

Top post on this page says Demoux is confirmed to be in WoK.

and apparently he's not allowed to die because of promises made.

EDIT: nevermind. top post on last page. Somebody posted before me :(

I know. Brandon said something to the effect of "Demoux is indeed in that scene." But that could just mean his bones were there.

i.e. he's a Kandra. Which are immortal.

Also, thanks Zas. I just had a bad feeling about trying to fixate too heavily on that point.

Edited by Pechvarry